Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: That Thing, You Can Only Talk About If You've Finished the Series

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

This thread makes for interesting reading.
    What's happening with it? Will a poll be added?

The Tower and its nature is a subject multi-facted enough to require numerous threads, I reckon. I'll look up a quote from The Wastelands about magic and technology if this IS the place to post it. It's hard to really much discuss that subject in any part without spoilers, though. (Here are quite a few serious ones out, already, I see.)

I think that Walter gets most of his knowledge of the Tower --and most of the powers related to it that he shows-- from the Crimson King. Apparently, though, he already had the idea to climb the Tower for the chance to rule the multiverse. Might be interesting to discuss what makes these villians so sure that that'd be possible.

Traveler skoldpadda is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I have to say that I strongly disagree with the idea that the world revolves around Roland, or that this is all an internal thing. King's premise for the story was that it would be an epic to rival the Lord of the Rings, and he accomplished that by making the scope of the story massive.

It just seems strange to me that if the tower could send Roland back in time to the desert, how come it could not save the beams from the breakers?

Unless (an idea occurs here...) what if Roland dies at the top of the tower, and is sent elsewhere like Jake was in the first book, only he finds himself in the desert? Just as Jake had no memory of his death in 1977, Roland has no memory of his quest for the tower.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

My question is how many times do you think he has repeated his quest for the tower?
    every time. you think he did this twice, then let his cousin Phil have a turn?
    I THINK NOT!!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by skoldpadda View Post
    It just seems strange to me that if the tower could send Roland back in time to the desert, how come it could not save the beams from the breakers?
    Maybe it could and it wasn't within the tower's/Gan's/Ka's will?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice wildfire1290 is on a distinguished road wildfire1290's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    But why would the tower let itself be destroyed?
    Opinion in politics, and politics, is an evil which has caused many a fellow to be hung while he’s still young and pretty.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wildfire1290 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    But why would the tower let itself be destroyed?
    In order to TRY to answer that, let's suppose there is some god (Gan?). A god that in part relies on some sort/degree of faith (maybe a part of ka). Let's say it also relies on a free will of sort (also maybe a part of ka). In other words let's say it needs or wants to be saved, thus it has to have some risk of destruction...a real risk of it I think. In short if it's never at risk and exists perfectly without any difficulties it becomes insignificant, meaningless, cheap, and worthless. If there is no risk of it's destruction then there is no risk of the multiverse's destruction either. There cannot be salvation if there is nothing to be saved from.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice wildfire1290 is on a distinguished road wildfire1290's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hmm makes sense. I'm just wondering how many followers of Gan and follow the concept of Ka are out there in Rolands world.
    Opinion in politics, and politics, is an evil which has caused many a fellow to be hung while he’s still young and pretty.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wildfire1290 View Post
    Hmm makes sense. I'm just wondering how many followers of Gan and follow the concept of Ka are out there in Rolands world.
    In my mind it's comparable to Christianity (or any other major religion for that matter) in that there are many followers, many ex-followers, many piecemail followers (who pick and choose parts to believe), and many pretenders. That seems to be how things are in this world. I see no cause to believe it would be otherwise in Roland's (or any other).

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

But if there are that many people why would the Tower purposely put itself in harms way?

Traveler Son of Paul is on a distinguished road Son of Paul's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    I think Walter knows about Roland's loop, not the specifics or even the why's. To me the "19" had nothing to do with the number of loops, just with the date of King's possible death and with his death the likely death of the Dark Tower.
    I'm with you. I think he told Nort that it was all some story, that they weren't real (of course, I like to think they were real, just kinda directed a bit by King). When Walter talks of Roland being so close, and the Gunslinger actually wonders about it to himself, that signals that Walter knows something. Not all, otherwise I doubt he would have been so eager to reach the top himself.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

you have to consider the fact that Walter has tried to kill Roland and Mordred, was because they both had the insignias needed to open the way to the Tower. therefore, if he wanted to get inside the tower, he needed the key, which he didn't have.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

dad a diddle
    dad a dower
    walter has never
    been inside the tower

dad a chum
    dad a chee
    walter will never
    get the key

nice, turtlesong.

:radioactive: Can "The Gunslinger" really be called the beginning?

seeing as it's an endless loop?

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

If you ask me, yes.

Roland would have understood.

Super Saiyan Mark is on a distinguished road Mark's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I believe it's the beginning of that loop, so, yes, it's a beginning.
    2:45 am- 11th February 2008- I Finished The Dark Tower

Super Saiyan Mark is on a distinguished road Mark's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Start

Do you think Roland's cycle always starts in the desert or not?
    2:45 am- 11th February 2008- I Finished The Dark Tower

Citizen of Gilead Ka-tet is on a distinguished road Ka-tet's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I belive so, although i dont really think there is any solid evidance i dont think its a conincidence the first book starts there and the last ends there. But i do think events before the desert can be changed. As well as events after, the loop has to end somtime.
    If you love me, then love me-Susan of mejis
    See the turtle, aint he keen? All things serve the fucking beam-Eddie of NewYork
    You burn prettily-Corwin of Amber

just a thought, especially since W&G shows the beginning of the quest. in mejis.

almost definitely.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

yes
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Let's not forget the fact that the loop starts over again in the coda to Volume VII. I actually felt a need to re-read the first subchapter of The Gunslinger after I came to the end.

Certainly in the case of the revised and expanded edition, that's the case....

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

i think yes. i believe the looping always begins in the desert though what comes after, in my opinion, is not always the same.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think things in the past can change too, but I think Roland always loops back to the desert. The end of the book strongly suggested this was always the case.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I suppose an argument could be made that he gets closer every time. We only know for sure he started in the desert this time.

However, I think the Tower has the ability to shape Roland's further back in his past than the desert. Meaning, like LOST, nothing is set in stone.

Because we are dealing with the lynch pin of time and space here.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast