Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Dolso Finely crafted cases thread

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

One of my new favourite threads!

Just awesome work Dolso.

I like the case for the Science and Fantasy magazines.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jimimck View Post
    One of my new favourite threads!

Just awesome work Dolso.

I like the case for the Science and Fantasy magazines.
    Yeah, I know what you mean!! If I could, I would buy a "Dolso" case for virtually every book I own. Alas, space prevents this option. He does wonderful things and its hard to deny a purchase!!! Such craftsmanship and ingenuity!!!

Spoiler:
    BTW, I am pretty sure I have a new one coming for my Birthday, thanks to my loving daughter named after the car, Kristine!!! (We're "German, hence the "K")!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Citizen of Gilead Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A customer didn't want to post these himself but I asked & he said sure go ahead ---

This was sort of a work in progress - we tried to get a skull medallion for the lid of the Lettered Skeleton Crew. The scull is engraved from a 1/8 inch piece of pine and then stained 'bone white', then engraved again for some shading. Since it's the lettered edition (issued with a soft leather zippered case) there is a 1/4 inch support on the bottom to prevent the leather from folding....

The PreliminaryTray Case

This is the design we ended up going with...

All I had is a Numbered edition to snap pics of the interior...

This was a fun little case to work on .....the pamphlet is barely 1/8 inch wide & the case itself is less than 1/2 inch (closer probably to 1/4 inch).

www.bookslipcase.com

Selling my collection of books and some cases

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

More great pieces!

That Skeleton Crew piece is especially awesome.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very nice looking!

Citizen of Gilead Rachel Readman is a jewel in the rough Rachel Readman is a jewel in the rough Rachel Readman is a jewel in the rough Rachel Readman is a jewel in the rough Rachel Readman's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Something I have been meaning to post up here for a little while, my Carrie Artist case courtesy of Mr. Olson (Thanks again Dick, you do some fine work and it will be a treasured part of my collection!!):

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

Dolso, love the work! Especially that Skeleton Crew, very nice!

Rearrange Me Til I'm Sane Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

One of several recent additions to my little collection of Dolso cases

The Drawing of the Three (contains a Phil Hale remarqued 2nd edition - 1 of 4 produced).

Dick's attention to details, as always, shines through !!!

We all float down here!

Citizen of Gilead barlow will become famous soon enough barlow's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Those close up photos of the details, really show how amazing that case is, congrats on getting it Grant! And Dick...WOW!

Ken

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

He's really quite out done himself on that piece!!!

Spoiler:
    Though have should have "distressed" it more!!! LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Rearrange Me Til I'm Sane Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Another fantastic Dolso creation (with Rachel Readman cover etch and insert art) - Carrie, Letter C (housing my US 1st/1st edition).

We all float down here!

Country
    Country Flag

Another two fine examples of Dolso's work (one with a great art piece by Rachel Readman etched into the cover) to house my US and UK 1st/1st trade editions

We all float down here!

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

It looks like "The Stand" on the fronts is recessed and stained, "The Stand" on the hinge ends is basically a sticker, and the art is printed on.

Is that accurate?
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    It looks like "The Stand" on the fronts is recessed and stained, "The Stand" on the hinge ends is basically a sticker, and the art is printed on.

Is that accurate?
    Yes (recessed and stained) Yes (engraved aluminium plate) No (Rachel's art is etched/engraved into the case - not sure of the exact process, although I'm sure Dick could provide more precise detail)
    We all float down here!

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks.

I was fairly certain of the first two. The art is harder to tell. I see it better in the angle photo now that I look again.

It's a laser engraving I think.

Very cool.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Citizen of Gilead Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

Spoiler:
    Yea, I did take your suggestion, Bill - to distress it to make it look older. But after spending the time and effort to make it look presentable I had a REALLY hard time knowing when to quit when I started beating it with a chain, throwing screwdrivers at it and dropping it in gravel. Probably stopped too soon - it might look like I just didn't sand it enough now.....

As long as you're good with it, Grant!! I think I need to get you to snap pics of all my cases -- you do a much better job than I do! It's just all that shipping to Australia that tends to put a damper on it!

By the way, Did I say Happy Birthday to Bill yet?
    www.bookslipcase.com

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Penny View Post

Is that accurate?
    Yes (recessed and stained) Yes (engraved aluminium plate) No (Rachel's art is etched/engraved into the case - not sure of the exact process, although I'm sure Dick could provide more precise detail)
    Yep, Both the title on the front and Rachel's artwork are engraved with a laser (which recesses it) and then colored - then sealed with several coats of Gloss Polyurethane. I have done some of these that have painted titles or art but most of the time a brown or black coloring is used. Post number 41 in this thread is an example of a painted one...

The tag on the spine can be engraved plastic, aluminum or steel.

Rachel has given me permission to use this art for several cases so if anyone is interested, drop me a line.

By the way, did you know that it's Merlins birthday today?
    www.bookslipcase.com

Citizen of Gilead Rachel Readman is a jewel in the rough Rachel Readman is a jewel in the rough Rachel Readman is a jewel in the rough Rachel Readman is a jewel in the rough Rachel Readman's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure it must be Bill's Birthday today Dick

Good to see you catching up on your work. Did you get your truck fixed up OK?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dolso View Post

Is that accurate?
    Yep, Both the title on the front and Rachel's artwork are engraved with a laser (which recesses it) and then colored - then sealed with several coats of Gloss Polyurethane. I have done some of these that have painted titles or art but most of the time a brown or black coloring is used. Post number 41 in this thread is an example of a painted one...

The tag on the spine can be engraved plastic, aluminum or steel.

Rachel has given me permission to use this art for several cases so if anyone is interested, drop me a line.

By the way, did you know that it's Merlins birthday today?
    Today's my birthday????? LOL

Just thinking out loud, and not to belabor the "distressing" thing to much, did you knock it around before or after you stained it?? It might have been a little easier to gauge the look after it had been stained than before. At least it would seem so anyway.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

Spoiler:
    Yea, I did take your suggestion, Bill - to distress it to make it look older. But after spending the time and effort to make it look presentable I had a REALLY hard time knowing when to quit when I started beating it with a chain, throwing screwdrivers at it and dropping it in gravel. Probably stopped too soon - it might look like I just didn't sand it enough now.....

As long as you're good with it, Grant!! I think I need to get you to snap pics of all my cases -- you do a much better job than I do! It's just all that shipping to Australia that tends to put a damper on it!

By the way, Did I say Happy Birthday to Bill yet?
    Happy to assist Dick (although it's Connie that has the magic camera hands, not I ). Maybe you could ship all your cases down here, Connie can take the pix, then I can email the pix to you, and I can keep the cases upstairs all safe and snug?
    We all float down here!

Country
    Country Flag

Happy to assist Dick (although it's Connie that has the magic camera hands, not I ).
    Sooooo, you're saying that it's Connie that assists Dick................???
    www.bookslipcase.com

Country
    Country Flag

Happy to assist Dick (although it's Connie that has the magic camera hands, not I ).
    Freudian slip ????
    We all float down here!

Country
    Country Flag

The truck is sort of fixed, Rachel. The initial brake problem is taken care of but now it's the dad-gum 'check engine' light. It's been in the shop at least one day a week for the last 3 weeks!!

There is no stain on the DotT case, Bill. That's all natural coloring.

And Yes, - It's your birthday -- I think it's your fifth attempt at a 50th birthday!! (If you haven't heard happy birthday from me yet - just look around for a while..)

I just can't post here very much without a picture....

www.bookslipcase.com

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Are you being a silly sausage again

Country
    Country Flag

A silly sausage with Connie's set of Magic Hands!! WOW!!! Be still my beating heart.......
    www.bookslipcase.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast