Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: Editor/Illustrator fees?

Demon of the Prim stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Inspired

Default Editor/Illustrator fees?

So, things have really been looking up for me since having the opportunity to contribute to In Mint Condition! My dabbling on here and the excitement of friends and family have stirred up some interest in my talents. I couldn't be more surprised!!

I never expected to be contacted for professional work, but I find myself in an interesting position. I have received a number of requests to illustrate and edit works. (So many that I will need to be selective and begin politely turning down requests.) I have yet to commit to any projects, because a) I'm not sure what my schedule will be like after baby arrives shortly b) I've never before tackled such work professionally and c) I have no idea how to negotiate the agreements.

How much do "new" editors and illustrators charge? I've had a wide range of offers (% of profit, flat rate, rate by time, rate by number of illustrations, etc.) and some have simply said, "please provide an estimated fee"... While I'm tempted to simply jump at the highest bidder, I am attempting to select the projects by merit and would like to be sure I am not underselling myself nor requesting more than my worth.

This is completely unexpected and I am truly humbled by the interest. I cannot believe that in a matter of a few weeks I have found myself in such a promising position. Any advice is much appreciated!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

what wonderful, wonderful news!!! bears are so happy for you (even though unable to help)!!!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Here's what my daughter charges: http://www.virginiahouk.com/p/experience.html She's done several book-length projects over the past year or so.

My advice: never opt for % of profit. Most of the time you'll probably get nothing.

Demon of the Prim stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Inspired

Thank you very much for the help!

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

"My advice: never opt for % of profit. Most of the time you'll probably get nothing."

I don't agree with this at all. It all depends on the project itself and who is running it. If the project sucks and the person is lazy/unmotivated, you'll make nothing. If the project is great and the person running it is motivated and WANTING to do a great job, then you could make some big money. But understand, if you are getting paid a percentage of the profits, you're not getting paid for a job, you are becoming a partner. A silent partner, but all of your success and monetary compensation depends on that other person. Choose wisely.

Also, below is an example (extreme example, but still) of why taking a percentage of the profits is a good idea:

http://www.glossynews.com/artman/pub...rix-1521.shtml

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

say most of the time I'd agree with Bev, but there are certainly exceptions.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

As a writer, one thing you learn pretty quickly -- stay away from anthologies that pay a percentage of royalties (i.e. profits) in lieu of an advance. I did a few of those early on and my *best* payoff from one was less than $20. In another case I got $1.85. The rest: nada.

If a publisher can't afford to pay advances up front (the industry standard), then the likelihood is that they won't have the money to properly promote the book, which means that it won't sell and won't make any money. An advance is supposed to represent the publisher's estimate of what the book will earn, doled out early. No advance? That tells me what their expectations are.

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

The pricing discussed here isn't really relevant to you(she's well established and a well known design rockstar), but she brings up a lot of the questions that you need to consider when doing illustration professionally.

How long does the client want to license the artwork for?
    One month? One year? Two years? Five years? In perpetuity?

In what context is the artwork going to be used?
    Do they have the rights to use it on anything? In print only? Web only? Broadcast? Tattooed on their faces?

If the job is reprinted, will there be an additional fee for a reprint?

Do they want an unlimited license or do they need to own the rights?

Are these rights transferrable if the company is sold?
    What kind of company is it?Is it for a Mom-and-Pop business, a multi-billion dollar corporation or something in between?
    The last time I hired an illustrator, around the end of last year, it cost me about $200 per spot illustration. That included a couple of revisions, so fairly standard pricing.
    Again, that was a fairly established illustrator with many years of experience and well developed skills in both traditional and digital art creation.
    Mark Twain

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

FWIW, this is fascinating stuff!!! Loving this thread!!! Thanks, Krystle and keep the suggestions coming IMHO
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Inspired

Keep the info coming!! I'm going to be contacting one author this week to discuss expectations and see what sort of figures he's thinking. It is super helpful to learn about my options and hear others opinions!