Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Knowing Darkness w/ Whelan drawing

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I can see the resemblances in both pictures.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Traveler MTNV is on a distinguished road

Hey folks! Long days and pleasant nights.

I came across this forum today looking for hints about pricing for a signed traycase edition of Knowing Darkness. A family friend just inherited a small but respectable collection of horror memorabilia (one of their relatives was a collector and passed away recently) and enlisted me to help them sell some of the more valuable items. They also gifted me a few items as a thank you, among them a few loose Stephen king posters folded in half and a very cool pencil sketch that was bundled with them. (I think you can see where I'm going with this...) The sketch really stood out to me. I assumed it was just a print, but I couldn't find it for sale anywhere. Regardless, I had it framed.

After reading through this thread, I now suspect that their Knowing Darkness edition might have been one of the ones that came with a Whelan remarque. I compared it to the other images posted in this thread, but I'd love a second opinion.

Here's the sketch in question (Not sure if I'm embedding the image properly so I'll include the link as well link):

https://flic.kr/p/2mEMpby

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MTNV View Post

I came across this forum today looking for hints about pricing for a signed traycase edition of Knowing Darkness. A family friend just inherited a small but respectable collection of horror memorabilia (one of their relatives was a collector and passed away recently) and enlisted me to help them sell some of the more valuable items. They also gifted me a few items as a thank you, among them a few loose Stephen king posters folded in half and a very cool pencil sketch that was bundled with them. (I think you can see where I'm going with this...) The sketch really stood out to me. I assumed it was just a print, but I couldn't find it for sale anywhere. Regardless, I had it framed.

After reading through this thread, I now suspect that their Knowing Darkness edition might have been one of the ones that came with a Whelan remarque. I compared it to the other images posted in this thread, but I'd love a second opinion.

Here's the sketch in question (Not sure if I'm embedding the image properly so I'll include the link as well link):

Oh wow - looks definitely like one of the Knowing Darkness remarques - totally awesome! And because of the interest by many, and obviously a dark Tower (Roland) drawing, quite valuable. Love this piece. Congratulations!!

sk

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Knowing Darkness w/ Whelan drawing

Dude.
    That’s a beauty. I’ll give you $3500 for it. I love this. Kris@mmphalifax.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

wow. That is an awesome drawing. Congrats
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Definitely an original whelan sketch! These are extremely hard to come by. If you sell it - don’t split it from the book. The guy I bought my knowing darkness from did that to me and it still sucks to this day that I don’t have the sketch that was supposed to be with the book.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post

Definitely an original whelan sketch! These are extremely hard to come by. If you sell it - don’t split it from the book. The guy I bought my knowing darkness from did that to me and it still sucks to this day that I don’t have the sketch that was supposed to be with the book.
    I don’t think there is any Correlation to the book. Is there Nick? I may just be unaware

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

I don’t think there is any Correlation to the book. Is there Nick? I may just be unaware

There isn’t but when I bought my copy the seller said it had an original whelan with it but he had sold it. Just annoys me when I see them get split up.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Why blame the seller (unless he mislead you). With patience and more money you could have had both.

Very few of the deluxe Knowing Darkness books came with an original Whelan sketch. No particular book, or number was wedded to a Whelan sketch. They simply cost more with a Whelan piece laid in.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If I remember correctly, there was no correlation between the signed Knowing Darkness and the Michael Whelan remarque. It was possible to order just the book, but also came with the option to purchase it with a remarque - two options.

sk

Country
    Country Flag

Me and Max have worked out a deal. It has sold

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Traveler MTNV is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Me and Max have worked out a deal. It has sold

Kris says true, I say thankya.

Couldn't hold on to it in good conscience since the gift givers didn't know what they were giving, and I certainly couldn't afford to buy it from them outright! I'm happy that it will be in good hands. But I sure am going to miss it...

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Been terribly recalcitrant.

Obtained this last year thanks to Kris:

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

As always, I'm looking to acquire Whelan Knowing Darkness drawings.

I strive to have the definitive collection of the drawings. Perhaps at some point to do a museum showing (with MW's blessing).

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Monthly bump.
    Still searching.

Demon of the Prim east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice

Country
    Country Flag

Was it ever determined how many were done?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Been terribly recalcitrant.

Obtained this last year thanks to Kris:

MAN I LOVE THIS... I just knew you had to have it... you have the biggest Knowing collection in the world... did not feel right to be in mine brother
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by east-tennessee View Post
    No. Best guess is 18-25.

Country
    Country Flag

No. Best guess is 18-25.
    I agree. I would say there is NO more than 25 at a stretch.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Demon of the Prim east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice

Country
    Country Flag

No. Best guess is 18-25.
    How many do you have now?

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

An update will be coming soon...

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Not selling mine but I'm curious about how much do these go for these days.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    Not selling mine but I'm curious about how much do these go for these days.
    Prices vary quite a bit depending on the image, and the degree of effort Whelan put into the image. For example, Whelan did two pieces for George Beahm. Both of those pieces were acrylic and charcoal/pencil. They are quite a bit more colorful and intricate than any of the other pieces I have ever seen. There are also several pieces that seem to be only black pencil on art paper. Much less intricate and involved, those pieces command far less.
    Since most prices are kept confidential, I can't really say what I have paid for mine, but I CAN say that over the last 15 years sale prices have gradually risen.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

No. Best guess is 18-25.
    I hope to have a whopper of an update in a week. Things have rapidly come together in the last few weeks. Don't want to jinx anything, so I have to wait a bit.

Country
    Country Flag

No. Best guess is 18-25.
    I hope to have a whopper of an update in a week. Things have rapidly come together in the last few weeks. Don't want to jinx anything, so I have to wait a bit.
    Thats great! Can't wait to see what you have coming...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast