Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: That Thing, You Can Only Talk About If You've Finished the Series

Traveler jayres54 is on a distinguished road

Maybe Roland's time is in the year 3000 like previously stated. Maybe there was some kind of nuclear war. But I think that his world is connected to the Stand. Roland's world could be a world that evolved from the remnants of Boulder free zone. One of the founders of the free zone commitee (Glenn Bateman) talks about people reverting to magic and worshiping things like the sun and whatnot when an enlightened civilization dissapears. Roland's society and world seem like a world regressed with remnants of technology surrounding it. The wastelands could be leftovers from the nuclear explosion caused by God to destroy Flagg's society. The places and people could have been different but it could be a different version of that sequence of events. I see many connections between the Stand being the beginning of Roland's world. I am sure of one thing though, throughout the sets of the multiverse, every outcome and every connection are invariably achieved and being played out. King's writings are just the ones he tells about. So if you have a problem with the way he brought some things about, know that in a world other than these, there is a completely different set of circumstances playing out.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

If so, then there must be a world in which the Tower is destroyed. That would mean that the Multiverse does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    One simple question..
    why does he have to restart the loop from the middle of the desert? Why from there

I think there's a simple answer to the original question of this thread. I think he had to return to the desert in the first book because in the keystone world, Stephen King is the dark tower and Roland is bound to his books. He'll always have to repeat the journey because the actual truth is he's a fictional character, and someone will always be reading his story. I think the 'Dark Tower' gave roland the horn, not so much to reasure Roland that there may be an end to his journey, but to give us (the readers) a ray of hope for Roland so we won't be as outraged and horrified by the truth.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tachibana_ichiro_sukeomi View Post
    One simple question..
    why does he have to restart the loop from the middle of the desert? Why from there

I think there's a simple answer to the original question of this thread. I think he had to return to the desert in the first book because in the keystone world, Stephen King is the dark tower and Roland is bound to his books. He'll always have to repeat the journey because the actual truth is he's a fictional character, and someone will always be reading his story. I think the 'Dark Tower' gave roland the horn, not so much to reasure Roland that there may be an end to his journey, but to give us (the readers) a ray of hope for Roland so we won't be as outraged and horrified by the truth.
    Roland is not a fictional character. I don't say it because I am an insane DT junkie I say it because the books don't tell us that he is a fictional character. I don't interpret the appearance of SK in the story this way at all.

Roland would have understood.

Ouch

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Roland is not a fictional character.
    Uh.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Wuducynn View Post

Uh.
    No, really, he is not, it's as Nikolett said. Umney is a fictional character within the context of his story, but Roland isn't within his, not much more so than if it was Churchill described by Sir Martin Gilbert, his biographer. The relation between Roland and King is more complex because King-in-the-story for some time doesn't suspect he is not writing about a fictional character, and also by the mutual influence of the Dark Tower (where both the inspiration and existence come from) and what the storyteller writes in his particular universe, but, being complex, it still exists in the book as a relationship between two real, non-fictional people.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post

Uh.
    No, really, he is not, it's as Nikolett said. Umney is a fictional character within the context of his story, but Roland isn't within his, not much more so than if it was Churchill described by Sir Martin Gilbert, his biographer. The relation between Roland and King is more complex because King-in-the-story for some time doesn't suspect he is not writing about a fictional character, and also by the mutual influence of the Dark Tower (where both the inspiration and existence come from) and what the storyteller writes in his particular universe, but, being complex, it still exists in the book as a relationship between two real, non-fictional people.
    I see, yes within the story he is not a fictional character. Gotcha.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Uh.
    There were some sentences (and a certain explanation) coming after this.

Thanks Jean.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Uh.

Thanks Jean.

It's more fun to just ignore all that and focus on something I can get argumentative about though.

Country
    Country Flag

Uh.

Thanks Jean.

It's more fun to just ignore all that and focus on something I can get argumentative about though.
    You won.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

One simple question..

Roland is not a fictional character. I don't say it because I am an insane DT junkie I say it because the books don't tell us that he is a fictional character. I don't interpret the appearance of SK in the story this way at all.
    Part of whats the series so great is the fact that by the end of it, reality and fiction have been totally blended and blurred together
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Traveler Corwin is on a distinguished road Corwin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, for me, back when it was rumored that the completion of the Dark Tower was the completion of King's writings, I thought it was some cosmic F-You to the reader for waiting all those years and reading all those words just to get plunked back into the beginning of the first book.
    I of course recovered from that theory, and now just figure that if Roland's fate is to take another spin on the karmic wheel, he should be returned to the same place we are. Everything before that point either doesn't matter or doesn't affect his outcome significantly.
    Either way, I'm 5/7th of the way through the 3rd reading.

Gunslinger Apprentice lisaki is on a distinguished road lisaki's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's close to what I believe.
    That's what I wrote in the ending thread:
    It'd make sense much more to me, if we hadn't given the hope that the next time maybe would be the last, with the horn thing. I'd like to see Roland as a man who holds the Tower and thus the universes safe, by living the same journey again and again. Roland could be a creature that holds everything together. No salvation for him... but only for the Tower and the universes.

That would make sense to me for another reason, also. This is a story about stories. When I finish the last book, someone somewhere in the world is picking the "gunslinger" to read for the first time, and Roland has to start his journey all over again. That's why he had to start from the desert. That's where the "Gunslinger" started. He keeps his own little universe safe, doing this. His universe which is nothing more than 7 books (and who are we to know that our universe is bigger or more important than that?). When people stop reading the DT series, Roland's journey will end. The Beams will break. The Tower will fall. That little universe will be destroyed and forgotten for ever.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by lisaki View Post
    That's close to what I believe.
    That's what I wrote in the ending thread:
    It'd make sense much more to me, if we hadn't given the hope that the next time maybe would be the last, with the horn thing. I'd like to see Roland as a man who holds the Tower and thus the universes safe, by living the same journey again and again. Roland could be a creature that holds everything together. No salvation for him... but only for the Tower and the universes.

That would make sense to me for another reason, also. This is a story about stories. When I finish the last book, someone somewhere in the world is picking the "gunslinger" to read for the first time, and Roland has to start his journey all over again. That's why he had to start from the desert. That's where the "Gunslinger" started. He keeps his own little universe safe, doing this. His universe which is nothing more than 7 books (and who are we to know that our universe is bigger or more important than that?). When people stop reading the DT series, Roland's journey will end. The Beams will break. The Tower will fall. That little universe will be destroyed and forgotten for ever.
    Very intriguing idea. Reminds me of the Neverending Story (one of my favorite books and movies of all time).

"If you have never spent whole afternoons with burning ears and rumpled hair, forgetting the world around you over a book, forgetting cold and hunger. If you have never read secretly under the bedclothes with a flashlight, because your father or mother or some other well-meaning person has switched off the lamp on the plausible ground that it was time to sleep because you had to get up so early.
    "If you have never wept bitter tears because a wonderful story has come to an end and you must take your leave of the characters with whom you have shared so many adventures, whom you have loved and admired, for whom you have hoped and feared, and without whose company life seems empty and meaningless.
    "If such things have not been part of your own experience, you probably won’t understand what Bastian did next."

Gunslinger Apprentice lisaki is on a distinguished road lisaki's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hitchhiker View Post
    one of my favorite books and movies of all time
    mine too

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I've always thought Roland had to start it all back from the desert because the desert is a sort of introduction to meeting Jake. After he meets Jake, he has to decide not to let him fall to his death. I thought that was his biggest mistake and that was the main thing the Tower wanted him to do right.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

So could he have redeemed himself if he had shot Jake at the way station or thrown him to the slow mutants to avoid Jake falling?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    So could he have redeemed himself if he had shot Jake at the way station or thrown him to the slow mutants to avoid Jake falling?
    He had already done that, in the past loops.

(By the way, now I hope he'll repair Shardik instead of killing him. Giant bears are no less scarce than gunslingers, I assure you.)

Gunslinger Apprentice Bumbler19 is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    If so, then there must be a world in which the Tower is destroyed. That would mean that the Multiverse does not exist.
    pwned

(By the way, now I hope he'll repair Shardik instead of killing him. Giant bears are no less scarce than gunslingers, I assure you.)

What significant part do you think Shardik could have played? he couldn't very well have joined them on their journey. Maybe Shardik could have done some repairing of the beam from his location.... being a guardian and all. If a guardian was working effectively the story may have not been as dramatic or long. Then again, maybe more than he would need to be working to have a significant enough impact on the intact of the beam.

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbler19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    pwned

What significant part do you think Shardik could have played? he couldn't very well have joined them on their journey. Maybe Shardik could have done some repairing of the beam from his location.... being a guardian and all. If a guardian was working effectively the story may have not been as dramatic or long. Then again, maybe more than he would need to be working to have a significant enough impact on the intact of the beam.
    I think you both have a very good point here: if Roland had repaired Shardik, there's no obvious reason for Shardik not to take care of the Beam. Maybe Shardik was mad because of a sequence of events that had happened previously and that were illogical (killing a kid, making a man fall to his death on the A-train tracks, though I'm not too sure about that one).
    Still, I believe Jake is not THE key to salvation but one in a multiple set of keys Roland didn't get in the series we read.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think his salvation and damnation are maybe one and the same.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

Never expected my obviously jocular Shardik statement to provoke any kind of discussion... and Brice, as an old-fashioned bear I believe that salvation and damnation, his or anybody's, are very different, dialectics or no dialectics.

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think the horn of Eld shows the past had been different but I dont necessarily think it's only Roland who has to change before his loop ends. I think the world isnt ready. At the end of the series the world is still a mess - another Crimson king or Farson could come along therefore presenting another threat to the Dark Tower.

The world has to change as well to create a safe environment for the Tower.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast