Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your first release day King book purchase?

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Your first release day King book purchase?

I read a lot about the different collectors on here that have had books for many years or bought them new. Some King books were published before I was born, while some of my favorites when I was a child. I am always curious about whether or not anyone here bought Carrie or 'Salem's Lot on the day they were released.

My first King book that I bought on release day was The Wind Through the Keyhole. I had previous King books, but they were never bought in anticipation of digging into the latest book. They were purchased because I got a good deal or heard such and such was worth checking out.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My first release day book was Rose Madder, the first ever hardcover I bought.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Mine was Cujo. I got a second printing of Firestarter, which was actually my first King hardcover.

John

Rabid Billybumbler fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Wind Through The Keyhole, i had just finished Song of Susannah for the first time and i saw the advert to pre order Keyhole

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I think it may have been the large format trade paperback of The Waste Lands.
    That was in junior high and I had just stumbled onto The Gunslinger and DOTT a few months earlier. I don't think I even knew the Grant hardcovers existed until sometime in college.
    Mark Twain

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I live in the Netherlands and I initially only collected Dutch books. I think I started buying the Dutch translations on release day from Four Past Midnight onwards, until I quit collecting Dutch books about 5 years ago.

I started collecting US and UK in the early 2000's and have been buying them on (or sometimes before) the US release date since From A Buick 8, I think.

(My first King purchase was in 1988 I think, when I was 14. Not on release day though, just some 2nd hand paperbacks.)

Citizen of Gilead Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Christine 1983 Waldenbooks.
    "I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble." ♤Sam Spade ♤

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Insomnia.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

First Argentinian one: The green mile.

First US: Wolves of the Calla (got it one day prior publication actually).
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

The Shining

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    The Shining
    Fantastic! Such a diverse group here.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

FIRESTARTER, August 1980. I still have the promotional bag for DANCE MACABRE the bookstore put it in.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Gunslinger Apprentice Bryant Burnette will become famous soon enough Bryant Burnette's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The first new one to come out after I started reading (and obsessing over) King was Four Past Midnight, but I can't swear that I bought it on release day, or the next few, either. The first one that I know I did that for was Nightmares & Dreamscapes, and I never looked back after that.

Which reminds me that I need to put in an off request for June 4...

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Song of Susannah

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Probably Everything's Eventual, although that was a graduation present from my parents.

Most of the time I just get the books from the library, although I order it way in advance so I'm usually one of the first to get it.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gunslinger Apprentice Bryant Burnette will become famous soon enough Bryant Burnette's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    FIRESTARTER, August 1980. I still have the promotional bag for DANCE MACABRE the bookstore put it in.
    That's pretty damn cool!

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    The Shining
    Fantastic! Such a diverse group here.
    I don't know about the demographics of TDT.org as a whole but the age range of us collectors in Calvin's Corner is from mid-twenties to 72 I think. Pretty diverse indeed!

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Someone should start a related thread about a book you bought and at the time had no idea it would be worth a lot in the future. For me, that would be ENDER'S GAME, for which I paid cover price, and probably grumbled about the $13.95 not being discounted.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nightmares and Dreamscapes would have been the first I bought within a week or 2 of release, not on release date though.
    Cell was the first one I bought on release day.
    The reason for the time frame break was that I was cheap and didn't want to pay the full cover price for the books, also I was more into the Book Club at that time (no idea then the value of different editions) I just wanted to read his books, didn't care in what form. Just before Cell came out I got into collecting, hence that being the first I bought on release day.

TBH, I am not that into buying on release day anymore, unless there is a signing I can go to, I can wait 6-12 months and get the books on ebay for way less then cover price easily. I am now buying the e-book early so I can read the story, since the books he is putting out now will never (well not in my lifetime) be worth much anyway.
    Christine

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

You DO know that we gotta see that bag, don't you?
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    You DO know that we gotta see that bag, don't you?
    It's pictured in post #81 in my collection thread.

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

The Wind Through the Keyhole; ya I'm a bit of a newbie.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

The Green Mile, I highly anticipated the release of those every month. I also remember asking for Nightmares & Dreamscapes for Christmas. Obviously I didn't get it on release day, but that was probably the closest prior to The Green Mile. Before then I would just buy whatever paperbacks I thought sounded good.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Empath of the White View Post
    The Wind Through the Keyhole; ya I'm a bit of a newbie.
    I'm right there with you!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    The Green Mile, I highly anticipated the release of those every month. I also remember asking for Nightmares & Dreamscapes for Christmas. Obviously I didn't get it on release day, but that was probably the closest prior to The Green Mile. Before then I would just buy whatever paperbacks I thought sounded good.
    It would have been painful for me to wait every month just to finish the book. Of course, that is nothing compared to TDT series.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast