Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok so we know Roland's world has moved on....

Gunslinger Apprentice Allie is on a distinguished road Allie's Avatar

Default Ok so we know Roland's world has moved on....

When did it start to move on? How did they now it was moving on?

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Good questions. I am sure it didn't start to move one day to the other... and I am sure it had been moving on for a long while when they could notice it.

Roland would have understood.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

:radioactive:

I am thinking there were small seemingly unimportant changes,
    something subtle. Like lately my husband has said that on perfectly clear
    mornings here before the sun rise that there is a significant amount of
    water dripping from the trees in our yard as if it were raining ( he says he can hear it falling) my point is not everyone notices something but, little by little
    the changes are piling up. Time ( a concept I do NOT believe in) distance
    things of this nature began to stretch, or bend somehow, and the next ting you know BAM! the world has moved on.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wouldn't it have been as soon as the first beam was damaged enough to be broken? Or had the world been moving on for longer than that?
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ZoNeSeeK View Post
    Wouldn't it have been as soon as the first beam was damaged enough to be broken? Or had the world been moving on for longer than that?
    Yes, I think it had.
    The beam didn't break because everything was already, it broke because the world was moving on.

Gunslinger Apprentice Allie is on a distinguished road Allie's Avatar

Interesting. I have just been thinking about this quite a bit whilst re reading. Could it be that something the old ones did triggered the moving on? From what I have read it seems that they did a lot of damage, like causing mutants.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Given my views that...

Spoiler:
    Roland's loop is never-ending

I think the world[s] start to "move on" each time the cycle starts over again. It's a constant mythological cycle of creation/destruction. Once it gets back to the starting point it starts moving on until the destruction/rebuilding completes. It's like saying we start dying as soon as we are born. It's not a particularly pleasant way of looking at it, but it's no less true because of it. With each second our individual worlds "move on" just a bit, not just when something major happens to us.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by alinda View Post
    Time ( a concept I do NOT believe in)
    patient: Could someone please help me. I'm hurting. I've been waiting for seven hours here.
    linda: time does not exist
    *patient jumps out window*
    *ambulance drives around and brings patient back around to the er with concussion and several broken bones*
    patient: This is unbearable. Will it ever end?
    linda: time does not exist.
    patient: Is anyone gonna get around to helping me?
    linda: It is time for my lunch break.
    patient: Wait, I thought you said time does not exist. When will you be back?
    linda: time does not exist.

I always got the impression that the "old ones" tinkering with technology led in part to the world moving on. Kinda' like they disturbed the natural order of things.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I always got the impression that the "old ones" tinkering with technology led in part to the world moving on. Kinda' like they disturbed the natural order of things.
    I believe they sped it up by replacing the magic with technology, but the magic was receding, so things were still "moving on." The Old Ones just made it happen a lot faster.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

R of G. Whats the difference between Roland's world and New York? New York is described as a world that hasn't moved on several times, most notably when Roland first encounters it along the beach in DT 2. Is it somehow at the beginning of the cycle you described and if so, how?

Country
    Country Flag

You know what?
    I think the world is always moving on.
    All the time.
    That's how everything works.
    But sometimes it's moving to the bad way... sometimes it seems to stop but it's still moving and sometimes it's moving to a nice direction.

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    R of G. Whats the difference between Roland's world and New York? New York is described as a world that hasn't moved on several times, most notably when Roland first encounters it along the beach in DT 2. Is it somehow at the beginning of the cycle you described and if so, how?
    My thoughts are that it is moving on, perhaps much less rapidly than Roland's is so he may not recognize it as such. In my view of it, all worlds are always moving on, though not at the same pace. I'm not sure I want to take a further guess as to how the metaphysics work because that's all it would be.

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    You know what?
    I think the world is always moving on.
    All the time.
    That's how everything works.
    But sometimes it's moving to the bad way... sometimes it seems to stop but it's still moving and sometimes it's moving to a nice direction.
    I've always had the philosophy that our lives are never static. That we are always moving in one direction or the other. My way of putting it is that I'm either moving forward, or backward. Sometimes I'm moving forward in some ways, and backward in others, and sometimes it's all full on reverse. There are rare times when EVERYTHING is moving forward. Do you suppose that King's concept of "the world moving on" is a metaphore for our own lives?

Country
    Country Flag

And if you take that out one step further and ponder the whole aspect of size, and hundreds of worlds all moving in different directions inside the tip of a pencil the way it's described in Roland's palaver with Walter, maybe even more so?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am not sure it works that way. It seems that now we are looking at the phrase as a separate entity, outside the context. In this case there's nothing wrong about "moving on", and everything is surely moving on, and it becomes a mere synonym for "developing", while in the book it isn't. "Moving on" is always used as something ominous, loss of ability to coordinate and relate things, obliteration of consistency and relations, breach of ties and connections; "moving on", as I see it, is, within the context, always moving on towards chaos - the Random, - away from order - the Purpose.

(all of the above makes sense only if my memory serves me well, though)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think your memory is intact Jean because what you said made sense to me.

Country
    Country Flag

It makes sense to me as well, but the same is true of all life. We're all "moving on" in the sense that we begin to die the moment we are born. The second start to tick away at that very moment. No matter anyway, it was just a random thought that I basically blurted out

Quote Originally Posted by TerribleT View Post
    We're all "moving on" in the sense that we begin to die the moment we are born. The second start to tick away at that very moment.
    Precisely T. I said more or less the same earlier in the thread. Nothing is static. It's always in motion.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    We're all "moving on" in the sense that we begin to die the moment we are born. The second start to tick away at that very moment.
    Precisely T. I said more or less the same earlier in the thread. Nothing is static. It's always in motion.
    Dude, you and I agree on a LOT, and most of the places where we disagree, whether it be in Roland's world or our own, are mostly a matter of degrees, not concept. I did notice that you'd said the same earlier, and it's something I've always believed too.

Jean does it help if we toss in chaos theory? The idea that all complex systems are moving towards their collapse?

Dude, you and I agree on a LOT, and most of the places where we disagree, whether it be in Roland's world or our own, are mostly a matter of degrees, not concept.
    I'd say that's true from our recent conversations. Our disagreements are in perception not concept.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Terrible: I think ageing, death, collapse, even degeneration may be all natural and part of the Purpose if they happen in accordance with laws, whether we are aware of these laws or not. It's when "things fall apart, the center doesn't hold" that the world starts really moving on; it might be birth of something twisted, or un-death, or ageing backwards, but it must be deterioration of consistence - which natural, law-abiding moving towards collapse, in my opinion, is not.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I am not sure it works that way. It seems that now we are looking at the phrase as a separate entity, outside the context. In this case there's nothing wrong about "moving on", and everything is surely moving on, and it becomes a mere synonym for "developing", while in the book it isn't. "Moving on" is always used as something ominous, loss of ability to coordinate and relate things, obliteration of consistency and relations, breach of ties and connections; "moving on", as I see it, is, within the context, always moving on towards chaos - the Random, - away from order - the Purpose.

(all of the above makes sense only if my memory serves me well, though)
    Yesyes.
    That's what I am thinking right now. I might change my mind I don't really know it yet.
    Our world is moving all all the time to chaos (so is Roland's) that's why we humans always have to fight and give up and can't have a heaven-like life.

It doesn't make sense now. I will try to write about it more after work.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Our world is moving all all the time to chaos (so is Roland's) that's why we humans always have to fight and give up and can't have a heaven-like life.
    Wow, I hope you're wrong about that dear.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Wow, I hope you're wrong about that dear.
    About what?

It doesn't make sense now. I will try to write about it more after work.
    It makes more sense than you think it does. At least I think I understand what you are trying to say.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast