Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Our Top 100 to Stay in History!!!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    ... to date you have "done" nothing. ...
    And I never will. Not if there is the slightest chance that you might benefit from it. I won't lift a finger ever again, no matter how tricky you get. I'm useless to you. And there's not a damn thing you can do about it. But I'm sure you'll find somebody else to exploit. Sad world.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Mike, I totally fail to see your point unless it is to antagonize everyone.
    Have you ever read a magazine? Do you know what an inset is?

Well, never mind. When you said...
    while talking about the future, please do not forget about the present!
    ...I already figured that that was a no. I already regretted trying to think. There was really no need for a pinhead to rub it in.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No, I don't think I've ever actually read a magazine. I hardly ever see them at all. Last time I read one must have been about thirty-five years ago, before I knew any English, so no, I don't know what an inset is. That is why I had hoped you would clarify your point. Neither did I know I impressed you as a "pinhead", but, of course, all knowledge is good and it's always helpful to know how one comes across. To illustrate my regrettable dumbness, I have to say that Bill "exploiting" someone is another piece of knowledge that had escaped me.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Bill "exploiting" someone is another piece of knowledge that had escaped me.
    He's manipulative. And an overbearing pinhead. You don't impress me with those traits, though you are indeed a bit foolish in having befriended him. Of course, I held to the same folly for some time myself, but he's proven quite determined to disabuse me of any good regard for him.

What's the sense behind his above personal attacks? I offend his sense of entitlement, as though I owe him something. So here is an underhanded attempt to connect my sense of self-worth to his appraisal of my productivity. It's a pretty good trick if one happens to be vulnerable to it.

No, I don't think I've ever actually read a magazine. I hardly ever see them at all. Last time I read one must have been about thirty-five years ago, before I knew any English, so no, I don't know what an inset is. That is why I had hoped you would clarify your point.
    Well, I can understand that. Most magazines are pretty silly, actually. If you're curious, insets, or sidebars, are a fairly common feature in some stylized publications, a way to liven up the page. (Although, flipping though an issue of Cemetery Dance that I happened to pick up here, it all looks pretty straightly presented anyway.) I was talking about employing a secondary category to achieve several things at once, including possibly resolving some of the complications which had come up on the other thread.
    But it's moot now in any event: My last point was that I had not in fact intended to force the idea on anyone.
    So what was the sense in quoting me to start with, placing my thoughts specifically, in contrast? --
    Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Maybe we should make it Dutch Hill's 100 Greatest Novels of All Time and as an inset also show thedarktower.org's 20 greatest suspense novels. To promote the site as a place where fans of mystery and weird tales congregate, yet also show that special interest doesn't limit who we are. Just an idea.
    Good thought.
    OR... perhaps the inset I suggested should be thedarktower.org's 20 greatest suspense stories. That would allow better representation of Poe and Lovecraft, and we'd get to show how we rank the best SK shorts among them alongside ranking his best novels in context of world literature.
    OR, perhaps we should just be happy that....

A) the guy who came up with this idea followed through on it with limited "official help".
    B) also, is responsible for the tabulating and correlation of the info obtained.
    C) That said "publisher" has even agreed to make the list a "public Internet record"

And then just be thankful that our collective opinion will be shared for the sake of "Internet/Publishing Posterity"??????

What do you think, folks? JMHO

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What I think is there is a fatal lack of understanding between you two, which leads to all sorts of misinterpretations. I suggest you just ignoring each other, at least before you realize that neither of you is a manipulative asshole. Now neither can say anything without it leading to the other's burdening it with tons of far-fetched implications and interpreting them in the worst possible way, which eventually leads to flaming (as above), that looks entirely uncalled-for to an innocent bystander.

I like all suggestions, and am always open to them, but I am away now, with limited access to computer; back on Wednesday.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

pathoftheturtle and Merlin1958-knock this feuding off. You are derailing the thread.
    One and only warning.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Thankee, boss!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    pathoftheturtle and Merlin1958-knock this feuding off. You are derailing the thread.
    One and only warning.
    My apologies to all concerned. For my part, I am done with the whole thing and have moved onward and hopefully, upward.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

only three days left before the voting starts!!!

Please have a look here, it's important and urgent:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...032#post804032

Country
    Country Flag

The voting rounds have started in Dutch Hill.

DON'T MISS THEM!!!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I just voted.

Country
    Country Flag

Good. You can wear this pin till the next round starts.

Country
    Country Flag

:!: Attention Please

the current polls in DH will be closed in 36 hours from now

if someone hasn't voted yet, please do!

Country
    Country Flag

New polls up in Dutch Hill

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Voted!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

While there are some unfortunate, IMHO, groupings these polls are proving to be very exciting and entertaining. Turn out is encouraging as well, but we ultimately need everyone's opinion!!!

Please VOTE!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Round 1-2 polls closed

Round 1-3 polls up

Country
    Country Flag

one more vote is needed here

Country
    Country Flag

round 1 polls closed, round 2 polls up

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

thanks, Carole
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Country
    Country Flag

The bottom half of the List has been completed!

Don't miss the voting on the top half!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The bottom half of the List has been completed!

Don't miss the voting on the top half!
    At this point, I would suggest getting a preliminary list over to, Brian So he can do what he does.

(Brian James Freeman)
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Do! You know best!

Country
    Country Flag

The last polls of the final are posted. It's especially interesting to note that in these last rounds only dystopian novels compete.

The Superfinal is in a couple of days. The winner of the final will meet To Kill a Mockingbird, the book that got most secondings.

PLEASE VOTE

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Dear friends,

the superfinal needs more votes

less people have voted there than in all other polls of the Top 100 contest, and this poll is the most important.

please vote

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast