Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: King on Twitter

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Curly View Post
    I thought this thread was about Stephen King. Can the mods move these posts somewhere more appropriate?
    This ties into King's Twitter account.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    The revolution eats its own. Some people have to find out the hard way. They pontificate in the erroneous belief that everyone agrees as they do and demand that others apologize or be driven from society, then they step in it themselves and are chased by the mob. It would be humorous if it wasn't so sad.
    I take it you agree with her comments as well? Why not just say you do? Otherwise I don’t know why you would be outraged that someone is getting criticized for transphobia.

She’s still a hugely successful author. No one is burning her books. They’re not closing down her theme park, cancelling her movies or upcoming video games based on her work.

But yes because she’s bigoted towards a marginalized group of people others are going to condemn her. That’s how it works. Stop acting like she’s a victim.
    LOL. My point is that the mob can and will eventually find something they don't like about everyone. If you go after them like the villagers marching on Frankenstein's castle any time that they offer a point of view that varies from the PC police, it will have an unfortunate chilling effect. You already have many good people who are scared to say anything for fear of offending someone. That is not a healthy situation. She expressed an opinion. Big deal. No one needs her approval to go about their life as they see fit. What this is really about is trying to coerce society into accepting a certain world view and silencing any contrary opinions.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You already have many good people who are scared to say anything for fear of offending someone.
    Easy solution to this is to not be an asshole and say offensive things.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Curly View Post
    I thought this thread was about Stephen King. Can the mods move these posts somewhere more appropriate?
    This ties into King's Twitter account.
    Precisely.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

LOL. My point is that the mob can and will eventually find something they don't like about everyone. If you go after them like the villagers marching on Frankenstein's castle any time that they offer a point of view that varies from the PC police, it will have an unfortunate chilling effect. You already have many good people who are scared to say anything for fear of offending someone. That is not a healthy situation. She expressed an opinion. Big deal. No one needs her approval to go about their life as they see fit. What this is really about is trying to coerce society into accepting a certain world view and silencing any contrary opinions.
    There are plenty of contrary opinions that aren’t attacking marginalized people from a position of status. You either don’t get that or you agree with what Rowling said but don’t want to admit it for some reason. She's even liking tweets supporting conversion therapy. You really don't get why people who support trans rights would take an issue with that?
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Rowland isn’t a victim here?

If you posted some opinions online that other people found offensive ...

... and their response was to go back over every single thing you had posted online in the last 25 years, looking for the most ignorant and bigoted thing you have ever said, things that you no longer believe ...

... sometimes taking statements and ideas out of context, and deliberately misinterpreting them in order to make you look as hateful as possible ...

... and they then made videos about those posts, and posted quotes and summaries and interpretations of those quotes for the sole purpose of showing the world what a terrible person you were ...

... would you feel victimized?

I can disagree with Rowling’s position on whether trans women are women, and also think that the reaction to those statements are unreasonable and unfair to her.

Irrational hate is not a valid response-even to irrational hate.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The overwhelming amount of reaction I have seen has been to her most recent manifesto. Not saying that people haven’t tried digging up dirt from twenty-five years ago and made YouTube videos of it but it’s not widespread. I certainly haven’t seen any major publications or even fringe sites discussing something that far back.

She wrote a lengthy essay that no one asked for during Pride Month. That’s when she received the brunt of the blowback. People have known she was a terf for a while now and while it was always in the background there was more backlash over Johnny Depp being in her film.

I do think cancel culture can be ridiculous especially if you’re digging up offensive jokes made ten years ago but in this case she’s a public figure making controversial statements and getting flack for it.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

My “25 years ago“ comment was referring to her Harry Potter books. People have been going back through them and finding “evidence“ of anti-Semitism (goblins), pro slavery (house elves), racism against Chinese people (the Cho Chang character) and so on. Utter nonsense, of course, but that doesn’t stop people from using their own ignorant interpretations of her work as grounds for character assassination.

Responding to the comments that she’s making today, and showing how they are hurtful and ignorant, is something I support. But this poring over her past work in order to “prove” she’s a terrible person, and therefore wrong, just seems like a bunch of people who loved her work taking revenge on her because of her views.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Country
    Country Flag

Well those controversies had been there for years long before the trans controversy happened. I remember defending the use of house elves in regards to slavery (as yes its obviously not pro-slavery) way back in the early 2000s. And these things have been discussed on/off throughout the years for different reasons. I.E. Cho Chang was discussed a bit after Rowling revealed Voldemort's pet snake used to be an Asian woman in the last 'Fantastic Beasts' film for example which caused a bit of controversy.

But yes I agree trying to retroactively cancel her over stuff like that is stupid.

My Collection

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

The revolution eats its own. Some people have to find out the hard way. They pontificate in the erroneous belief that everyone agrees as they do and demand that others apologize or be driven from society, then they step in it themselves and are chased by the mob. It would be humorous if it wasn't so sad.
    I take it you agree with her comments as well? Why not just say you do? Otherwise I don’t know why you would be outraged that someone is getting criticized for transphobia.

She’s still a hugely successful author. No one is burning her books. They’re not closing down her theme park, cancelling her movies or upcoming video games based on her work.

But yes because she’s bigoted towards a marginalized group of people others are going to condemn her. That’s how it works. Stop acting like she’s a victim.
    This is why, even though I never comment on social media besides this site, my family and I are deleting all Facebook/Twitter accounts.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Good, Facebook is literal evil.

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    You already have many good people who are scared to say anything for fear of offending someone.
    Yes, I'm sure that is what is being done by suggesting everyone with a contrary point of view to the PC mob is evil, stupid or a bigot. LOL. That used to be called bullying by the very folks now who are dishing this out. I disagree with almost everything that Stephen King posts. He comes off as a petulant, hypocrite but I don't suggest that because I disagree with his political views that he is evil and should be silenced. He is probably well intentioned in his own misguided way. I don't know him personally to judge or really even care. His views on politics are of no importance to me. So maybe relax. Life is short. Pick your bad guys/girls or whatever carefully. It's not a race to the end.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Pos rep sent.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm going to request (not demand), that any additional discussion be posted in the correct forum/thread.
    Look around, there are several threads.

RF

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

There's a difference between saying something that someone with a differing opinion might consider offensive vs saying something truly offensive. Unfortunately in the the current climate it all gets lumped together and anyone offering contrary argument or opinion on sensitive topics are immediate labeled (racist, xenophobe, supremist etc take your pick) and excoriated making healthy and productive discussions very difficult.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    There's a difference between saying something that someone with a differing opinion might consider offensive vs saying something truly offensive.
    Who makes that call as to what is truly offensive and what someone might just consider to be offensive?

If a trans person is offended at JK Rowling attacking transgender people should a cis person be the one to say “there’s nothing wrong with that, get over it”?

My Collection

Gunslinger Apprentice M_O_O_N has a little shameless behaviour in the past M_O_O_N's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Look! Over here! It's Molly!

"Molly, aka the Thing of Evil, reacts to Yoshi saying, "Let's be good for a change! We'll get more treats, and people will like us! I might even stop shitting on the floor in front of the TV!"

There are no coincidences. Only Ka.
    ~I don't like rep points! ~
    Please use only the 'I disapprove' option for me. (If it do ya fine.)

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

There's a difference between saying something that someone with a differing opinion might consider offensive vs saying something truly offensive.
    Who makes that call as to what is truly offensive and what someone might just consider to be offensive?
    Good question. These days it seems to be anyone with an online platform who wants to be judge and jury.

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah the whole “what’s the big deal, just ignore her, you’re persecuting her for her opinions” is just disingenuous especially when you factor in that Rowling is probably the biggest living author who has a huge platform to spread her views. If people agree with her (and I suspect some here do) then just say it so we know where you stand.

My Collection

Country
    Country Flag

Not to drag this debate out for much longer, we should probably move on, but I can say that as a trans person it does offend immensely. Her long essay is full of inaccuracies and falsehoods when attempting to provide facts. This is why I posted that long video earlier which goes over it statement by statement and provides clarification and education. One of the analogies for the bathroom situation she brings up is saying that allowing black women into these bathrooms will endanger white women. It's nonsense and fear-mongering. But we live in a time when facts are up for debate.

Country
    Country Flag

I believe trans women are women. I do not believe that hate speech and shaming speech are acceptable. Those things are the enemy of rational discourse. Treat even those with whom you disagree with the dignity you expect yourself.
    https://twitter.com/StephenKing/stat...731104768?s=20

My Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Good question. These days it seems to be anyone with an online platform who wants to be judge and jury.
    As someone that has been denied their identity in life by religion, family members, politicians and members of the community, I can say that THAT is truly offensive. Denying trans folks their identities because you have a contrary POV is rather heinous.
    Not sure if you are directing your response to me. If so, my comments were a general observation about the judgmental nature of the online world and the risks that are inherent with voicing a contrary opinion and not about the current JK Rowling conversation in this thread.

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Yes, I'm sure that is what is being done by suggesting everyone with a contrary point of view to the PC mob is evil, stupid or a bigot. LOL. That used to be called bullying by the very folks now who are dishing this out. I disagree with almost everything that Stephen King posts. He comes off as a petulant, hypocrite but I don't suggest that because I disagree with his political views that he is evil and should be silenced. He is probably well intentioned in his own misguided way. I don't know him personally to judge or really even care. His views on politics are of no importance to me. So maybe relax. Life is short. Pick your bad guys/girls or whatever carefully. It's not a race to the end.
    Great post.

Country
    Country Flag

I wonder how many of the people suggesting we should just ignore Rowling for her using her celebrity status to undermine a marginalized group will do the same next time King insults Trump or Republicans.

My Collection

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wonder how many of the people suggesting we should just ignore Rowling for her using her celebrity status to undermine a marginalized group will do the same next time King insults Trump or Republicans.
    Not the same thing. Republicans are not a marginalised group any more or less than Democrats.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast