Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: That Thing, You Can Only Talk About If You've Finished the Series

Gunslinger Apprentice aurora is on a distinguished road aurora's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No actually I don't even think he 'forgot' to pick up the Horn. I think he left it there intentionally to honor his love for Cuthbert and maybe to a lesser degree the fall of Inner-World (The Baronies.)

I do believe that Roland needs it at the top of the Tower to save himself. To me it represents his ability to reconcile the fact that he can;t control everything. The loss of his friends were in a quest to save the multi-verse in and they sought the same battle their own right and that tragedy must occur and loss of friends is due to their choice and not entirely through Rolands device. I believe Roland traps himself in the loops because he can't escape the sorrow of the loss of his friends while he believes his task is to save the multi-verse which is incomprehensible.

I actually wrote a lot more about my thoughts of this in another thread. But I will agree this is not Rolands first and maybe not 101st trip around the loop. I do believe its up to Roland to escape it and maybe, just maybe he will evolve to that point.

Interestingly his trips through the loop(s) may be to make him evolve to understand what Gan and the Prim really are and only after doing so will be capable of grasping the concept of the infinity of the multi-verse and by thus doing so allows a balance to be forged between the magic of the Prim and the technology of man. Thus being capable of doing what he believes he's doing by overcoming his own personal chaos, loss of loved ones versus saving the incomprehensible multi-verse.

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default How many times has Roland had...?

I am currently rereading The Dark Tower series. We know that at the end of the 7th book, Roland has to repeat his quest. My question is how many times do you think he has repeated his quest for the tower? I would just like some input. Thanks for your interest.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Roland would have understood.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Thats a good answer Letti, but I would have
    said at least once more....

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Delah

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Delah
    This is the only answer I am not able to accept.

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Delah
    Forgive me for being stupid, but what does delah mean?

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

many?

The answer is within

Citizen of Gilead Ka-tet is on a distinguished road Ka-tet's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Im just gonna throw a thought that came to me right now xD

Im gonna say 18, i think on his 19th time round he will complete his quest...
    If you love me, then love me-Susan of mejis
    See the turtle, aint he keen? All things serve the fucking beam-Eddie of NewYork
    You burn prettily-Corwin of Amber

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Delah
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

the theory I adhere to (in my lifetime it was first proposed by Taheen74 at .net, about three years ago) is that the cycle we're reading about is the 19th, and that's why 19 is everywhere; thus, the next will be the 20th (I hope, the last one, too).

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Delah = many. Roland has been through it many times before and King told me he believes Roland will have to go through it many more times again. Unlike the episode of Kingdom Hospital where one time fixes all, he told me that was TV--in real life, people only improve in small increments.

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the input and for explaining delah. I know I should have remebered that. I would say he has done it 19 times as well

Country
    Country Flag

Oh damn I thought delah meant infinite...

My Mood
    In Love

I've only seen a couple of episodes of Kingdom Hospital.
    This has me wanting to see some more tho'. Is this mention
    of a particular episode?

Delah = many. Roland has been through it many times before and King told me he believes Roland will have to go through it many more times again. Unlike the episode of Kingdom Hospital where one time fixes all, he told me that was TV--in real life, people only improve in small increments.

The answer is within

Yes, there was a later episode about a baseball player who lived in shame because he goofed an easy play that lost the world series for the Red Sox (based on the real-life error by Bill Buckner in 1987). He gets a chance at a do-over.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Hear, Hear!

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the input everyone. It has been along time since I read the series and now that I have started rereading it, alot of things are coming back to me.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mia/susannah View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone. It has been along time since I read the series and now that I have started rereading it, alot of things are coming back to me.
    Is this your first re-read?
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

While I really like the idea of the series being Roland's 19th loop, for some reason, I still feel like it is many many more than that. No particular passage or part backs me up, I just feel like he's been at it for a long, long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    While I really like the idea of the series being Roland's 19th loop, for some reason, I still feel like it is many many more than that. No particular passage or part backs me up, I just feel like he's been at it for a long, long time.
    I feel the same. Its just a gut feeling. Delah.

Traveler asamorris is on a distinguished road asamorris's Avatar

i agree. especially when the katet get to the calla, and they talk about how gilead fell 1000 years ago.

but, then again, does walter make roland sleep for 6 hundred years each time they palaver? if so, that "1000" years thing only works once and then a little. twice if you cut it down to the original 500. idk.

in surrender, i say 19. OR, let me fuck things up and say 99. if 99 is not total delah, idk what is.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mia/susannah View Post
    Is this your first re-read?
    Yes, sadly it is. It actually took me finally getting away and getting a divorce from my ex-husband for me to be able to collect these books. He was a very abusive and controlling asshole and did not want me to enjoy anything that did not revolve around him.

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

Yeah, I'm with Ka-Tet up there - this was his 18th and now that he has the horn he can finally complete his quest for the 19th and final time.
    *knocks on wood*

Country
    Country Flag

I see your point but we mustn't forget that Roland was incredibly old when he reached the Tower. I mean he wasn't about 50. He had a damn long life anyway. And from such a long (and painful) life 19 sounds a lot to me. Almost endless.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast