Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Walter General Discussion: The Gunslinger **spoilers

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Where was it exactly, Liz? If you give us some more it will be easier to find the true meaning of the words.

Roland would have understood.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Page 201 in my copy of the Gunslinger.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Shortly before/at the beginning of their palaver...am I right, Liz?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

No, this was before he dropped Jake, and before they saw the slow mutants. Before they went into the mountain. Before the handcar escapade. Walter was taunting Roland, and at the same time letting him know that he wouldn't talk to him if he didn't lose the boy.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay, I'd need a longer quote, although I think I understand his saying that.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Worried

""Gunslinger! How well you fulfill the prophecies of old! Good day and good day and good day!"
    (Roland fires three times and misses all three times)
    "Woud you kill all your answers so easily, gunslinger?"
    "Come down", the gunslinger said. "Answers all around."
    Again that huge, derisive laugh. "It's not your bullets I fear, Roland. It's you idea of answers that scares me."
    "Come down."
    "The other side I think," the man in black said. "On the other side we will hold much council. Just the two of us. Come with me or stay."

My Mood
    Worried

Or maybe Roland's idea of answers is to get to the tower so Walter is scared of Roland reaching the tower? (I don't think that's a spoiler but if I need to I can fix it)

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I think what he means by that is the idea that Roland would not stop until he reached the Tower no matter how many times he was warned. Roland's "idea of answers" is to not stop no matter what, even if it is to bring about the destruction of everyone around him and to potentially bring about the events that destroy the Tower itself. Wizard and Glass spoiler -
    Spoiler:
    A warning we see in Eddie's dream of Roland behind the wheel of the bulldozer points to this in Roland
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

My Mood
    Worried

well if that's true I still don't understand. Why would it frighten Walter?

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    well if that's true I still don't understand. Why would it frighten Walter?
    I think because he is afraid that no matter what he does to try and keep Roland from the Tower it won't work. Remember - Whole series spoiler
    Spoiler:
    Walter is under huge pressure to keep him from the Tower until the Red King can bring it down and from his own plans to get their before Roland and before the CK can bring it down
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

If you come back with a "yeah but I don't get it" after I explained all of that Liz, I'm coming up to Michigan and peeing all over your rug in the middle of the night.

My Mood
    Worried

So Walter didn't even word himself in truth; Roland's idea of answers isn't what really scares him, it's the consequences if he cannot discourage Roland from the tower... He's scared of what may happen to himself because of Roland's one-mindedness...

So Walter didn't even word himself in truth; Roland's idea of answers isn't what really scares him, it's the consequences if he cannot discourage Roland from the tower... He's scared of what may happen to himself because of Roland's one-mindedness...
    No, he was speaking truthfully I think, like I said Roland's idea of answers is getting to the Tower no matter what.

My Mood
    Worried

I still didn't think it would scare Walter since Walter is supposed to be this big bad-ass. I just didn't really picture Walter being scared of much of anything... *shrugs* Maybe my impression of him is too hardcore?

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

We mustn't forget that Walter loved making jokes. That's his way to hide his real thoughts, feelings or goals.
    So many times it doesn't matter what he says because his only goal is to mislead his enemy or to make some gook jokes to have fan.

My Mood
    Worried

So you think this was just a joke, Letti?

Country
    Country Flag

I think he wanted to get rid of Roland at that moment. Roland wasn't ready to choose him instead of the boy. So first of all I think he tried to give very mysterious answers to make Roland more curious and secondly he tried to win time.

My Mood
    Worried

I kind of thought it was too, just him pushing Roland to see if he was ready to give up the boy. To see if Roland was ready for the palaver between them.

Another thing I don't understand is why Jake couldn't join their palaver...

I thought perhaps Walter wanted Roland to sacrifice something important to him to show how badly he wanted the tower.

Country
    Country Flag

Jake was the perfect trap for Roland.

My Mood
    Worried

But why was it important to Walter to know what he would give up for the tower? Roland's devotion to the quest truly shows Walter how he will not stop, but why is this information important to Walter? Or is he just being cocky and not thinking that far ahead?

Country
    Country Flag

But why was it important to Walter to know what he would give up for the tower? Roland's devotion to the quest truly shows Walter how he will not stop, but why is this information important to Walter? Or is he just being cocky and not thinking that far ahead?
    It's not the information he needs. He wanted to be sure that Roland would drop the kid.
    Jake was a double trap.
    On the one hand when Roland drop Jake Roland got farther from the Tower.
    Spoiler:
    During his long journey he realises that he needs his ka-tet his friends to reach the Tower. And to be able to enter.

On the other hand in DotT
    Spoiler:
    Roland almost got insane. He saved Jake's life - you know he stopped the Pusher - and he started to have two story lines in his head.
    There was a boy.
    There was no boy.
    There was a boy. I killed him.
    There was no boy.
    And so on and so on.
    Remember?

So I think Walter was sure if Roland dropped Jake he would lose the way to the Tower.

My Mood
    Worried

Ooooooooooooooooooooooh..... so

Roland loses Jake, that means he
    Spoiler:
    loses it
    and Walter thinks then he will not be able to finish his journey. Very interesting. I like that idea.

I still didn't think it would scare Walter since Walter is supposed to be this big bad-ass. I just didn't really picture Walter being scared of much of anything... *shrugs* Maybe my impression of him is too hardcore?
    So you don't think the idea that Roland would never stop until he reached the Tower, potentially ruining everything Walter has worked for, would make Walter frightened? Just because someone is a "badass" doesn't mean they're not fearful at certain moments.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

As I hhave posted b4, walters fate in dt7 proves that he actually ISNT a big badass he just (except for one fatal slipup) convinces everyone that he is which in my opinion makes him more of a badass than if he was some godpowered freak, the same reason the joker is so much cooler than all those superpowered villain
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

My Mood
    Worried

Well maybe my opinions of Walter are more of those of Randall Flagg... I didn't think Randall was scared of anything. His arrogance was one of his strengths and faults. He thought he was unbeatable, so no, I didn't think he was scared of Roland. I thought that even if Walter believed that Roland was able to reach the tower, wrecking his plans, that Walter would think to have a backup plan and so therefore he wasn't really scared of anything. Of course matters didn't always go his way, but I'm not sure how much foresight he really had. But then again, I may have to think more about this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast