Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: King on Twitter

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Wonder if SK will be flagged for disinformation.
    No one is required to register their political views.
    2(b) The State Board of Education shall require each Florida College System institution to conduct an annual assessment of the intellectual freedom and viewpoint diversity
    at that institution. The State Board of Education shall select or create an objective, nonpartisan, and statistically valid survey to be used by each institution which considers the extent to which competing ideas and perspectives are presented and members of the college community, including students, faculty, and staff, feel free to express their beliefs and viewpoints on campus and in the classroom...

I cannot believe how we are watching fascism take over the country and do nothing about it.
    Again, no one is required to participate in the survey. Diversity administrators should welcome this as an opportunity to hear directly from students, faculty and staff if they feel comfortable expressing their viewpoints and beliefs on campus.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And the losing of funding if they don't make DeSantis happy?

He's also planning on using the results for his own political ads so he clearly has an agenda here.

https://www.businessinsider.com/desa...ign-ads-2022-6
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Baby steps.
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    And the losing of funding if they don't make DeSantis happy?

He's also planning on using the results for his own political ads so he clearly has an agenda here.

https://www.businessinsider.com/desa...ign-ads-2022-6
    What if his supposed agenda is to make sure that all views and perspectives are welcomed, respected and supported? Wouldn't that be a good thing?

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If he believed that he wouldn’t be trying to prevent teachers from talking about racism or that gay people exist.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

"I have seen a close-to-finished cut of MR. HARRIGAN'S PHONE, written and directed by John Lee Hancock, and it's nothing short of brilliant. Donald Sutherland, Jaeden Martell. Netflix. This fall."
    > https://twitter.com/StephenKing/stat...86042749751296
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

...I really need to read If It Bleeds...
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Country
    Country Flag

How about this for a movie idea? CHILDREN OF THE CORN VS. PREDATOR. You'd just need the right star.
    https://twitter.com/StephenKing/stat...71056935362560

My Collection

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

"I'm trying to cheer myself up this afternoon. What happened to Salman Rushdie preys on my mind."
    > https://twitter.com/StephenKing/stat...71368316272640
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...ng-1235252656/
    Elon Musk has responded to Stephen King’s horrified reaction at his reported plan to charge all verified users for their blue checkmark — and in the process, confirmed the surprising and controversial idea is in the works.

On Monday, King went viral with his reaction to a report that Musk wanted to charge verified users a whopping $20 per month to keep their checkmark status. “$20 a month to keep my blue check?” King tweeted to his 6.9 million followers. “Fuck that, they should pay me. If that gets instituted, I’m gone like Enron.” When a reader told King he could afford the fee, the best-selling author replied, “It ain’t the money, it’s the principle of the thing.”

FiveThirtyEight political guru Nate Silver similarly wrote to his 3.5 million followers: “I’m probably the perfect target for this, use Twitter a ton, can afford $20/mo, not particularly anti-Elon, but my reaction is that I’ve generated a ton of valuable free content for Twitter over the years and they can go fuck themselves.”

Early Tuesday, Musk responded to the uproar, replying directly to King: “We need to pay the bills somehow! Twitter cannot entirely rely on advertisers. How about $8?”

Musk then suggested that additional clarity on the matter is still to come: “I will explain the rationale in longer form before this is implemented. It is the only way to defeat the bots & trolls.”

Still later, Musk seemed to double down on the idea — and his suggested lower pricetag — by framing the fee as populist empowerment: “Twitter’s current lords & peasants system for who has or doesn’t have a blue checkmark is bullshit. Power to the people! Blue for $8/month.”

Critics have pointed out that verified accounts are not simply a free perk for a certain level of user, but rather a utility that makes the wild-west social media platform/hellscape more credible. Blue checks help everyday readers (as well as journalists) determine whether a comment being made by a purported public figure is actually from that person instead of a fan or impersonator. It is, in other words, a way of preventing the spread of fake news. TechCrunch dubbed Musk’s idea a potential “misinformation nightmare.”

“Musk and his buddies view this plan as a way to get people to actually give Twitter money,” TechCrunch noted. “But by monetizing a symbol that currently has value, they will ultimately remove all of that existing value.”

According to The Verge, Musk’s plan is to convert the $4.99 optional premium service Twitter Blue — which allows users to edit their tweets — into a mandatory program for those wanting to retain their verified status. Users would have 90 days to subscribe to the new program or will lose their blue checkmark. Musk reportedly told employees assigned to the program overall they would need to implement the new rules by Nov. 7, or they would be fired. No new program has yet been officially announced, however.

Previously, Musk had tweeted: “The whole verification process is being revamped right now.”

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

A lot of folks come to Twitter for the celebs and personalities with Checks. Musk seems determined to send some of them away. If anything, the celebs should be encouraged to stay along with their large followings.
    And oh boy, did those exchanges generate some interesting responses from some folks telling SK that nobody would know who he was if not for Twitter.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Musk's/King's tweets notwithstanding, it seems like user verification has mutual benefit - to authenticate a particular user's identity, and to establish Twitter as a trusted platform.

I don't know what's involved in authenticating a given user, but a low one-time cost to do so wouldn't be unreasonable. Having an ongoing monthly cost - if no ongoing authentication is being done - just seems like a grift, though.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Blue checks engender no trust at all. Either a person is trustworthy or they are not. If the person is full of it the blue check won't change that.

As far as verifying that it's a real person behind the account, every person on Twitter is a real person. Separating the nobility from the mobility might make the elites feel special but it doesn't improve the site.

Is it about verification of ID? Or simply a class division? Are they actually verifying anything? I can show them my driver's license and prove my identity. Do I get a blue check?
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Blue checks engender no trust at all. Either a person is trustworthy or they are not. If the person is full of it the blue check won't change that.
    The only reason for a blue check is to show that the person is who they say are. It has nothing to do with whether they are trustworthy or not.

They implemented them because baseball manager Tony La Russa sued Twitter over an impersonator account.

My Collection

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

King didn't want to join twitter. Scribner basically pushed him into it. Here is his first 2 tweets...

12:02 pm - 6 Dec 2013
    My first tweet. No longer a virgin. Be gentle!

1:14 pm - 6 Dec 2013
    On Twitter at last, and can't think of a thing to say. Some writer I turned out to be.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Someone pointed out that Musk is trying to do things backwards. Most social media platforms pay the content creators. Not the other way around.

Just look at the people that have become millionaires by just putting videos up on Youtube or Tik Tok.

And in turn they make those companies millions of dollars by bringing millions of people to the platform than they can now show ads to.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    King didn't want to join twitter. Scribner basically pushed him into it. Here is his first 2 tweets...

On Twitter at last, and can't think of a thing to say. Some writer I turned out to be.
    He would have done himself a huge favor by staying off it. The efforts of an old, rich white guy to stay "hep" with the new woke crowd are downright embarrassing. And much of time he misses the mark even with the woke crowd. This week he had made derogatory references to the appearance of a female due to her political views. It is sad that someone like King turned into a shill for the government including censorship of fellow writers. Forever tainting his legacy.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post

He would have done himself a huge favor by staying off it. The efforts of an old, rich white guy to stay "hep" with the new woke crowd are downright embarrassing. And much of time he misses the mark even with the woke crowd. This week he had made derogatory references to the appearance of a female due to her political views. It is sad that someone like King turned into a shill for the government including censorship of fellow writers. Forever tainting his legacy.
    "insert eye roll here"
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

He’s only tainted his “legacy” in your eyes because he doesn’t share your political views. That’s what it comes down to. Like if you actually cared that King said someone looked like a Barbie doll because of all the makeup then I assume you condemned Trump for all the times he said worse about women, calling them “fat pigs” and etcetera? Probably not.

Otherwise his legacy is doing fine. He’s one of the world’s most celebrated authors and at 75 he’s still in the bestsellers list and Hollywood is sifting through his backlog to adapt his work.

My Collection

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

He’s only tainted his “legacy” in your eyes because he doesn’t share your political views. That’s what it comes down to. Like if you actually cared that King said someone looked like a Barbie doll because of all the makeup then I assume you condemned Trump for all the times he said worse about women, calling them “fat pigs” and etcetera? Probably not.

Otherwise his legacy is doing fine. He’s one of the world’s most celebrated authors and at 75 he’s still in the bestsellers list and Hollywood is sifting through his backlog to adapt his work.
    NAILED IT.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

The only reason for a blue check is to show that the person is who they say are. It has nothing to do with whether they are trustworthy or not.

They implemented them because baseball manager Tony La Russa sued Twitter over an impersonator account.
    Then why don't a bunch of regular people have blue checks.

I admit ignorance as to Twitter. I've never had an account. I just read occasionally.

It seems like a person has to be a public personality of some sort to gain a blue check.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Country
    Country Flag

I admit ignorance as to Twitter. I've never had an account. I just read occasionally.

It seems like a person has to be a public personality of some sort to gain a blue check.
    Yes, up until now it had to be a public person. Or organisations / companies of some sort.
    The reason behind it was explained above : it was a way to authenticate the person behind the profile to avoid people getting scammed by fake accounts and impersonator.

It (was) different from the "Twitter Blue" system where people could pay like 5 dollars a month for extra features

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

[QUOTE=Br!an;1266019]

There was a very brief period when all you had to do was prove your identity -- that's how I got a blue check. I'll happily surrender it if they want me to pay for it. My friend Brian Keene, who is a pretty well known author, has never managed to get one and he is constantly trying to fend off accounts pretending to be him.

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I know you can't get past that narrative, but I'm all for King having the right to make his political opinions known. Unlike him, however, I do not support censorship because others might disagree with me. I do not suggest it is dangerous for there to be opposing views to my own. King has used Twitter to advocate for censorship. He has used Twitter to insult others because of their political views. As you note, just this week he insulted the appearance of a female because she works on Fox News. I disagree with that and support free speech for everyone. Not just those that I agree with. I would not advocate censorship of any Democrat. Rather vote them out of office as will happen next week. That is how democracy works. A free exchange of ideas followed by an election in which the voters get to decide.

It does sadden and disappoint me that someone like King who, as a horror writer, was for many decades on the critical end of political correctness suddenly becoming a shill for censorship of others. He more than anyone should have stood up to the bullying instead of taking the cowards way out. King, as a writer, certainly has benefited from having the freedom to write books that many objected too. You only have to look to history to understand that artists are more dangerous propagandists than government bureaucrats. Orwell got that part wrong. The Germans recruited talented artists like Leni Riefenstahl to promote their cause. We have Hollywood-types and folks like King collaborating for censorship. History holds those types in contempt.

Country
    Country Flag

I know you can't get past that narrative, but I'm all for King having the right to make his political opinions known.
    You once called him a coward and a rat fink because he signed a petition to support trans people.

My Collection

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast