Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Samanth Shannon, The Bone Season, who has read it? Next J K Rowling???

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Samanth Shannon, The Bone Season, who has read it? Next J K Rowling???

Has anyone read her 1st novel The Bone Season?
    I thought it was very good. Great story telling at 21 years old. Has anyone else read it yet?
    How collectable do you think she will get? My guess is Very, at least for a while.

lol, thread topic was supposed to be Samantha Shannon. Not sure how to change it. Moderators?

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I haven't read it yet, but I did buy the Goldsboro Books limited first edition on a hunch. I'm hopeful that the series succeeds. I've heard mixed reviews, but I'm sure as she writes future books in the series, she will improve. It is next in line on my Kindle.

Gunslinger Apprentice Booknutt is on a distinguished road Booknutt's Avatar

Been looking for a first. Think I waited too long. :/

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

a signed 1st sold on eBay today for about $60. they are jumping up though.

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

the best place to search is the Ebay uk site - the shipping will run you about $35-45 - but several have sold for as low as $50. but there are more 1st/2nd popping up - and some don't list the books very well.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

I have a copy of the Goldsboro Limited Edition as well but haven't read it yet. Looks interesting. It seems to be standing up to the hype.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

I ordered a signed copy from Goldsboro but haven't received it yet. It's not the limited, just signed 1st.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Goldsboro is stretching the definition of "limited". They took 250 first printings, stamped "Exclusive Signed First Edition" in it, and numbered them. So they are no different from a 1st except that they gave it the stamp. I'm seeing this trend a lot lately. The new Gaiman novel as a similar stamp of 500 in it, but it is just a regular 1st printing.

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    Goldsboro is stretching the definition of "limited". They took 250 first printings, stamped "Exclusive Signed First Edition" in it, and numbered them. So they are no different from a 1st except that they gave it the stamp. I'm seeing this trend a lot lately. The new Gaiman novel as a similar stamp of 500 in it, but it is just a regular 1st printing.
    Hey wait - there's an embossed stamp and a little flower too - don't forget the flower stamp...pretty sure that's only in the one with the limitation page.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cit74 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    Hey wait - there's an embossed stamp and a little flower too - don't forget the flower stamp...pretty sure that's only in the one with the limitation page.
    True, but to me, for it to be a "limited edition", I think the book should be different from the trade edition. Sticking a limitation page in a trade 1st edition or stamping it with an embossed stamp does not make it a "limited edition" in my eyes. I'll collect them if I can, but they are nothing more than 1st editions with a twist.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I don't really see the value in them other than an extra stamp. My copy cost less too.

I'm just concerned that it hasn't arrived yet. Does Goldsboro have any kind of guarantee?

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

here's a great interview.
    http://samantha-shannon.blogspot.com/

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I think she's being done a disservice by being compared to J.K. Rowling. I mean, that is one of the reasons she's selling so many books, but then she gets reviewers who expected a good, engaging story with competent writing and they get this poorly written, amateurish, over-hyped piece of doodoo. Comparison to Rowling sets the bar higher when it really shouldn't be.

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, that's a tough comparison right out of the blocks. But, she did sign for a seven book deal, so everyone was expecting big things.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    I ordered a signed copy from Goldsboro but haven't received it yet. It's not the limited, just signed 1st.
    If it hasn't arrived after 3 weeks I'd send them an email. They may not be able to provide you a replacement but they should give a refund.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

The Cuckoos calling vs The Bone season.
    So I finished The Bone season earlier this week and am about half way through Cuckoos calling. So far its a no brainer on which one has been more exciting to read. Unless J K Rowling/Robert Gaibraith newest book has some insanely cool twist in the last half im going to place my bets on the bone season. A better read in every way. I do still have half of Cuckoos calling to read however so maybe I will change my mind. My guess is it will be to little to late just like casual Vacancy.
    IMO

Along the Path of the Beam Highbury is on a distinguished road Highbury's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

She basically wrote a chunk of that book and built the framework of that story when she was in high school. She gets a good education and finishes the first book while at school. Personally, I think she has an exceptional amount of raw talent and yes marketing/PR run the world thats why the book industry right now is full of 50 shades disease and coauthored books (because the name sells now not the story). The Bone Season isn't what I typically jump for but I do believe there is talent, hope she can build on it.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

She has definitely got it over on the Veronica Roth's, Suzanne Collins, E L James, and pretty much everything in this Genre.
    I found the 1st book very engaging. Although this is an Adult book, I think she kept the language to a YA standard just because there is so much different vocabulary dealing with the either world that most people, including myself would not understand the language and bail on it. I'm sure she didn't want the first book to be over complicated thereby eliminating some of her possible readers. I think it was a nice balance and the glossary in the back of the book helps. I bet the future books in this series will be written even more maturely.
    I look forward to reading a book on another subject matter in the future as well as her next installment in this world of Bone Seasons.
    Im now 60% through the new JK Rowling and im still not impressed with the plot. The writing is very good, so descriptive you feel like you are there. But that only takes me so far. I want to anxious to find out what happens next. Cuckoos calling has been easy for me to put aside at night.
    Anybody else reading The Bone Season yet?

Country
    Country Flag

I'm holding out that my copy will show up soon. I emailed and they said it shipped on the 3rd. Still, it seems like that's a long time but maybe it's in customs or something? I want to read it!

Country
    Country Flag

It just showed up, phew!

Country
    Country Flag

Book 2, The Mime Order is now available at Goldsboro Books for those interested.

http://www.goldsborobooks.com/books/...tion-4222.html

Gunslinger Apprentice Booknutt is on a distinguished road Booknutt's Avatar

I got an advance copy of The Mime Order and I haven't even gotten around to reading the first one yet. Oops.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    Book 2, The Mime Order is now available at Goldsboro Books for those interested.

http://www.goldsborobooks.com/books/...tion-4222.html
    I have a signed numbered edition of book 1. Deciding if I should go ahead and get book 2 and beyond. I haven't read the first time yet...

Country
    Country Flag

I thought the first was very good. You could always cancel your preorder if you don't like it or just sell it.

Country
    Country Flag

I'll probably fall in line and order away

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast