Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which novels should advance?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Trial, by Franz Kafka

9 36.00%
  • Children of Men, by P.D.James

5 20.00%
  • Cloud Atlas, by David Mitchell

7 28.00%
  • Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott

9 36.00%
  • The Master and Margarita, by Mikhail Bulgakov

5 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Top 100 Round 1-1, Group A

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Top 100 Round 1-1, Group A

In this round, consisting of two sub-rounds, we determine which of the 41 novels with 2 secondings will occupy the 11 slots left in the 100 list.

You can vote for as many as you like. Top 3 will advance to the next sub-round.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

everyone is very welcome to comment on the votes!

bears voted The Trial and The Master and Margarita

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yay for The Master and Margarita! Such as awesome, awesome book!
    If you are going through hell - keep going

Country
    Country Flag

Totally. I believe you too know it by heart. Apart from its other merits, it's an inexhaustible source of quotations.

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You say true, I say thankya

And every time I have a migraine I remember that specific part of the book and just hope that mine will never ever have such devastating consequences.

Country
    Country Flag

I've been doing exactly the same since I first read the book, at 11 years old

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I want everyone to read Cloud Atlas.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

cant vote again.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    I want everyone to read Cloud Atlas.
    I absolutely loved this book. It got my vote.

I added The Master and Margarita to my "To Read" list based on all the love it's getting from friends upthread.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Country
    Country Flag

I am afraid it will lose most of its charm in translation...

And I must read Cloud Atlas too.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I read CLOUD ATLAS knowing nothing except that it was receiving good reviews. I had no idea of the storyline, structure, etc. It blew me away.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Country
    Country Flag

Added Cloud Atlas to my "future reading" list.

Jean, have you seen/read any English translations of The Master and Margarita? I would love to compare it to the original Russian text - the subtleties, the atmosphere, etc.

Country
    Country Flag

No, and I dread to see it! Though curiosity might prevail some day.

Country
    Country Flag

since it seems that everyone who was going to vote has already voted, the poll will be closed in 36 hours

too bad The Master and Margarita will not make it...

Country
    Country Flag

:sigh:
    I kinda thought so.

Country
    Country Flag

last chance to vote

the poll is closing in four hours

Country
    Country Flag

The poll is now closed.

The Trial
    Cloud Atlas
    Little Women

advance to the next round

+ Reply to Thread