Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Dark Man: An Illustrated Poem

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I love his artwork. He puts so much detail into his work, he never half asses it. Great guy, as well.
    Glenn is AWESOME to work with and a great friend.
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I told him once that I'd love to watch him work to see how he does all that intricate detail. His wife was there at the time and she said, in the broadest of Maine accents, "You'd have to see him in his undah-weah."

Quote Originally Posted by Tito_Villa View Post
    I love his art work but would also like to see someone else give a SK limited a go
    Well, in this case, he was the artist requested for the project and we do happen to be big fans of his work.

But in terms of other artists for SK books, just at CD alone, there have been others who are also terrific. Bernie Wrightson, Glen Orbik, Tomislav Tikulin, Vincent Chong. Plus others for interiors on various projects.

He's not doing The Shining at Subterranean Press or Joyland at Titan, either.

So there's a little something for everyone out there!

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Waiting Lists are now live for the signed editions if you want to be notified if a copy becomes available:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/KING08B

Brian

Thank you again to everyone who has shown us tons of support today! We really do appreciate it.

I don't expect these to keep selling at this clip, but the slipcased trade edition is now 25% sold out.

Brian

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    As I've said elsewhere, King's words and Glenn's art both help tell the story of The Dark Man here. It really does become a compelling read.

This is the World's First Edition, First Printing of this version of the poem and the artwork.

Brian
    So is this a different version entirely?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    As I've said elsewhere, King's words and Glenn's art both help tell the story of The Dark Man here. It really does become a compelling read.

This is the World's First Edition, First Printing of this version of the poem and the artwork.

Brian
    So is this a different version entirely?
    King may have tweaked the text a little, I don't actually own the originals. But this presentation of the poem is totally different than the three previous versions.

Brian

UPDATE: Slipcased will be 30% sold out by the time we leave the office tonight.

Brian

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Great job. Just goes to show Cemetery Dance is a damn fine publishing company.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

King has published relatively few poems (I believe he said in an interview he's written much more), but I think it would be a nice little book if they'd all be collected. A book for one short poem seems a tad overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    King has published relatively few poems (I believe he said in an interview he's written much more), but I think it would be a nice little book if they'd all be collected. A book for one short poem seems a tad overkill.
    Well, the idea was to take The Dark Man and turn it into a kind of mixed media story -- with a real build and a powerful impact at the end.

To steal a bit of one of my posts from elsewhere, here's how the book was designed:

Starting back in January, Glenn went nuts on the artwork with a little bit of direction from us based on what we were hoping to do with the book. He also filled in a few gaps during the design phase. (The very last pieces, which I love but will save as a little surprise for when folks read the book, arrived over this past weekend.)

Kate handles all of the design based on ideas and concepts from our production meetings. In this case, there was a very specific rhythm to the poem that we wanted to convey as Glenn's artwork turned it into a kind of mixed media story.

This book isn't for everyone, but I think those who enjoy how King can use a few words to create very full, real life scenes and those who enjoy Glenn's artwork will get a real kick out of it.

Brian

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by barlow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    It says on the CD website that this is the World First Edition, when it is in fact the third time this has been published. Firstly in "Ubris" and then in "Moth".

"World's First Edition, First Printing SLIPCASED trade hardcover featuring a different dust jacket and shrink-wrapped with a deluxe custom-made slipcase and a collectible Glenn Chadbourne bookmark featuring a Dark Man drawing that doesn't appear in the book ($49.95)"
    Wasn't it also in The Devils Wine?
    The poem was also reprinted in Bev Vincent's Illustrated Companion.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

The Ubris version and The Moth version are different, especially toward the end. The one in my book is the Ubris version.

Country
    Country Flag

Would be interesting to see a comparison of the two versions. Which text is being used for this book?

Country
    Country Flag

The book is now available on Amazon, too: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1587674211/

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Would be interesting to see a comparison of the two versions. Which text is being used for this book?
    I'll have to dig out my copies of Moth and the Companion. I don't own the Ubris volume. It'll take a couple days. Life has a way of getting in the way.

John

The version from The Devil's Wine with any minor corrections or tweaks the author requested.

Brian

Michael Jackson Darkday is on a distinguished road Darkday's Avatar

Differences between the Ubris version and the Moth version:
    (“/” denotes a line break)

“Let us go, then, you and I ...” / T.S. Eliot
    (removed)

gantry silence of hobo jungles;
    gantry silence of hobo jungles:

where mush-reek rose
    where musk-reek rose

to mix the sex smell of / rotting cypress stumps
    to mix the sex smell of rotting cypress stumps

in the undulent shadow of all this monster void.
    in riven monster orbits.

and in the sudden flash of hate and lonely
    and in a sudden jugular flash

Differences between the Moth version and the Devil's Wine version:

and burned sterno in the / gantry silence of hobo jungles:
    and burned sterno in the gantry silence of hobo jungles:

within the breakdown lane with thumb levelled
    within the breakdown lane with thumb leveled

And in a sudden jugular flash

Quote Originally Posted by Darkday View Post
    Differences between the Ubris version and the Moth version:
    (“/” denotes a line break)

“Let us go, then, you and I ...” / T.S. Eliot
    (removed)

gantry silence of hobo jungles;
    gantry silence of hobo jungles:

where mush-reek rose
    where musk-reek rose

to mix the sex smell of / rotting cypress stumps
    to mix the sex smell of rotting cypress stumps

in the undulent shadow of all this monster void.
    in riven monster orbits.

and in the sudden flash of hate and lonely

Differences between the Moth version and the Devil's Wine version:

and burned sterno in the / gantry silence of hobo jungles:
    and burned sterno in the gantry silence of hobo jungles:

within the breakdown lane with thumb levelled
    within the breakdown lane with thumb leveled

And in a sudden jugular flash
    Very nice breakdown! I went over the file again last night and it looks like the version we were given is basically The Devil's Wine version with T.S. Eliot added back at the beginning.

Brian

First photo of the trade hardcover editions of The Dark Man:

There's a link to a larger shot in the original post:

http://www.brianjamesfreeman.com/201...rade-editions/

Brian

A photo from Dan in the warehouse of the individual customer orders for the trade hardcover of The Dark Man by Stephen King. The stack of paper weighed in at 19 pounds:

http://www.brianjamesfreeman.com/201...-stephen-king/

Brian

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I ordered the Slipcased and S/L, but could you dig through that pile and put mine on the top? I'm sure no one else will mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I ordered the Slipcased and S/L, but could you dig through that pile and put mine on the top? I'm sure no one else will mind.
    Sure, let me just shuffle through the pile and find it.

Brian

Gunslinger Apprentice CaliMark is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Just got a shipping notification from Amazon that my Trade HC has shipped....The other editions were a bit to $$$ for me...Anyone else is it on its way?

CaliMark
    Mark Reed

Quote Originally Posted by CaliMark View Post
    Just got a shipping notification from Amazon that my Trade HC has shipped....The other editions were a bit to $$$ for me...Anyone else is it on its way?

CaliMark
    Mark Reed
    Please let us know how your copy looks when it arrives. We drop shipped a ton of copies to our book distributors who either reshipped those copies to Amazon's warehouses or, more likely, are shipping FOR Amazon in Amazon boxes. (That was something new we learned last month. It turns out at least one of the major book distributors ships on behalf of Amazon in Amazon's own packaging a lot more than we realized.)

Thanks for ordering a copy! Hope you dig it.

Brian

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast