+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 271

Thread: King on Twitter

  1. #201
    The Hound CyberGhostface is just really nice CyberGhostface is just really nice CyberGhostface is just really nice CyberGhostface is just really nice CyberGhostface is just really nice CyberGhostface's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,688
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    There was a dead ash tree in our front yard. My wife, Tabitha, had an idea to turn it into a sculpture featuring books and animals. The sculptor was Josh Landry. He did it with a chainsaw.


    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

    My Collection

  2. #202
    Weedeater Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hagerstown, IN
    Posts
    3,565
    My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    That is a beautiful sculpture!
    Wish List:
    Duma Key inscribed or flatsigned
    On Writing inscribed or flatsigned
    Rage 1st/1st
    Goblin-Josh Malerman

  3. #203
    Weedeater St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Near Boston
    Posts
    3,745
    My Mood
    Grumpy
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    That is incredible work.
    DD

  4. #204
    Weedeater St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Near Boston
    Posts
    3,745
    My Mood
    Grumpy
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Since dictionaries exist none of you should need me, Kingfan24, or RichardX to explain this, but: border walls and property fences are both physical barriers intended to slow, stop or deter unauthorized individuals (be they non-citizens in one case or trespassers in the other) from entering a particular piece of property, in order to protect and defend the interest and general well-being of authorized individuals on that particular piece of property (be they citizens in one case or residents in the other).

    Safety and permission are the operative concepts; the choices of King and people like him basically amount to "safety for me, but not for thee."
    DD

  5. #205
    The Hound CyberGhostface is just really nice CyberGhostface is just really nice CyberGhostface is just really nice CyberGhostface is just really nice CyberGhostface is just really nice CyberGhostface's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,688
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    And that’s still a ridiculous comparison because King’s issues with the border wall was that it was an inefficient vanity project that Trump lied about getting Mexico to pay for.


    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

    My Collection

  6. #206
    Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,739
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    some say King has lost a step this late in his career, with his ability to entertain us. I disagree. the man entertains me on multiple fronts nowadays. I still love his books (even if they dont capture my imagination as forcefully as they did when I was a teenager). I love the adventures of his dog Molly, Thing of Evil as recounted on social media, and I ESPECIALLY love those conservative "fans" who rail, kvetch, bitch, whine, and whinge at Kings politics and his willingness to express these ideas both in his works and in public forums or social media. I just LOVE it . It just really floats my boat! Butthurt, Bent out of shape righties who just cant handle the fact that the artist that they acolyte for has some basic sense and social consciousness! Bravo, Sai King and thanks for all the entertainment.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

    A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

    Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

  7. #207
    President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a brilliant future Roseannebarr has a brilliant future Roseannebarr has a brilliant future Roseannebarr has a brilliant future Roseannebarr has a brilliant future Roseannebarr has a brilliant future Roseannebarr has a brilliant future Roseannebarr has a brilliant future Roseannebarr has a brilliant future Roseannebarr has a brilliant future Roseannebarr has a brilliant future

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,786
    My Mood
    Asleep

    Default

    I do not have the smarts, words or abilities to properly state how I feel. I have a 6 year old great niece who was born and named Luke, we now call her Grace and she is my niece since she was 3. I love her unconditionally and fear for her growing up with hatred, misunderstanding and judgement. I love Harry Potter but struggle with what JK Rowling is saying and doing. Much like Kings politics drives many crazy here, I am trying to reconcile my enjoyment of her books and her views. How can I support her work but disagree with her statements. Maybe I don’t understand what she is even trying to say.

    All I know is a 3 year old that knows she is a girl and her parents struggle with doing what they believe is best for their child can’t be wrong!

    Do I stop supporting all things Potter or enjoy the work but not the author?

    I see many here collect Kings work but despise is politics, I don’t know how to separate JKs politics from her work. Do I take a “stand” or ignore the politics and still go to Harry Potter World every year and act like I don’t hear her.

    I posted here, because many strongly disagree with Kings politics but still collect and read his work, I always wondered how you can separate the two?

  8. #208
    Rabid Billybumbler Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    2,548

    Default

    Not to argue with anything else you said, but if Robert Galbraith is really the name of who you say, I think that’s a coincidence. She took the name Galbraith from that of a popular real estate agency firm in Scotland, where she lived for many years. You don’t need to travel far around Scotland to start seeing their signs everywhere. She just liked the name. I don’t know her reason for choosing “Robert”, but I seriously doubt it was because of her admiration for the doctor you mentioned.

    I suspect she is not the fervent anti-trans advocate that the press is making her out to be. I think, like many of her generation - and mine - she is struggling to understand how gender can be independent of sex, and being very skeptical of claims that the concepts of male and female as categories are meaningless.

    I don’t agree with what she appears to be saying, but I don’t think she is the hate filled harridan that some have decided she is.

    And personally, I would continue to read and her enjoy her works regardless. That would change if she were funneling her significant fortunes into hate groups, but as far as I can see, she’s Doing nothing more than stating her point of you, based on her experience.

    I’m disappointed that she holds the views she does, particularly since people seem to take a lot of notice of what she says. I don’t like that at all. But I can separate that from my enjoyment of her work.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

    Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven
    Wolf's Hour
    Mister Slaughter
    Ilium

  9. #209
    Rabid Billybumbler Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    2,548

    Default

    Incidentally, I think the connection between goblins and Jews is absurd. The goblins are not “obsessed with money“-they simply run the banks in her fictional world, and do so very well, according to the story. The physical attributes of the goblins are stereotypical of goblins, not necessarily of Jews. Goblins have existed in Anglican myth for decades with those kinds of physical features.

    It’s one thing to disagree with the statements she herself makes when the intent is clear. But to then go poring over her work, identifying tenuous connections to different types of racism or prejudice is just inventing things to get offended about, in my opinion.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

    Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven
    Wolf's Hour
    Mister Slaughter
    Ilium

  10. #210
    Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae people like to rub elbows with me mae people like to rub elbows with me mae people like to rub elbows with me mae people like to rub elbows with me mae people like to rub elbows with me mae people like to rub elbows with me mae people like to rub elbows with me mae people like to rub elbows with me mae people like to rub elbows with me mae people like to rub elbows with me mae people like to rub elbows with me mae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    27,850
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    I suspect she is not the fervent anti-trans advocate that the press is making her out to be. I think, like many of her generation - and mine - she is struggling to understand how gender can be independent of sex, and being very skeptical of claims that the concepts of male and female as categories are meaningless.
    That is what she's saying, but that's not what trans people and people advocating for trans rights say. No one is making those claims, it's a complete misrepresentation. It's not how science works. No one is saying sex ceases to exist when someone transitions. Doctors are aware that if you're a trans man, you were assigned female at birth and thus will take actions accordingly. Being trans doesn't eliminate the concepts of man or woman, it expands them.

  11. #211
    Rabid Billybumbler Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    2,548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    I suspect she is not the fervent anti-trans advocate that the press is making her out to be. I think, like many of her generation - and mine - she is struggling to understand how gender can be independent of sex, and being very skeptical of claims that the concepts of male and female as categories are meaningless.
    That is what she's saying, but that's not what trans people and people advocating for trans rights say. No one is making those claims, it's a complete misrepresentation. It's not how science works. No one is saying sex ceases to exist when someone transitions. Doctors are aware that if you're a trans man, you were assigned female at birth and thus will take actions accordingly. Being trans doesn't eliminate the concepts of man or woman, it expands them.
    I completely understand and agree. I’m not defending her statements in any way. I don’t agree with them. But I do think she’s coming from a different place than, say, Ben Shapiro. Yet people are tarring her with the same brush, and looking for other “evidence” in her work that she actively hates and fears anyone who isn’t straight, white, or English.

    I don’t agree with her position at all, but I think the backlash has been overblown. I can understand anyone who no longer wants to support her work based on her statements, but I’ll continue to enjoy her work. I’m not endorsing her views by doing so.

    (I think, too, that a lot of people mistake the obvious frustration she feels with people reading things into her work that she never intended as anger or hate. Whether it’s the religious right saying she worships satan, or the left saying she’s homo- or transphobic, she’s clearly run out of patience with it. That frustration prevents her from actively listening to people who start a conversation by calling her work problematic)
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

    Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven
    Wolf's Hour
    Mister Slaughter
    Ilium

  12. #212
    Demon of the Prim Lurker is a splendid one to behold Lurker is a splendid one to behold Lurker is a splendid one to behold Lurker is a splendid one to behold Lurker is a splendid one to behold Lurker is a splendid one to behold Lurker is a splendid one to behold Lurker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,047
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Q & A with Rowling at the Robert Galbraith website:

    "Why the name Robert Galbraith? Do you have anything to say to all those Robert Galbraiths out there?


    I chose Robert because it’s one of my favourite men’s names, because Robert F Kennedy is my hero and because, mercifully, I hadn’t used it for any of the characters in the Potter series or The Casual Vacancy.

    Galbraith came about for a slightly odd reason. When I was a child, I really wanted to be called ‘Ella Galbraith’, and I’ve no idea why. I don’t even know how I knew that the surname existed, because I can’t remember ever meeting anyone with it. Be that as it may, the name had a fascination for me. I actually considered calling myself L A Galbraith for the Strike series, but for fairly obvious reasons decided that initials were a bad idea."
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

  13. #213
    The Hound CyberGhostface is just really nice CyberGhostface is just really nice CyberGhostface is just really nice CyberGhostface is just really nice CyberGhostface is just really nice CyberGhostface's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,688
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I was a bit worried when I saw King’s retweet. I’m glad he clarified his views.


    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

    My Collection

  14. #214
    Rabid Billybumbler Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    2,548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Even if Galbraith is a coincidence, it does not excuse her transphobia.

    I only pointed out that some have picked up on an antisemitic feel with the goblins. Which is true, some have.
    True, but you brought up these points in the context of a post about “reasons not to read her work“. If her pseudonym is *coincidentally* the same as some awful quack of a doctor, and the anti-Semitism is something that others have inferred from her work rather than something she intended, then neither of these are relevant to whether you should read her or not. Only her trans phobic comments are.

    Saying you were, “Just saying“, given the context of your post, is somewhat disingenuous, I think.

    Again, I’m not defending what she said in the slightest. But I think these points very good examples of the kind of thing people who have been offended by her comments "discover" when looking more broadly at her work and her professional life. They draw conclusions that are simply absurd, just to find more reasons to hate her.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

    Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven
    Wolf's Hour
    Mister Slaughter
    Ilium

  15. #215
    Rabid Billybumbler Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack has a brilliant future Hunchback Jack's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    2,548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Since I've been called out as being disingenuous, who knows I probably am, I've told HBJ to put me on ignore by way of positive rep and I won't post on this thread again. Sorry for the inconvenience folks. Have a good night!!
    I apologize, Tommy. I could have made my point without being so rude, or without making it about you, specifically. I would much rather engage in thoughtful discourse with you than ignore you, or have you leave. Please reconsider.

    HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

    Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven
    Wolf's Hour
    Mister Slaughter
    Ilium

  16. #216
    Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae people like to rub elbows with me mae people like to rub elbows with me mae people like to rub elbows with me mae people like to rub elbows with me mae people like to rub elbows with me mae people like to rub elbows with me mae people like to rub elbows with me mae people like to rub elbows with me mae people like to rub elbows with me mae people like to rub elbows with me mae people like to rub elbows with me mae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    27,850
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    I suspect she is not the fervent anti-trans advocate that the press is making her out to be. I think, like many of her generation - and mine - she is struggling to understand how gender can be independent of sex, and being very skeptical of claims that the concepts of male and female as categories are meaningless.
    That is what she's saying, but that's not what trans people and people advocating for trans rights say. No one is making those claims, it's a complete misrepresentation. It's not how science works. No one is saying sex ceases to exist when someone transitions. Doctors are aware that if you're a trans man, you were assigned female at birth and thus will take actions accordingly. Being trans doesn't eliminate the concepts of man or woman, it expands them.
    I completely understand and agree. I’m not defending her statements in any way. I don’t agree with them. But I do think she’s coming from a different place than, say, Ben Shapiro. Yet people are tarring her with the same brush, and looking for other “evidence” in her work that she actively hates and fears anyone who isn’t straight, white, or English.

    I don’t agree with her position at all, but I think the backlash has been overblown. I can understand anyone who no longer wants to support her work based on her statements, but I’ll continue to enjoy her work. I’m not endorsing her views by doing so.

    (I think, too, that a lot of people mistake the obvious frustration she feels with people reading things into her work that she never intended as anger or hate. Whether it’s the religious right saying she worships satan, or the left saying she’s homo- or transphobic, she’s clearly run out of patience with it. That frustration prevents her from actively listening to people who start a conversation by calling her work problematic)
    There have been a number of good video essays going over JK's essay and discussing all of the dangerous fallacies and misconceptions. Here's a very good and educational one, aimed especially at those unfamiliar with gender issues:


  17. #217
    Weedeater St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Near Boston
    Posts
    3,745
    My Mood
    Grumpy
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    The evil hatred of J.K. Rowling, eh?

    DD

  18. #218
    The Hound CyberGhostface is just really nice CyberGhostface is just really nice CyberGhostface is just really nice CyberGhostface is just really nice CyberGhostface is just really nice CyberGhostface's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,688
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Do you agree with her views?


    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

    My Collection

  19. #219
    Citizen of Gilead RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    559
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    The revolution eats its own. Some people have to find out the hard way. They pontificate in the erroneous belief that everyone agrees as they do and demand that others apologize or be driven from society, then they step in it themselves and are chased by the mob. It would be humorous if it wasn't so sad.

  20. #220
    Demon of the Prim kingfan2323 is a name known to all kingfan2323 is a name known to all kingfan2323 is a name known to all kingfan2323 is a name known to all kingfan2323 is a name known to all kingfan2323 is a name known to all kingfan2323's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1,378
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    The revolution eats its own. Some people have to find out the hard way. They pontificate in the erroneous belief that everyone agrees as they do and demand that others apologize or be driven from society, then they step in it themselves and are chased by the mob. It would be humorous if it wasn't so sad.
    BURN 'EM
    KNOCK 'EM DOWN!



    seeking: anything DT related #246
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

  21. #221
    The Hound CyberGhostface is just really nice CyberGhostface is just really nice CyberGhostface is just really nice CyberGhostface is just really nice CyberGhostface is just really nice CyberGhostface's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,688
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    The revolution eats its own. Some people have to find out the hard way. They pontificate in the erroneous belief that everyone agrees as they do and demand that others apologize or be driven from society, then they step in it themselves and are chased by the mob. It would be humorous if it wasn't so sad.
    I take it you agree with her comments as well? Why not just say you do? Otherwise I don’t know why you would be outraged that someone is getting criticized for transphobia.

    She’s still a hugely successful author. No one is burning her books. They’re not closing down her theme park, cancelling her movies or upcoming video games based on her work.

    But yes because she’s bigoted towards a marginalized group of people others are going to condemn her. That’s how it works. Stop acting like she’s a victim.


    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

    My Collection

  22. #222
    Maerlyn's Imp Joe315 is a splendid one to behold Joe315 is a splendid one to behold Joe315 is a splendid one to behold Joe315 is a splendid one to behold Joe315 is a splendid one to behold Joe315 is a splendid one to behold Joe315 is a splendid one to behold

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,293
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Breaking my self-imposed exile for a few things here. HBJ and I talked it out so I don't think he'll mind.

    Firstly, her books were already being burned, first by Christians that thought she was Satanic and then some fans burned them because they found out she didn't support Donald Trump.

    Now imagine if you will what she is saying is that black folks should not be allowed into white bathrooms or white locker rooms. That would have went over just fine during a certain period in time but not so much today (although I do know folks that wouldn't object to it). Now you could support her opinion even though it was actively hurting people or you could realize that in fact bigotry isn't a good thing.

    Apply this to trans folks. The hackneyed argument she's used is that a trans woman will attack cis women in bathrooms because well anyone with a penis HAS to attack women, right? Or that a cis man will put on a wig and say he is trans to go into a bathroom to attack women. I don't think that a if a man planned to attack a woman, a sign would stop him. And let's say he did put on a wig and attack a woman in the bathroom, do you think him saying he is trans would automatically excuse his behavior and his crime? Trans women have no interest in attacking cis women. So she should probably stop spreading this narrative at the very least.

    Now don't forget either, she was the one that praised SK and then he said "Yes, trans women are women" and deleted her tweet, unfollowed and blocked him. It appears as if SHE is the one demanding people believe as she does or they will be banished at least as far as SK goes.

    People are in fact getting their HP tattoos removed.
    Rapists (or any criminal) do not follow laws. Her argument is faulty.

    But just because she is making this argument doesn’t mean she is transphobic. She is just ignorant. She has an irrational fear of men because of her past and believes one will hide behind transgenderism to rape someone. Its not about transgender people, it’s about men. It’s dumb.

    However, I do wish that people wouldn’t try to take apart everything she’s written to find other possible prejudices.

    EDIT: “ Trans women have no interest in attacking cis women.” Some might but them being transgender is unlikely to have anything to do with it.

  23. #223
    The Hound CyberGhostface is just really nice CyberGhostface is just really nice CyberGhostface is just really nice CyberGhostface is just really nice CyberGhostface is just really nice CyberGhostface's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,688
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Now imagine if you will what she is saying is that black folks should not be allowed into white bathrooms or white locker rooms. That would have went over just fine during a certain period in time but not so much today (although I do know folks that wouldn't object to it). Now you could support her opinion even though it was actively hurting people or you could realize that in fact bigotry isn't a good thing.
    Exactly. I doubt people would be moaning about mobs and burning books if Rowling was bigoted against an racial minority instead of trans people. (Well maybe some would.)


    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

    My Collection

  24. #224
    Maerlyn's Imp Joe315 is a splendid one to behold Joe315 is a splendid one to behold Joe315 is a splendid one to behold Joe315 is a splendid one to behold Joe315 is a splendid one to behold Joe315 is a splendid one to behold Joe315 is a splendid one to behold

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,293
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Breaking my self-imposed exile for a few things here. HBJ and I talked it out so I don't think he'll mind.

    Firstly, her books were already being burned, first by Christians that thought she was Satanic and then some fans burned them because they found out she didn't support Donald Trump.

    Now imagine if you will what she is saying is that black folks should not be allowed into white bathrooms or white locker rooms. That would have went over just fine during a certain period in time but not so much today (although I do know folks that wouldn't object to it). Now you could support her opinion even though it was actively hurting people or you could realize that in fact bigotry isn't a good thing.

    Apply this to trans folks. The hackneyed argument she's used is that a trans woman will attack cis women in bathrooms because well anyone with a penis HAS to attack women, right? Or that a cis man will put on a wig and say he is trans to go into a bathroom to attack women. I don't think that a if a man planned to attack a woman, a sign would stop him. And let's say he did put on a wig and attack a woman in the bathroom, do you think him saying he is trans would automatically excuse his behavior and his crime? Trans women have no interest in attacking cis women. So she should probably stop spreading this narrative at the very least.

    Now don't forget either, she was the one that praised SK and then he said "Yes, trans women are women" and deleted her tweet, unfollowed and blocked him. It appears as if SHE is the one demanding people believe as she does or they will be banished at least as far as SK goes.

    People are in fact getting their HP tattoos removed.
    Rapists (or any criminal) do not follow laws. Her argument is faulty.

    But just because she is making this argument doesn’t mean she is transphobic. She is just ignorant. She has an irrational fear of men because of her past and believes one will hide behind transgenderism to rape someone. Its not about transgender people, it’s about men. It’s dumb.

    However, I do wish that people wouldn’t try to take apart everything she’s written to find other possible prejudices.

    EDIT: “ Trans women have no interest in attacking cis women.” Some might but them being transgender is unlikely to have anything to do with it.
    If it's about men, she should stop making it about trans women. That is literally what she blocked King over, because he said trans women are women.
    That’s my point about her ignorance. She doesn’t fully understand sex vs gender. If they identify as a woman and live as one they are likely experiencing the same biases against women she is, on top of the biases of being transgender. If a transwoman were to rape someone them being trans is irrelevant.

    Her menstruation quote is another example of that ignorance. It’s not being a woman that makes you menstruate. You need the requisite equipment and transmen do have said equipment (pending reassignment therapies and surgery). And some women that do have the equipment can’t menstruate for any number of reasons. Gender is not the same as biological sex and she doesn’t seem to get that.

  25. #225
    Along the Path of the Beam Curly is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    47

    Default

    I thought this thread was about Stephen King. Can the mods move these posts somewhere more appropriate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts