Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Book List

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post
    [*]The Yiddish Policeman's Union, Michael Chabon (audio)
    I read this one last fall and really enjoyed it. I was hooked from the start as i found the whole premise of a jewish homeland in Alaska rather than the Middle East fascinating.

The audio version I have is read by Peter Reigert [who played Boone in Animal House] who has a great voice for it. Very enjoyable story once it really gets going. Hope you enjoy it when you get to it CR!

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post
    [*]The Yiddish Policeman's Union, Michael Chabon (audio)
    I read this one last fall and really enjoyed it. I was hooked from the start as i found the whole premise of a jewish homeland in Alaska rather than the Middle East fascinating.

The audio version I have is read by Peter Reigert [who played Boone in Animal House] who has a great voice for it. Very enjoyable story once it really gets going. Hope you enjoy it when you get to it CR!

It's next in line after I finish Water for Elephants! I have to plan out my audio books by how I get them from the library and if they can be renewed. Most of them have waiting lists and you never know which will come in first! Some might have a bigger list but also the library system may have more copies! And I end up getting them faster. As an example, when I reserved A Thousand Splending Suns I was #66 on the list - I think I am #28 now! Its been about 2-3 months since I put it on my list.

I have a book The Water's Lovely by Ruth Rendell that I just keep renewing as I get others that have to be read. If there is no waiting list you can renew over and over. If there is a list you have to return in the allotted time - 3 weeks I think.

I actually have 4 audio books in the car right now and just got notificaiton that No Country for Old Men is ready for pickup. The Ruth Rendell book keeps sliding to the back of the pack! I'llpick up the new book and drop of 20th Century Ghosts in a few days. When you reserve they usually give you 1-2 weeks to actually go and pick them up before they put them back in circulation.

I listen only on comute days - M to F - but I sometimes work from home - and I drive about 75 minutes each way so I get through 2+ CDs per each day that I drive to work!
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Updated list:
    3. Mister B. Gone-Clive Barker
    Be sure to let me know how it is, Brice!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Updated list:
    I fucking loved it. I'm not sure if I like it as much as The Books of Blood, but I vanished in it and it is great to see Clive make a return to horror.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Updated List:

1. Imajica - Clive Barker
    2. The Golden Compass - Philip Pullman
    3. The Subtle Knife - Philip Pullman
    4. The Amber Spyglass - Philip Pullman
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Updated list:
    I fucking loved it. I'm not sure if I like it as much as The Books of Blood, but I vanished in it and it is great to see Clive make a return to horror.
    "Good, real horrorshow!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Updated List:

1. Imajica - Clive Barker
    How'd you like it?

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh wow I loved it FP! Really a great, epic book. I even had a dream about Gentle the other night.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Updated:

The Immortals by Tracy Hickman
    Confessor by Terry Goodkind
    The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
    Legacy of the Force: Sacrifice by Karen Travvis
    Dune by Frank Herbert
    The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff
    A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S. Thompson
    The Golden Compass(put this down a while back and finally picked it back up) - Phillip Pullman
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Oo oo are you reading The Subtle Knife next? It's really really good.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

If I can manage to aquire an audio version of it. I plan to. I was listening to The Golden Compass at work.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

UPDATED

Read:
    Wolves of the Calla [audiobook re-read] - Stephen King
    Song of Susannah [audiobook re-read] - Stephen King
    Road to the Dark Tower - Bev Vincent
    The Act You've Known for All These Years - Clinton Heylin
    War Fever - J.G. Ballard
    Passion Is a Fashion [The Real Story of The Clash] - Pat Gilbert
    Duma Key - SK

Currently Reading:
    The Many Lives of Tom Waits - Patrick Humphries
    American Gangster - Marck Jacobson

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

1. Insomnia ~ SK (reread)
    2. The Shining ~ SK (reread)
    3. A Rage In Harlem ~ Chester Himes
    4. A Thief Of Time ~ Terry Pratchett (reread)
    5. The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat ~ Oliver Sacks
    6. The Colorado Kid ~ SK
    7. Duma Key ~ SK
    8. The Stand ~ SK (reread)
    9. Thud! ~ Terry Pratchett - currently reading

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm almost ashamed to post my list, it's pretty much a dwarf compared to everyone else's

Catch-22 (completed)
    A Game of Thrones (completed)
    The Hobbit (currently reading)
    Duma Key (will commence shortly)

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Already read:
    4 Anita Blake books (thanks to the coworker who duped me into getting hooked on them)
    Sandman v. 6 & 7

Currently reading:
    American Gods
    Cerulean Sins - Laurell Hamilton

On the list:
    More Neil Gaimen
    The other Sandman volumes
    Duma Key
    Blaze
    all the other Laurell Hamilton books
    Rant (I should have read this a long time ago, but I don't want to read my signed copy...)
    Cormac McCarthy's The Road and No Country For Old Men
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Your signed copy...

And you will totally love Rant. It has replaced Choke as my favorite Chucky P book.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    It has replaced Choke as my favorite Chucky P book.
    They're going to make a movie out of Choke! It's going to star Sam Rockwell and Angelica Houston, if my memory serves me correctly.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

UPDATED

Christine - Stephen King (reread)
    Water for Elephants - Susan Gruen
    Lost Boy Lost Girl - Peter Straub
    A Widow for One Year - John Irving
    Blaze - Stephen King
    Cujo - Stephen King (reread)
    Danse Macabre - Stephen King (trying to finish this time!)
    The Dark Half - Stephen King (reread)
    The Memory of Running - Ron McLarty (reading)

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Daggers, how was Water for Elephants? I've picked it up over and over again at the bookstore, but never bought it.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

It was awesome! Nothing I would have normally picked up for myself, but my boss lent it to me and it turned out to be a really good read!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

i'd never heard of it until you mentioned it Dag, but reading some reviews of it, it sounds very interesting. i may have to pick it up after I finish American Gangster this weekend.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Another good one from my '07 list was The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. My boss loaned me that one, too. I'd picked it up a couple times but never bought it. It was an awesome read.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Thanks Daghain, I had never heard of either of those books, but I just looked them up and they both sound really interesting. I'll have to add them to my list of books to read.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

updated list:

in Russian:

1. Дина Рубина. На солнечной стороне улицы [Dina Rubina. On the Sunny Side] - novel
    2. Дина Рубина. На Верхней Масловке [Dina Rubina. At Upper Maslovka] - novel
    3. Дина Рубина. Двойная фамилия [Dina Rubina. Double Name] - novel
    4. Дина Рубина. Рассказы (Любка; Воскресная месса в Толедо; Гладь озера в пасмурной мгле) [Dina Rubina. Short Stories: Lyubka; Sunday Mass in Toledo; Lake Surface at Twilight]
    5. Дина Рубина. Астральный полет души на уроке физики. - Рассказы. [Dina Rubina. Astral Flight of Soul and a Physics Class.] - Short Stories (reread)
    6. Николай Носов. Рассказы [Nikolay Nosov. Short Stories (for kids)] (reread)
    7. Николай Носов. Повести. [Nikolay Nosov. Three novels (for kids)] (reread)
    8. Борис Акунин. Шпионский роман [Boris Akunin. Spy Novel. (from Project: Genres)] (reread)
    9. Борис Акунин. Фантастический роман [Boris Akunin. Fantasy Novel. (from Project: Genres) (reread)
    10. Александр Бушков. Полковник, ставший капитаном. [Alexander Bushkov. Colonel Who Became Captain.] Non-fiction.
    11. Астрид Линдгрен. Карлсон, который живет на крыше. [Astrid Lindgren. Karlsson on the Roof] - Novel (for kids); Translated from Swedish. (reread)
    12. Астрид Линдгрен. Приключения Калле Блюмквиста. [Astrid Lindgren. Kalle Blomkvist's Adventures] - Novel (for kids); Translated from Swedish. (reread)
    13. Александр Бушков. А.С.: Секретная миссия. [Alexander Bushkov. A.S.: Secret Mission] - Novel (reread; in progress)
    14. Юрий Поляков. Замыслил я побег. [Yuriy Poliakov. Escape] - Novel (reread)
    15. Юрий Поляков. Козленок в молоке. [Yuriy Poliakov. Goat in Its Mother's Milk] - Novel (reread)
    16. Александр Бушков. Иван Грозный: кровавый поэт. [Alexander Bushkov. Ivan the Terrible] - nonfiction
    17. Владимир Соловьев. Путин: путеводитель для неравнодушных. [Vladimir Soloviev. Putin: a Guide] - nonfiction.
    18. Юрий Поляков. ЧП районного масштаба. [Yuriy Poliakov. Emergency] - novel (reread)
    19. Юрий Поляков. Работа над ошибками. [Yuriy Poliakov. Mistakes Correction] - novel (reread)
    20. Юрий Поляков. Грибной царь. [Yuriy Poliakov. Mushroom King] - novel (reread).
    21. Юрий Поляков. Подземный художник. [Yuriy Poliakov. Subterranean Artist] - novelette.
    22. Юрий Поляков. Возвращение блудного мужа. [Yuriy Poliakov. The Return of a Prodigal Husband] - novelette.
    23. Виктор Пелевин [Victor Pelevin]. Generation P. - Novel (reread)
    24. Виктор Пелевин. Чапаев и Пустота. [Victor Pelevin. Chapaev and Emptiness]. - Novel (reread)
    25. Виктор Пелевин. Священная книга оборотня. [Victor Pelevin. The Sacred Book of Kitsune] - Novel
    26. Анна Старобинец. Убежище 3/9 [Anna Starobinetz. Shelter 3/9] - Novel

in German:

1. Andersen. Märchen. (in progress)

in English:

1. Stephen King, Peter Straub. Black House (reread)
    2. William Kotzwinkle. The Bear Went Over the Mountain
    3. Stephen King. The Tommyknockers (reread)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Updated:

The Immortals by Tracy Hickman
    Confessor by Terry Goodkind
    The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
    Legacy of the Force: Sacrifice by Karen Travvis
    Dune by Frank Herbert
    The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff
    A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S. Thompson
    The Golden Compass(put this down a while back and finally picked it back up) - Phillip Pullman
    Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk(another I started long ago and just got around to finishing)
    Star Wars Legacy of the Force: Inferno by Troy Denning

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

My Updated 2008 Reading Lists

Finished
    • The Memory Keeper's Daughter
    • Peter and the Secret of Rundoon, Dave Barry/Ridley Pearson (audio)
    • 20th Century Ghosts, Joe Hill (audio)
    • Water for Elephants, Sara Gruen (audio)

Currently Reading
    • Duma Key, Stephen King
    • The Yiddish Policeman's Union, Michael Chabon (audio)

Planning on Reading
    • No Country for Old Men, Cormac McCarthy (audio) - Next in Line
    • The Long Road Home #1 - #5, Marvel Comics
    • The Water's Lovely, Ruth Rendell (audio)
    • Candles Burning, Tabatha King/Michael McDowell
    • We're All In This Together, Owen King
    • The Golden Compass, Philip Pullman (audio)
    • A Thousand Splendid Suns, Khaled Hosseini (audio)
    • Paul of Dune, Brian Herbert/kevin J. Anderson
    • Brisingr, Christopher Paolini
    • Pedro Páramo, Juan Rulfo
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast