Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Walter General Discussion: The Gunslinger **spoilers

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I mean that in my view, the cycles don't stop. The Tower is never protected once and for all. Until there is something else to take Roland's place, Roland protects the Tower. He's the last of the Eld. The Eld are sworn to protect the Tower.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    But guys... what was that oh-so-damn-important information Walter gave Roland? Roland would have found and opened those doors without his help, too. For my part I am sure Roland would have reached the Tower without "his help" so I don't really see how Walter helped Roland so much.
    Well true, but perhaps it was Walter's ka or anti-ka that he had to speak with Roland before he dissolved to take his new form...

Traveler movieman19 is on a distinguished road

I just read most of this thread and I must say it is very intruiging.

I think I'm going to agree slightly with R_of_G when he says the cycle will continue. No matter what Roland does there will always be the tower. However, the tower will always need Roland to protect it. The beginning will always be the same with him walking in the desert chasing the MIB and end with him walking through the door in the Tower. HOWEVER, there is one big difference between "cycles". We see the difference here as the horn of the eld. One being at the the end of he picks up and carries the horn of the eld with him. He will have that the next go around. Will this change anything throughout his quest this time?? Who knows.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

And if Jake hadn't been dropped, would he have not been okay, and Roland wouldn't have gone temporarily crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    And if Jake hadn't been dropped, would he have not been okay, and Roland wouldn't have gone temporarily crazy?
    my belief is if he didn't drop jake, he wouldn't have been able to draw the others. i believe the scene with the oracle makes it clear that in order for Roland to be invested with the drawing power there had to be a sacrifice, the sacrifice being jake. so he might not have gone crazy, but who knows what would have happened without the others or what.

My Mood
    Worried

Vedddy interesting...

of course i could be wrong. many think i am.

Traveler Father Callahan is on a distinguished road

Default Walter's role *kinda spoilers*

What exactly is Walter's role in the series? In The Gunslinger he is a nemesis, he is trying to stop Roland but at the end instead of fighting or whatever, Walter helps him and they palaver. And I'm not sure of anybody's identity. Are Flagg Marten Farson and Walter all the same person? There is evidence in all books claiming they are and they aren't. It's very confusing.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I consider them all one in the same and I gotta admit, the more I talk about this series....the more I think Walter was trying to help him in his weirdo (self serving) way.

Welcome to the site Father, great to meet you
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

i think Walter is all of them except Farson.

i thought (a) the revised says that they are different people, and (b) the comics show Walter and Farson talking to each other as different people.

no?

Thank you for the welcome!

It seems to me they are one in the same as well. But aren't there references to Walter bringing Marten to Roland and things like that? How did Roland start chasing "the man in black" anyway

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    i think Walter is all of them except Farson.

i thought (a) the revised says that they are different people, and (b) the comics show Walter and Farson talking to each other as different people.

no?
    Yes.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Ooops--didn't see Farson on the list. He would be a different person for sure imo.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

But what about Marten and Walter? Isn't there a part in the first book where it mentions Walter betraying Marten and bringing him to fight Roland?

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I think that might be fixed in the revised edition pere. I'm not sure. The verdict is still out about Marten and Walter in the first three books. I don't think King was sure about it until much later. DT 7 Makes it clear that they are the same person, I think. Read the part where Walter is thinking about Roland before he encounters Mordred.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Father Callahan View Post
    But what about Marten and Walter? Isn't there a part in the first book where it mentions Walter betraying Marten and bringing him to fight Roland?
    I'm not sure if that was ever said, even before they were retconned into being the same.

It IS very confusing, because King only made this change halfway through the books. So if you read it in order, its like this.

*spoilers*

Revised 1: Walter and Marten are the same. Walter's implied to be alive at the end.
    2: Walter's dead. He's also seperate from Marten. I think there's one scene where Roland thinks about three different wizards...Walter, Marten and Flagg!
    3: Walter's still dead. Flagg appears at the end.
    4: Roland again makes reference to Walter and Marten as seperate people.
    5, 6 and 7: Walter and Marten and Flagg are the same, and everyone acts like they knew it all along.

Would have made more sense to make it a revelation that Roland discovers halfway through the series but hey I'm not writing it...
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gunslinger Apprentice KO1 is on a distinguished road KO1's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

But wouldnt these inconsistancies be simply explained by Roland not being aware that all these individuals were in fact the same person

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Callahan View Post
    I'm not sure if that was ever said, even before they were retconned into being the same.

It IS very confusing, because King only made this change halfway through the books. So if you read it in order, its like this.

{snipped for space}

5, 6 and 7: Walter and Marten and Flagg are the same, and everyone acts like they knew it all along.

Would have made more sense to make it a revelation that Roland discovers halfway through the series but hey I'm not writing it...
    This is one of my biggest peeves - the merging of Walter, Marten, and Flagg - but I agree it would've been a bit more palatable had it been a revelation.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by KO1 View Post
    But wouldnt these inconsistancies be simply explained by Roland not being aware that all these individuals were in fact the same person
    No, because at the end of the first book he knows who they are, then he's back to forgetting them in the next three books, and then he's back to remembering them in the last three with no explanation.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

My Mood
    Worried

Walter's presence was to provide one of the biggest surprises of SK history...!!!

Country
    Country Flag

And one of the most unneccessary in the long run.

My Collection

My Mood
    Worried

*shrugs* I liked it. I don't think the first book would have been half as readable without him.

Country
    Country Flag

He was already in it in the first book...he just wasn't Marten.

My Collection

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KO1 View Post
    No, because at the end of the first book he knows who they are, then he's back to forgetting them in the next three books, and then he's back to remembering them in the last three with no explanation.
    Could you provide examples of how Roland "forgets" that they are all the same in books 2-4? Passages would be good, so I can read them myself and try to figure out your position better. As of now, I am completely lost how you can come the your conclusions.

Country
    Country Flag

Every single time he makes reference to the Walter Trinity in Books 2-4, he makes reference to them being different people. Because obviously when King wrote them Walter and Marten were seperate people in Book 1.

When he thinks about the different wizards he knows near the end Book 2, for example, he mentions Walter, Marten and Flagg. In Book 4, when talking about Rhea in the beginning, he goes "She wasn't as bad as Marten...probably not even as bad as Walter"

That's the biggest inconsistency created by DT1 revised. Other ones include mentions of Roland facing the Beast and Maerlyn even though they were written out of the palaver, although the references to them are pretty small so its easy(ier) to ignore.

My Collection

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast