Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 100 Novels of All Time - General Discussion

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I nominate The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien
    Where's the love????????
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mattgreenbean View Post
    I nominate The Thief of Always: Clive Barker. Not his absolute best, but his most accessible while still being pure Barker.
    I second that.

Edit: You know what? In light of "Mattrick's" later post strike that second. If Clive Barker should crack a top 100 list it would not be the thief of always. My bad folks!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Thief of Always is great but can't second it for 100 greatest of all time.

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne is my next nomination.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

I second LOTR. I nominate The Stranger by Albert Camus.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Thief of Always is great but can't second it for 100 greatest of all time.

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne is my next nomination.
    Very good point, Matts. I amended my post accordingly. Apologies to Mr. Greenbean.

I nominate "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams (Entire series)
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

The Haunting of Hill House Shirley Jackson

Second Huckleberry Finn, The Dark Tower, The Stranger.

Bill, you cheated. Dracula goes to Dan; you could nom. The Exorcist once someone goes after me, then after two more, Ghost Story. I'd love to do a big batch at once, but look at the rules in the original post.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    The Haunting of Hill House Shirley Jackson

Second Huckleberry Finn, The Dark Tower, The Stranger.

Bill, you cheated. Dracula goes to Dan; you could nom. The Exorcist once someone goes after me, then after two more, Ghost Story. I'd love to do a big batch at once, but look at the rules in the original post.

How did I cheat? My post was at 2:49 and Dan's at 2:50. Regardless, as long as Dracula makes the list that is all that is important.

I'll second, The Haunting of Hill House Shirley Jackson

Edit: OK I see what you mean Mike. However, the rules be damned to a degree IMHO I was caught up in the excitement and that should be a concern for this thread in order to maintain relevance and popularity, no?

Spoiler:
    Plus, I am old and feeble and I was a "Director" for two whole days!!! LOL

Also, I don't run the show's, I just hype them!!! LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I second To Kill A Mocking Bird and The Dark Tower.

And I nominate Lord Of The Flies.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Stebbins View Post
    I second To Kill A Mocking Bird and The Dark Tower.

And I nominate Lord Of The Flies.
    Seconded!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There MUST be a Richard Matheson novel included since he was one of the greatest writers. I nominate I Am Legend, being his greatest and most well know novel. Although some of his short stories are just a good, if not better.

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My votes for To Kill a Mockinbird, Frankenstein, Dracula, and The Scarlet Letter.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

First I want to +1 all of the following:
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Lolita
    Farenheit 541
    Of Mice and Men
    Frankenstein
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
    Lord of the Rings
    The Dark Tower
    Dracula
    A Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
    Lord of the Flies
    I am Legend.

Then I would like to nominate Journey to the Center of the Earth.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Demon of the Prim Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry, I got lost..I was going to add Catcher in the Rye...I'm for all but...Master&Margarita, Castle and the Rabbit Series...haven't heard of them...How about King's Row...
    Never try to teach a pig to sing...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

How long do we have? Many of these books are sitting on my shelf and I haven't read them....and I just got eight more books....it's a terrible problem. I'd like to read a few more before all is said an done.

There are so many I could nominate....I'll have to nominate a Dostoevsky but I think I'll wait for Bears to possibly choose one and maybe Jane Eyre so I don't have to.

I nominate: Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Not quite sure of what we're up to, but I second/third/quadrillionth the following three "titles" ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    1984, George Orwell
    The Dark Tower series, by Stephen King
    ... and nominate Anne Rice's Interview With The Vampire.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

second Interview. Nominate One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest.
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I guess this list will be devoid of Poe. Shame
    Sloth Love Chunk

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

bears second:

The Dark Tower
    Candide
    The Exorcist
    The Haunting of Hill House

and nominate:

Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte (thank you Mattrick, I really really wanted to nominate it myself!)

Mattrick: nominate as many as you want, only keep it in your mind that there must be at least two someone else's nominations between yours.

Answering the important question: the nominations will go on till at least mid-August.

And guys, please, don't forget to second!!! It' absolutely crucial!!!!!

to make it easier, I'll post the updates tonight. Will try to do so at least twice a day in the future.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

... the rules be damned to a degree IMHO ...

Spoiler:
    Plus, I am old and feeble and I was a "Director" for two whole days!!! LOL

Also, I don't run the show's, I just hype them!!! LOL LOL
    Looks like you convinced Jean. Everybody start making up reasons why you, too, should be granted license to go over.
    ... I was caught up in the excitement ...
    Seriously, though, I'm sorry: maybe "cheated" was not the right word. I was thinking about seconding one of your later noms when I realized that you broke the rules. It's easy to see how that could happen, and I never thought there was bad intent. Plus, you've got pretty good taste in literature.

David Copperfield Charles Dickens

Second Lord of the Flies and Cuckoo's Nest.

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Votes for
    The Dark Tower,
    The Scarlett Letter,
    Lord Of The Flies,
    Catcher In The Rye,
    Huckleberry Finn,
    One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest,
    Wuthering Heights,
    Jane Eyre.

Nominating The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein.
    Last edited by RainInSpain; 07-18-2013 at 04:33 AM. Reason: Readability
    If you are going through hell - keep going

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh, I forgot to cast my vote for Fahrenheit 451.
    If you are going through hell - keep going

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

2nd David Copperfield. I was going to do this one also. This shows the best of Dickens.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Seconding Catcher in the Rye. Sorry, can't second The Dark Tower. If King's gonna make it, it has to be something else, DT is too niche. Wasn't a huge fan of the two big ones, The Stand and It. I'd go with The Green Mile or Pet Sematary. Hard to say.

Nominating The Count of Monte Cristo.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Dickens and King are unusually difficult authors to pick a best novel from. This raises all the thorny questions of best vs. top vs. greatest vs. favorite, and so on. Do you trust what you feel or try to make more objective recommendations? Really, TDT is not as self-contained as It or The Stand. It's funny to think of it, but those are relatively short books. And great, of course. Deep. I hope it won't take up too much attention here -- we already have a cool regular contest on that subject. Probably David Copperfield also is not Dickens' greatest. But I just so much wanted to nominate it here. *shrug*

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'll add a point to Jane Eyre, Lord of the Flies, and Wuthering Heights.

And my first nomination will of course be IT by Stephen King.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast