My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stone, rose, unfound door View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    DotT is last? I'm crushed.
    Yes. And the wolves the last but one, and both after W&G. What is the world coming to?
    It's all right, Little Gem, I love you anyway...
    I'm afraid we can't agree everytime and I think I said a few times what I thought about TDOTT: I find it lacks the atmosphere that's taken me in the story so much.
    While I agree we cannot always be on the same page, DotT was the one that sucked me into the series. I think you get a good feeling for Roland's personality in this one, and that's why I fell in love with it.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes. And the wolves the last but one, and both after W&G. What is the world coming to?
    I love that little bear smiley. And I love the bear, too.
    bears love daghains!

I'm afraid we can't agree everytime and I think I said a few times what I thought about TDOTT: I find it lacks the atmosphere that's taken me in the story so much.
    Come to think of it, it looks like you put your finger on something important here. TDoTT, indeed, differs greatly from all other DT books, I don't know yet how to put it into words, but that's what made it my favorite before I read Wolves.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrQuint View Post

Just because I don't worship mythical creatures doesn't make me a cold hearted douchebag Lady!
    Obviously!

I just never got into the whole Mejis story much.
    I was anxious to see the ka-tet move further down the road to the Tower, and was rather miffed that the whole book was a flashback and they only got to the other side of the Oz palace before the end of the book.

Gunslinger Apprentice MrQuint is on a distinguished road MrQuint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ladysai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrQuint View Post

Just because I don't worship mythical creatures doesn't make me a cold hearted douchebag Lady!
    Obviously!

I just never got into the whole Mejis story much.
    I was anxious to see the ka-tet move further down the road to the Tower, and was rather miffed that the whole book was a flashback and they only got to the other side of the Oz palace before the end of the book.

After my first read on W&G I remember starting to feel the same when I realized the flashback was going to be the whole story and the Ka-Tet wasn't going to make much progress toward their ultimate goal of the Tower ... but once I got over that disappointment I was gripped by the awesomeness that was W&G. Especially during the re-reads while I agonized waiting for Book 5.
    Sorry to hear Mejis didn't do it for you. One of the reasons why I have Wolves ranked so high is that Calla Bryn Sturgis was able to recapture some of that Mejis feel.

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I love that little bear smiley. And I love the bear, too.
    bears love daghains!

Come to think of it, it looks like you put your finger on something important here. TDoTT, indeed, differs greatly from all other DT books, I don't know yet how to put it into words, but that's what made it my favorite before I read Wolves.
    I understand very well how it can be other people's favourite, and what Daghain said about Roland's personality is quite true, but I liked what I saw of him in the Gunslinger more and I became a fan reading the first line. The Gunslinger has still a special place for me since I was totally hooked by it. I loved the atmosphere in that one and that explains why I found TDOTT boring compared to it: it could be any book in any series since it doesn't have that particular atmosphere that I liked so much.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I was the opposite. I liked The Gunslinger, but it was DotT that really hooked me on the series.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I hated The Gunslinger, and wouldn't have gone on if The Drawing wasn't so very different indeed

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, you hated it?

Country
    Country Flag

yes

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow. What made you read DotT then?

Country
    Country Flag

I posted that story somewhere... I was in hospital, with nothing to read, and Alexander (the one who lives in London now) brought to me the two books at once. If I had had any choice, my whole life would have been different.

Or maybe not. I loved King so much already by then, I would have given him the benefit of doubt for the second volume... sooner or later.

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Good question Daghain !

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I think I do remember you telling that story, Jean. Lucky for all of us you had to read it!

Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger Apprentice Cuthbert Heath is on a distinguished road Cuthbert Heath's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i didnt care for the gunslinger that much either but it was obviously good enough for me to read the drawing and that hooked me which turned out to be my favorite..

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I posted that story somewhere... I was in hospital, with nothing to read, and Alexander (the one who lives in London now) brought to me the two books at once. If I had had any choice, my whole life would have been different.

Or maybe not. I loved King so much already by then, I would have given him the benefit of doubt for the second volume... sooner or later.
    And did you talk a lot about DT with Alexander? Is he a DT junkie as well?

Roland would have understood.

Country
    Country Flag

No. He used to read a lot of King, but soon after I got out that hospital, our life started rapidly changing, and he went to England to live, and ever since he has been working so much he's never had time for a 7-volume book.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So he has read them all but the last one? Don't you push him some time? Did he love it as long as he was reading it?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    So he has read them all but the last one? Don't you push him some time? Did he love it as long as he was reading it?
    No, he read only the first two, then in 1997 he went to London, and with time brought me volumes 3 and 4, as he found them in charity shops. That's why I had to wait so endlessly long between books 3 and 4, and definitely one of the reasons why I was so disappointed by W&G. The three last volumes never emerged in charity shops till very recently, and by then I'd already read them in electronic version, and then my dear friends from here send them to me in the normal, book format.

So, Alexander was even more bored (in fact, absolutely disgusted) by The Gunslinger than I was, and he, too, loved The Drawing (agreed to read it only after I told him it was nothing even similar to The Gunslinger whatsoever), but hasn't gotten around to reading the rest yet.

Country
    Country Flag

So he gave it to you without being a DT junkie. Nice.

Traveler Tyranus is on a distinguished road

The Dark Tower
    Wizard & Glass
    The Wastelands
    THe Gunslinger
    The Drawing of the Three
    Wolves of the Calla
    Song of Susannah

Gunslinger Apprentice Ste Letto is on a distinguished road Ste Letto's Avatar

Wolves of the Calla
    The Gunslinger
    The Wastelands
    The Dark Tower
    Song of Susannah
    The Drawing of the Three
    Wizard and Glass

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Not entirely sure about the order, but....

I enjoyed The Gunslinger.

I thought The Drawing of the Three was better than The Gunslinger.

I thought The Waste Lands was better than the first two.

I didn't quite like Wizard and Glass as much as I was hoping to, but recognized it as quality.

Wolves of the Calla was a bit difficult in ploughing through, as was Wizard and Glass. I still liked it, but I don't know about quality....

Song of Susannah was my favorite volume when I finished it.

The Dark Tower replaced Song of Susannah as my favorite when I finished that.

Along the Path of the Beam BoogerSnax is on a distinguished road

1. Wastelands
    2. Drawing
    3. Gunslinger
    4. Wolves
    5. Dark Tower
    6. Wizard
    7. Song

Gunslinger Apprentice Ste Letto is on a distinguished road Ste Letto's Avatar

It surprises me that many people seem to dislike The Gunslinger and really like Drawing of the Three.

Maybe this is the wrong place for this post, but here are the reasons I love The Gunslinger and dislike Drawing of the Three. I say dislike because it has grown on me slightly. When I first read it I hated it. It was only the glammer of The Gunslinger that kept me reading the series.

The Wastelands was a return to form after DotT and kept me hooked.

Some of what I like about The Gunslinger:-

Unlike anything by SK I had ever read.
    Mysterious, especially with links to our world such as singing Hey Jude. Plus who or what is the gunslinger or the Man in black. So much enigma.
    The gunslinger is alone. His isolation is hugely powerful and evocative.
    A quest, you gotta love quests.
    An antihero, Roland is not a hero, he is a central focal character, a force of nature.
    The necessity of his isolation is shown when he drops Jake.

Some of what I dislike about TDofT:-

The writing does not flow.
    It suddenly connects with our world in a big way, I loved Roland's world being a bit linked, but not so forcefully.
    The action was stilted.
    It brought in partners for a man who is defined by his isolation.
    It shifted the parameters and expectations set up by The Gunslinger.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast