Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 100 Novels of All Time - General Discussion

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I second To Kill a Mockingbird and 1984...

and nominate Psycho by Robert Bloch.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Seconding Psycho and nominating American Psycho

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post

Second Huckleberry Finn, The Dark Tower, The Stranger..

Thank you... The Stranger needs more love

And I second Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles, 1984, 451, Frankenstein, Candide, Dracula, The Exorcist, Ghost Story, The Scarlet Letter, Hitchhikers Guide, Haunting of Hill House, Lord of the Flies, Psycho

I would nominate Poe but his stories don't fall under the Novel category
    So I nominate The Stand - SK
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I hereby nominate Geek Love by Katherine Dunn. An amazing tale of a family of circus freaks. The mother in the family intentionally injects drugs into her womb during pregnancy to continue the family tradition freaks. A finalist for the national book award! Read it and you will never forget Artie, the fish boy, who generates a legion of cult followers who cut off their own hands and feet in effigy, and Chick who powers I'd rather not go into. If you have not read this you are missing a triply-treat!
    Other genre faves:
    Carrion Comfort - Dan Simmons
    Hyperion (1&2) - Dan Simmons
    Clive Barker - Imajica
    The Silence of the Lambs - Thomas Harris
    The Exorcist - William Peter Blatty
    Good Omens or American Gods - Neil Gaiman (the first with Terry Pratchet)
    The Stand, IT, Salem's Lot, and The Shining - by King favorites

I may post some fore literate titles later - the genre stuff is always at the forefront of my mind.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

bears second

David Copperfield
    The Count of Monte Cristo
    It
    The Stand

and nominate

The Terror, by Dan Simmons

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Dickens and King are unusually difficult authors to pick a best novel from. This raises all the thorny questions of best vs. top vs. greatest vs. favorite, and so on. Do you trust what you feel or try to make more objective recommendations? Really, TDT is not as self-contained as It or The Stand. It's funny to think of it, but those are relatively short books. And great, of course. Deep. I hope it won't take up too much attention here -- we already have a cool regular contest on that subject. Probably David Copperfield also is not Dickens' greatest. But I just so much wanted to nominate it here. *shrug*
    Very true, all of the above

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Rose View Post
    Sorry, I got lost..I was going to add Catcher in the Rye...I'm for all but...Master&Margarita, Castle and the Rabbit Series...haven't heard of them...How about King's Row...
    sorry love, didn't quite get it - are you seconding Catcher?

Country
    Country Flag

UPDATES:

To Kill a Mockingbird + 9
    Lolita + 4
    The Master and Margarita + 0
    The Castle + 1
    1984 +6
    Fahrenheit 451 +5
    Rabbit Series + 0
    Of Mice and Men + 3
    The Catcher in the Rye + 3
    Frankenstein + 2
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn + 3
    Lord of the Rings +2
    Candide +2
    The Thief of Always +
    The Dark Tower +7
    Dracula +4
    The Exorcist +3
    Ghost Story +2
    The Scarlet Letter +3
    The Stranger +1
    The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy +2
    The Haunting of Hill House +3
    Lord Of The Flies +6
    I Am Legend +1
    Journey to the Center of the Earth +
    Wuthering Heights +2
    Interview With The Vampire +2
    One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest +2
    Jane Eyre +2
    David Copperfield +2
    The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress +0
    The Count of Monte Cristo +1
    It +1
    Psycho +2
    American Psycho +0
    The Stand +1
    Geek Love +0
    The Terror +0

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    I hereby nominate Geek Love by Katherine Dunn. An amazing tale of a family of circus freaks. The mother in the family intentionally injects drugs into her womb during pregnancy to continue the family tradition freaks. A finalist for the national book award! Read it and you will never forget Artie, the fish boy, who generates a legion of cult followers who cut off their own hands and feet in effigy, and Chick who powers I'd rather not go into. If you have not read this you are missing a triply-treat!
    Other genre faves:
    Clive Barker - Imajica

I may post some fore literate titles later - the genre stuff is always at the forefront of my mind.
    I counted your nomination in, but I can't quite see what you are seconding. Can I count The Exorcist, The Stand and It as seconded?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

If I am reading this right, If I second these two...

David Copperfield+

(Which I do) then everything nominated so far has been seconded at least once with the exception of

Jane Eyre +
    Wuthering Heights +

correct? Sorry I cannot second those two did not care for either one.

Now are the "+" numbers going to eventually count for something? Or can we just be happy that a nominated book was seconded and leave it at that for now?

Edit: Missed this one, but I have already explained myself.

The Thief of Always +
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Other genre faves:
    Clive Barker - Imajica

I counted your nomination in, but I can't quite see what you are seconding. Can I count The Exorcist, The Stand and It as seconded?
    Well, now I see why you guys set up rules!!! LOL LOL I will, from here on in promise to stick as closely to them as I can. Please feel free to bitch slap me if I should stray!!! LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    ... the rules be damned to a degree IMHO ...

Spoiler:
    Plus, I am old and feeble and I was a "Director" for two whole days!!! LOL

Also, I don't run the show's, I just hype them!!! LOL LOL
    Looks like you convinced Jean.
    Well, no, but I just got as carried away as Bill did, so I counted all of his nominations in, and then it was too late to go back...

Please guys, follow the rules, ok?

David Copperfield+

(Which I do) then everything nominated so far has been seconded at least once with the exception of

Jane Eyre +
    Wuthering Heights +

Now are the "+" numbers going to eventually count for something? Or can we just be happy that a nominated book was seconded and leave it at that for now?
    You looked at the post before I edited it (when I post something as important as this, I post it before it is ready, and then continue editing. I am using my laptop, and the touchpad threatens to delete all my calculations if I make the wrong move).

When we've finished the nominations, we'll look at the + numbers. That is why the seconding is, as I said before, so important: seconding, you already assign a book a place on the top 100 list. Since there's going to be many books with similar figures (I can't now predict how many), there will be a few voting rounds, but the grouping will depend on these numbers.

So please, friends, have a look at the updated list (my post #57) and think what you've forgotten to second.

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Voting for Journey To the Center Of the Earth and The Count Of Monte Cristo.
    If you are going through hell - keep going

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

... the rules be damned to a degree IMHO ...

Spoiler:
    Plus, I am old and feeble and I was a "Director" for two whole days!!! LOL

Also, I don't run the show's, I just hype them!!! LOL LOL
    Looks like you convinced Jean.
    Well, no, but I just got as carried away as Bill did, so I counted all of his nominations in, and then it was too late to go back...

Please guys, follow the rules, ok?

David Copperfield+

Jane Eyre +
    Wuthering Heights +

You looked at the post before I edited it (when I post something as important as this, I post it before it is ready, and then continue editing. I am using my laptop, and the touchpad threatens to delete all my calculations if I make the wrong move).

When we've finished the nominations, we'll look at the + numbers. That is why the seconding is, as I said before, so important: seconding, you already assign a book a place on the top 100 list. Since there's going to be many books with similar figures (I can't now predict how many), there will be a few voting rounds, but the grouping will depend on these numbers.

So please, friends, have a look at the updated list (my post #57) and think what you've forgotten to second.
    I'm with ya, Jean. You now have my solemn pledge to henceforth behave!!! This must be a nightmare to control/update from what I can see. Hence the need to follow the rules closely. Maybe we should utilize a "cut & Paste of the updated list and use "Bold" to highlight new nominations and seconds?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

So, I believe I am eligible to nominate another book so....

Lolita + 4
    The Castle + 1
    1984 +6
    Fahrenheit 451 +5
    Rabbit Series + 0
    Of Mice and Men + 3 +1
    The Catcher in the Rye + 3 +1
    Frankenstein + 2
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn + 3 +1
    Lord of the Rings +2
    Candide +2
    The Thief of Always +
    The Dark Tower +7
    Dracula +4
    The Exorcist +3
    Ghost Story +2
    The Scarlet Letter +3
    The Stranger +1
    The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy +2
    Lord Of The Flies +6 +1
    I Am Legend +1
    Wuthering Heights +2
    One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest +2 +1
    Jane Eyre +2
    David Copperfield +2
    It +1 +1
    Psycho +2
    American Psycho +0
    The Stand +1 +1
    Geek Love +0
    The Terror +0
    Battlefield Earth +0

Does that work better for ya or no?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

I will try to find some ways of enhancing the presentation of list when it gets out of control (pretty soon, I presume). I am thinking of table form, only got to figure out how to do it here.

EDITED: WOW!!! What you've done is GREAT!!!!!!!!! Wish everyone else would do the same!! Yeah right, highlight your secondings so I know what is going on.

ETA: Unfortunately, it will only work if everyone, without any exceptions, follows this format.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

If it works better for ya then add it to the rules. I edited my last post to include "seconds".
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I like Bill's suggestion, but: people posting (almost) simultaneously will create multiple branches of the list (happened many times on another board, even with much shorter lists and fewer participants).

In the meantime, I'll use the existing format to nominate The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle (was sorely tempted to nominate something involving Sherlock Holmes, but I know those a just stories).

Country
    Country Flag

glitch

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I second.....

The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So, I believe I am eligible to nominate another book so....

Lolita + 4
    The Castle + 1
    1984 +6
    Fahrenheit 451 +5
    Rabbit Series + 0
    Of Mice and Men + 3 +1
    The Catcher in the Rye + 3 +1
    Frankenstein + 2
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn + 3 +1
    Lord of the Rings +2 +1
    Candide +2
    The Thief of Always +
    The Dark Tower +7
    Dracula +4
    The Exorcist +3
    Ghost Story +2 +1
    The Scarlet Letter +3
    The Stranger +1
    The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy +2 +1 +1
    Lord Of The Flies +6 +1 +1
    I Am Legend +1
    Wuthering Heights +2
    One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest +2 +1
    Jane Eyre +2
    David Copperfield +2
    It +1 +1
    Psycho +2
    American Psycho +0
    The Stand +1 +1 +1
    Geek Love +0
    The Terror +0
    Battlefield Earth +0

Does that work better for ya or no?
    I added mine in RED - not sure how that would screw it up - and I would second Good Omens - saw it mentioned above - but not on list yet

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

and nominate

The Terror, by Dan Simmons
    Yes This was going to be my next nomination. I'll second it.

And I'll nominate Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

2nd It.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Add one to IT and Terror and nominate Catch-22

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Second "Catch 22"
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Andromeda Strain nominated.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast