Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: UV Window Film

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Default UV Window Film

I haven't tried this myself, but it might be useful if your books are in a room that gets a lot of sunlight. (I still wouldn't leave a bookcase direct sunlight.)
    It's not tinted, so you could put it on the glass in your bookcase doors instead of the room's windows for a little added protection.

Clear UV Window Film

Amazon Listings
    Mark Twain

Traveler alishba is on a distinguished road

The books came well-packed from the Whitney Museum. This is one of King's personal "author" copies which were numbered with Roman numerals. The rest of the series were unnumbered.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am sort of gutted and dont really know what to do : I THINK that I have noticed, some mornings, that some sun goes directly onto the only place where I could put my book collection. I thought that it was safe, but now I doubt that it truly is.
    I will put some pictures up, but do you guys have any tips of how to protect books from UV lights? Protecting the books directly? Put some kind of door to bookshelves...?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Not the best picture, but should give you an idea.
    (Wtf are those pictures turned?)

Anyway : in the morning, I have noticed that some light goes through the small window with the buddha figurine thingy, and goes directly where the (empty) bookshelves currently are.
    Any ideas of what could be done to prevent that, or, instead, to protect the books?

CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=herbertwest;927365]Not the best picture, but should give you an idea.
    (Wtf are those pictures turned?)

Anyway : in the morning, I have noticed that some light goes through the small window with the buddha figurine thingy, and goes directly where the (empty) bookshelves currently are.
    Any ideas of what could be done to prevent that, or, instead, to protect the books?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Put blinds on the window. Only open it up for light when sun will not directly shine on any part of your bookcases.
    You presumably know that when Earth revolves around the sun, due to the tilt of our planet's axis, direct sunshine may or may not come through that window striking your books; depending on the season.

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the input.
    I dont think that the window is really a problem because of the angle it gets in, but I keep it in mind. My real issue, is that, in the small hours of the morning, I have noticed that some light may comes in from the wee "window type thing" on top of the desk (which doesnt open as it's not a real window).

Maybe should I put some of those "UV Window Film" on those?

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I keep all my "special" books in my home office, which has 3 unopening windows that are an odd size--about 24" square. They don't open either--I refer to them as the dumb windows. Anyway, we bought UV film for all three at Lowe's, which is a big box hardware type store. As you can see, I get most of my light in the morning. I think it works well. I've had it up for several years now and have seen no issues with my books.

Please ignore the mess that is my office, but see below. Lots of light let in, but nothing direct to hurt my babies!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Thanks for the input.
    I dont think that the window is really a problem because of the angle it gets in, but I keep it in mind. My real issue, is that, in the small hours of the morning, I have noticed that some light may comes in from the wee "window type thing" on top of the desk (which doesnt open as it's not a real window).

Maybe should I put some of those "UV Window Film" on those?
    It can't hurt.

John

Country
    Country Flag

So, I am planning on buying some of these :
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...8&tag=csk21-20

BUT :

1) I dont really know how many to buy as their size do not make sense to me. Could someone please help me?
    My windows are :
    o 1 meter x 0,45 meter
    o 1m65 x 0,35m (2 times, for both glasses of the window)

2) They dont deliver to me. Any chance that someone could please order for me, recieve it and then forward it to me? Obviously I'll pay for all costs.

Thanks!

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

BUT :

1) I dont really know how many to buy as their size do not make sense to me. Could someone please help me?
    My windows are :
    o 1 meter x 0,45 meter

2) They dont deliver to me. Any chance that someone could please order for me, recieve it and then forward it to me? Obviously I'll pay for all costs.

Thanks!
    I'll help you.

It comes in a roll 24" wide. That's 60.96cm wide.

Each unit that you order is 9' long. That's 2.74 meters long.

If you order more than one unit then they send a continuous length roll.

You will need two units to cover your windows. That will be a roll 60.96 cm wide by 5.49 m.

I'm in Florida. If shipping it here first and me sending it on help I can do that too.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

I actually installed uv film on my book cases. It looks pretty good. I'll post pics later

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post

BUT :

My windows are :
    o 1 meter x 0,45 meter

Thanks!
    I'll help you.

It comes in a roll 24" wide. That's 60.96cm wide.

Each unit that you order is 9' long. That's 2.74 meters long.

If you order more than one unit then they send a continuous length roll.

You will need two units to cover your windows. That will be a roll 60.96 cm wide by 5.49 m.

I'm in Florida. If shipping it here first and me sending it on help I can do that too.
    Hello Br!an, thanks for the reply.
    So 2 rolls seem to be about $30 including shipping to you, then extra cost for shipping it to me.
    I'll send you a PM, and thanks again for your help !

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You can put them safely into a box and carefully ship them to me in Texas!

I know I'm late to this discussion. Blocking UV will certainly help and an easy way to mitigate at least some of the sunlight issues without turning the room into a cave. If I was going to put film on the window, why not double-down and put it on the glass of the case too?
    WANTED
    US 1st Printings. I have THESE
    #92 IT Portfolio (or the #95 IT to swap for the #92 that I have)
    Any #95 SK-related Cemetery Dance Edition
    Any #7 PS Publishing Edition
    Sleeping Beauties: Signed Tour version.

Gunslinger Apprentice FennyBate is on a distinguished road FennyBate's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I recently built a new built-in bookcase for our lounge room - my collection was previously in a spare bedroom, with no direct sunlight. Our lounge cops some direct sun, in the afternoon, so we have exterior blinds and interior blinds. I was still concerned, so had tinted UV film applied to the window. Feel MUCH better, now. It's also great for privacy, as you can't see in during the day.
    Cost was AU$300, for a window measuring 2.4 x 1.5 metres (8' x 5'). Took the installer about 45 mins.
    Lincoln.

+ Reply to Thread