Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: In Mint Condition 2013: Impressions and Criticism

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Firstly, as of right now this second, I'm not publishing anymore books. I loved every single aspect of the process, from the Call for Submissions to seeking out and hand-picking artists, to editing, to designing, to typesetting, to picking out the bindings and sizes and endsheets and colors and paper weights, everything. I loved all of it. But the money just isn't there. Not only did we lose money on IMC2013, but we lost a lot of money. I expected the reviewers to get us word of mouth and sell books. For printing, packaging, and shipping off paperbacks to the reviewers, it cost us about fifteen hundred dollars. You know how many sales we got from reviewers? ZERO. And when I say ZERO, I mean zero. Absolutely zero. I had planned on the second printings of paperbacks selling out, but there was so little interest that we didn't even go to print. If a second printing of paperbacks had sold out, then we would have broke even.

With IMC2014, I was going to cut out the reviewers all together. Save some money. We only donated $500 (I think) to last year's Haven Foundation Fundraising instead of $1,000 to save even more money. We got Darrell Schweitzer and Tim Lebbon and I was going to push push push their names as best I can. And then, of course, things happened and couldn't produce the book this year, which in turn made a third of the artists and authors and a huge chunk of the customers want to leave.

Unless you're selling hundreds of books a month and/or you price your books/limited editions/signed editions at a MUCH MUCH MUCH higher percentage than what you're producing them for, it is my experience that publishing is a losing battle. A fun, losing battle, but a losing battle all the same.

Anyway, onto the question at hand. I can't sell/release them because it's not fair to the people that purchased the hardcovers that had a limitation of 100 numbered copies and so many PE/PC/CC copies. And since I'm not planning on publishing anymore, I can't use them for the Lettered edition setup ... But at the same time, I don't really want the boxes sitting in the corner. And I don't want to burn them or throw them out. Uggghhh!!!

Hey divey, I haven't used the ambannonbooks email in a while (I posted a note on the main page with my current Yahoo address), is that where you emailed me? I think I still have five or ten or so paperbacks available and a few PC hardcovers. You can email me at sgaisserindiego@yahoo.com

Thanks!
    Publicity is a problem; though luckily for me with my book, it was a hobby and i never expect to get the money back

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stkmw02 View Post
    I have PMed you...

and the only part I'll reiterate here publicly is that IMC is something too good to let go. I don't believe I'm the only person who feels that way.
    how do you mean, the only person? I have been saying nothing else since the very start

: extremely sad bear :

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I have PMed you...

and the only part I'll reiterate here publicly is that IMC is something too good to let go. I don't believe I'm the only person who feels that way.
    how do you mean, the only person? I have been saying nothing else since the very start

: extremely sad bear :
    She means he is not the only person. Her syntax is strange.
    Last edited by Br!an; 09-17-2014 at 06:10 AM. Reason: commented about wrong person
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Demon of the Prim stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Inspired

Oh, Jean... I said I DON'T believe I'm the only person - because I KNOW others (like bears) DO feel the same way!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I am sorry to hear of this...sorry for Shannon as well...and perhaps mostly for Shannon.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Just got done inscribing a book for a new girl that came over:

"Victoria,

Hope you enjoy the book as much as you enjoyed me.

//signed"

lol

Demon of the Prim stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Inspired

If she writes a review, you can write the cost of the book (and the prostitute) off as a business expense.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

If she writes a review, you can write the cost of the book (and the prostitute) off as a business expense.
    What does she need to review in order to write off the expense? The book or Shannon?
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    What does she need to review in order to write off the expense? The book or Shannon?
    I'm guessing a review of, Shannon would be very short indeed!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Best seven seconds of her life.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Best seven seconds of her life.
    Ah, a man who takes time for foreplay - thats nice.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

So is writing the "world's oldest profession"?
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6