Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Dolso Finely crafted cases thread

Citizen of Gilead Rachel Readman is a jewel in the rough Rachel Readman is a jewel in the rough Rachel Readman is a jewel in the rough Rachel Readman is a jewel in the rough Rachel Readman's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Selling EVERYTHING! Come and get it!

(Except my Gunslinger First Edition. That ain't going nowhere. It's the only one I'm keeping, can't let that go)

Citizen of Gilead Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolso View Post
    Why, Thanks for the compliments! I like the 'Zombie' font that you chose for the title engraving for your Stand - I might end up stealing your idea and using that on a future engraving! I'm in the process of working through the back-order list - your Carrie is one on the top! BTW- If I remember right, the wood on that case is Mahogany -- seems to have a nice 'swirled' grain pattern to it.

I've also pretty much agreed to try my 'hand' on another of the 'Knowing Darkness' display cases. I was doing that case when I had such a bad accident 4-5 years ago so I've turned down several orders for them. We'll see how this one goes but, since I'm such a weenie about it, I've made sure to give myself an out in case I need it. I still have some of the original plans I used back then (complete with blood drops and all!!)

I don't have any recent pics but this is of one of the originals....

I'll try to get a few more pics of newer cases uploaded and posted soon.
    They mount to the wall???? I LOVE IT! How much are they?
    Assuming I still have an arm left after I do this one, they will probably be $175 to $225 for the smaller and $275 to $325 for the larger. Price will depend on what specifics you request....
    www.bookslipcase.com

Selling my collection of books and some cases

Citizen of Gilead Rachel Readman is a jewel in the rough Rachel Readman is a jewel in the rough Rachel Readman is a jewel in the rough Rachel Readman is a jewel in the rough Rachel Readman's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Beautiful work, Dick.

Take care with those power tools!

(Except my Gunslinger First Edition. That ain't going nowhere. It's the only one I'm keeping, can't let that go)

Citizen of Gilead Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post
    Mr. Dolso--how far out are you on cases? I was thinking the IT crate case would be a great gift for myself for Christmas...

Thanks!

Incidentally, that Revival is AWESOME!!!
    Thanks! I hope Bill likes the Revival too!

At the moment, I'm booked though the middle/end of October and should be able to start a new case around that time frame (maybe earlier but....). A Sewer Grate "IT" would typically take around three weeks from start to finish - simpler cases would take less. Just drop me a line if you want more info - an email probably works better than a PM - I'm REALLY hit-n-miss when it comes to logging in here... Email addy is below.
    www.bookslipcase.com

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post
    Mr. Dolso--how far out are you on cases? I was thinking the IT crate case would be a great gift for myself for Christmas...

Thanks!

Incidentally, that Revival is AWESOME!!!
    Thanks! I hope Bill likes the Revival too!

At the moment, I'm booked though the middle/end of October and should be able to start a new case around that time frame (maybe earlier but....). A Sewer Grate "IT" would typically take around three weeks from start to finish - simpler cases would take less. Just drop me a line if you want more info - an email probably works better than a PM - I'm REALLY hit-n-miss when it comes to logging in here... Email addy is below.
    Will do. I'm in no hurry, just want it under my tree in December. Thanks!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Readman View Post
    Beautiful work, Dick.

HEY RACH!!! How are ya?? I thought Bill sent you to the corner for a time out .... But then, I'd guess he'd want to follow you there & I think he's still bed-ridden.

Power tools? Yea, I still jump back when I turn on the table saw!!

I haven't checked recently, but isn't your Crimson King coming along nicely & about ready to hit the streets?
    www.bookslipcase.com

Country
    Country Flag

Since I AM logged in, I'll post another of the more recent cases.

This isn't for a King book but turned out quite nice. I has a padded silver/gray cloth liner, gloss black finish with engraved and hand painted silver title. I had to put feet on the bottom to help hold it off the shelf.

For the Sandman set

I'm not exactly sure how many books are in the set but the owner sent the dimensions.
    www.bookslipcase.com

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I like it!

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey Dick, did you catch any of the thread when Peter Schneider dropped in? Apparently the original Stand S/L case was going to look something like this:
    (excuse my poor artist skills...)

Be nice to see this made real....
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Beautiful work, Dick.

HEY RACH!!! How are ya?? I thought Bill sent you to the corner for a time out .... But then, I'd guess he'd want to follow you there & I think he's still bed-ridden.

I haven't checked recently, but isn't your Crimson King coming along nicely & about ready to hit the streets?
    Good as gold, thank you! Bill knows he doesn't have that power over me, I just artistically hypnotise him and talk about next years Haven Fund and he soon forgets.

Clearly you're as busy as ever, which is good to hear. Everything OK generally?

Yes, the Crimson King sculpture is all going well at the moment (touch wood). Hopefully within 4 weeks I can begin taking orders. Mind you, just when I thought everything was in hand and under control, I tried to contact the flight case manufacturer and got a dead line on the phone number. I went to their web address and it had gone. I then find out that they went insolvent just last month and the administators are winding down the company and assets. I'm now working with another company to get them made, which should be no problem. Seems there is just one thing after another. The curse of the Crimson King. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Beautiful work, Dick.

Good as gold, thank you! Bill knows he doesn't have that power over me, I just artistically hypnotise him and talk about next years Haven Fund and he soon forgets.

Clearly you're as busy as ever, which is good to hear. Everything OK generally?

Yes, the Crimson King sculpture is all going well at the moment (touch wood). Hopefully within 4 weeks I can begin taking orders. Mind you, just when I thought everything was in hand and under control, I tried to contact the flight case manufacturer and got a dead line on the phone number. I went to their web address and it had gone. I then find out that they went insolvent just last month and the administators are winding down the company and assets. I'm now working with another company to get them made, which should be no problem. Seems there is just one thing after another. The curse of the Crimson King. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
    Story of my life, putty in the hands of a woman!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

We're the fairer sex for a reason

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ohh! Sorry to hear that Rachel! Glad that you're on track with another though!
    WANTED
    US 1st Printings. I have THESE
    #92 IT Portfolio (or the #95 IT to swap for the #92 that I have)
    Any #95 SK-related Cemetery Dance Edition
    Any #7 PS Publishing Edition
    Sleeping Beauties: Signed Tour version.

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes it's a pain in the backside but it will be sorted very soon. I sent a flightcase and sculpture off today to a company and they will have it tomorrow to start working on it. They have a 14 day lead time for the initial setup and then 4-7 days for orders thereafter. My Husband has had cases from them in the past for his guitars, effects pedalboards, amps etc and they are really good. I'm not panicking.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Hey Dick, did you catch any of the thread when Peter Schneider dropped in? Apparently the original Stand S/L case was going to look something like this:
    (excuse my poor artist skills...)

Be nice to see this made real....
    That looks cool! What's the blue in the lid? It looks like a slipcase with a curved and hinged lid - correct? Think we should give one a try? It might be fun to try something new. I can't imagine it's copyrighted but if it's someone elses' idea, it would only be considerate to get their ok before making one.

With the exception of the curved lid, it's similar to the cases for CD's Lettered 'Century's Best Horror'...

If I remember right, there were 30 of these made. 10 of them had one engraving, 10 another and the final 10 had a different engraving. All of the images were taken from the cover art.

Don't know about anyone else, but when I start thinking about a 'Coffin Case' I always think of this one.... (I didn't make this one although I've always wanted to....)

www.bookslipcase.com

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The blue thing is meant to represent a vial of the antidote for the super flu. It was the publishers original design for the "The Stand" coffin case. Simon just mocked that up for display purposes I believe.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...l=1#post942012
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

WOW! That thing just DOESN"T want to come to life, does it?? As long as you can overcome the problems though, I guess you're good to go. Good Luck!
    www.bookslipcase.com

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    The blue thing is meant to represent a vial of the antidote for the super flu. It was the publishers original design for the "The Stand" coffin case. Simon just mocked that up for display purposes I believe.

Like a glass vial? So would it work to have a solid wood lid with a hollowed out 'shelf' to hold the vial? Any idea how the vial would be attached so it doesn't just rattle around?
    www.bookslipcase.com

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

Like a glass vial? So would it work to have a solid wood lid with a hollowed out 'shelf' to hold the vial? Any idea how the vial would be attached so it doesn't just rattle around?
    secured elastic band?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Or an additional layer with a circular hole in it where the vial can stand up in. The layer would fit a few inches above the bottom.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Or an additional layer with a circular hole in it where the vial can stand up in. The layer would fit a few inches above the bottom.
    That and a snug fit.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Dick, Mr. Schnieder was discussing his original idea for the case to be utilized on "The Stand S/L" so, it may be a better fit to do this for the 1/1 edition rather than try to size it for the "Coffin" book. Should be a much smaller case to deal with. Sure would be unique. Especially if you could somehow include a biohazard sign on the vial. A glass one would also work better IMHO
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

My first thought was for either a 1st/1st or for the Uncut edition. Most people that have the Limited already have a case for it.

Those little brown vials the homeopathic liquids come in would probably work for the vial (about 3" tall and 1" diameter) ... I'd assume that someone with computer skills could print out either stick-on bio-hazard emblems or "Super-Flu Antidote" stickers to attach to the vial. I'd have to play with a lid to get the curvature down. Off the top of my head, I'd expect a thinner case would make the lid more difficult to make without actually bending the wood too much. That's why i was thinking a solid wood lid with a shelf hollowed out to hold.
    www.bookslipcase.com

Country
    Country Flag

Although this is holding an hour-glass, something along these lines?? Zeligs/RFs thoughts on a stand for it would work also....

www.bookslipcase.com

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

That might work. Especially if you could somehow work in the bio hazard sticker.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast