Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Top 100 Novels: Positions 90 to 100

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Top 100 Novels: Positions 90 to 100

90. The Hobbit, by J. R. R. Tolkien (1937)
    91. Something Wicked This Way Comes, by Ray Bradbury (1962)
    92. Watership Down, by Richard Adams (1972)
    93. The Princess Bride, by William Goldman (1973)
    94. White Fang, by Jack London (1906)
    95. The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde (1890)
    96. The Last of the Mohicans, by James Fenimore Cooper (1826)
    97. American Psycho, by Bret Easton Ellis (1991)
    98. The Karamazov Brothers, by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (1880)
    99. Jaws , by Peter Benchley (1974)
    100. The Trial, by Franz Kafka (1914-1915, published in 1925)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

98 :'(
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

2 are my nominations
    Sloth Love Chunk

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    98 :'(
    Precisely. Thank God it made the list at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    2 are my nominations
    My nomination proudly sits at #100.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I am surprised that a few of these novels have fallen so low on the list. Regardless, I do not really look at the list in terms of the number ranking, but as the 100 best novels of all time. I think trying to rank them within themselves is a little silly. EVERYONE will have their own bias, as it should be in this case.

I am surprisingly glad that "The Godfather" is hanging tough. It and "Jaws" are guilty favorites of mine.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

silly or not, a list is a list and it is numbered, so I think it's logical to find out what the voters think

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't see a difference between internally ranking a 100 list and formulating it separate from all other books to begin with... but if this is just a way to suggest that there's an elusive real value to these activities beside which the tangible order pales, I like that thought. Best course is not taking it overly serious, yet complete the thing anyway for, as they say, just the fun of it.

Country
    Country Flag

Precisely.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Jean is the complete 100 books listed somewhere (not bothered about final order yet) - just checking the old ebook server (I have servers for everything ) and want to ensure they are all available and tagged ready for the mammoth 2014 read....
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Country
    Country Flag

Goblin, the bad news is that you seem to have missed most of the fun.

The good news is that the fun is still going on. The bottom half of the list has been completed, you can see it here, but the voting on the top half is still in progress in Dutch Hill!

here's the thread that keeps track of the history

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Goblin, the bad news is that you seem to have missed most of the fun.

The good news is that the fun is still going on. The bottom half of the list has been completed, you can see it here, but the voting on the top half is still in progress in Dutch Hill!

here's the thread that keeps track of the history
    I've been voting, but I lost track of the books when it went from the big list of over 200 to the new 100 list. I could probably work out from the big list what is in the top half - I was just looking for a simple list of titles before the rankings got finalised.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Country
    Country Flag

I was sure I saw you voting, so bears were surprised you somehow lost track! Here's the 100 list, in rough order:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...l=1#post804514

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

this is why Goblins are confused...

I cant assume the first 100 of those books made it into the final 100. For example 104 is The Hobbit, which has made the top 100 (no 90) - same for The Karamazov Brothers was 107 now 98.
    Goblins understand there have been 'play offs' but cannot be sure what the final 100 are.

Country
    Country Flag

The books we are talking about all had 2 secondings each: positions 90 to 130. They were broken into groups and voted to see which get to the final list, and on their position on the list. The Hobbit and The Karamazov made it, but since 11 slots were voted among 41 books, 30 books didn't move on.

The final 100 doesn't even exist yet. Now that the bottom half has been sealed, it is a fact that all books that are above it are already on the list, but we're still voting on their final positions there.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    The books we are talking about all had 2 secondings each: positions 90 to 130. They were broken into groups and voted to see which get to the final list, and on their position on the list. The Hobbit and The Karamazov made it, but since 11 slots were voted among 41 books, 30 books didn't move on.

The final 100 doesn't even exist yet. Now that the bottom half has been sealed, it is a fact that all books that are above it are already on the list, but we're still voting on their final positions there.
    Sorry Jean i'm not making myself clear. right now I am not concerned with final order. I just want the list of 100 in order to gather said books for my kindle. I will arrange them sequentially when the final votes are made.

I could probably work it out by going through the list manually and removing all books that have been already voted upon. But Goblins are inherently lazy and hope bears have list to hand. PM me if you don't want to confuse the thread

Country
    Country Flag

I see! Just take the top part from here (1 to 47, no final order, but they will all be there; ignore the rest of the list), and the bottom part (48 to 100) from here

ETA: it's not you not making yourself clear. It's bears getting dumb from looking at anagrams

Country
    Country Flag

goblin, I have moved your last post where it belongs

+ Reply to Thread