Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter Straub, author

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I have a couple of German editions, too. This one comes in a nice velvety slipcase (thought it's a tight fit)

I love all the books from EP.
    My Edition Phantasia PPH is the only one with an amazing signed remarque from the German Illustrator Reinhard Kleist.

The printed velvet slipcase.

Gunslinger Apprentice Bryant Burnette will become famous soon enough Bryant Burnette's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've only read a few of Straub's books, but I have enjoyed them. My favorite so far, I think, is If You Could See Me Now, which is a very good novel. I also like Julia, Ghost Story, and Shadowland a lot. I need to read the rest of his books one of these days!

Citizen of Gilead Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish

I always wondered since i am registered here at TDT, that Straub not has his own thread. So this is a very good idea and i am looking forward to get more information of this brilliant author!

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

One of the first S/L books I ever bought....way back in 1982. This was back in the good old days when the S/L was often (well...sometimes) the true first edition. Published by Underwood-Miller in November, 1982 (the Putnam trade edition was published in February, 1983). 500 numbered copies signed by Straub and dust jacket artists Leo and Diane Dillon (and 50 Presentation Copies). I've always hoped the original dust jacket artwork would come up for sale someday but I have never seen it offered. Despite the fact that to my knowledge it has nothing to do with the story I have always liked it quite a bit. And I'm still not sure why Cemetery Dance thought we needed another limited edition of this title. The original limited edition can still be bought from eBay and ABE for a relatively modest price if one shops around.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Almost forgot I had this. Might be interesting to some. A well read Putnam proof of FLOATING DRAGON. But with some interesting provenance. Supposedly the copy given to Leo and Diane Dillon to read and create the artwork for the U-M limited edition.

I don't think that Underwood-Miller did a proof for the book. The only pre-publication state I have ever found is this set of F&Gs.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

That looks really cool. I have read six of his books and loved five of them. I'll probably own a bare bones Straub collection one day: Ghost Story, If You Could..., Floating Dragon.

I'm glad to see an author in this sub-forum actually deserving of his own thread.

WDIL, which book didn't you like?

I would put THE THROAT at the top of my (ever changing, ever evolving) top 10 books I have ever read list. Some of his more recent works have, by Straub's own admission, been "intentionally ambiguous." I haven't enjoyed them as much as his mid-career books like MR. X, THE HELLFIRE CLUB, THE THROAT and MYSTERY which, IMO, were all genius.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I didn't like 5 Stories. Actually, I liked 1/5th of the book. I thought Little Red's Tango was great but I couldn't get into other four. Donald, Duck was just weird. I think "intentionally ambiguous" can definitely be applied to some of the stories in that collection. I'll give it a try again. Sometimes it happens that with time I learn to appreciate books I didn't initially like.

Last thing I read by him was the novella "The Ballad of Ballard And Sandrine" and I really, really liked it. I have to admit though, I didn't quite "get it" the first time and there's a chance if I read it now, I would probably see something I missed before. That, to me is a sign of good writting.

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    I didn't like 5 Stories. Actually, I liked 1/5th of the book. I thought Little Red's Tango was great but I couldn't get into other four. Donald, Duck was just weird. I think "intentionally ambiguous" can definitely be applied to some of the stories in that collection. I'll give it a try again. Sometimes it happens that with time I learn to appreciate books I didn't initially like.

Last thing I read by him was the novella "The Ballad of Ballard And Sandrine" and I really, really liked it. I have to admit though, I didn't quite "get it" the first time and there's a chance if I read it now, I would probably see something I missed before. That, to me is a sign of good writting.
    I've only read "The Ballad of Ballard and Sandrine" once. I liked it but, like you, felt I missed a lot. I thought I would reread it chronologically as the chapters have titles by year but are out of chronological order. I think that would clear up a lot of questions I have.

It's hard to admit now but I really didn't like GHOST STORY all that much the first time I read it. I've now read it four or five times and I think it gets better with each reading. Superb writing and storytelling.

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

I have the signed/limiteds of GHOST STORY, SHADOWLANDS, and FLOATING DRAGON. I'll try and throw up a pic(s) soon. Also have an inscribed copy of THE HELLFIRE CLUB. I haven't read much of his post-HELLFIRE work, though. Another one of those authors from whom I've fallen away. Maybe, like King (was not a Constant Reader from 99 to '09), I'll be back...though I suspect I probably won't. An attempt or two beyond HELLFIRE left me a bit cold.

In my mind, though, if he'd only written GHOST STORY, his legacy would be secure. I find that novel to be one of the top five genre works written in my lifetime.

Citizen of Gilead Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish

Do you think Peter Straub has the wrong name OR do you thinks if his name would be s.KING he would be also millionsdollardscounting as the King?

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

King has a style that is perfectly suited to mass popularity and consumption; Straub's prose style is far too literary and complex (and not always in a good way) to reach that audience. Names have nothing to do with it (assuming you were serious).

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Identification points for a UK first Shadowlands please?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Identification points for a UK first Shadowlands please?
    An interesting question. I've never been 100% sure on this. I have three copies that I assume are first UK editions but there are worrisome details. My copies all state "COLLINS, St. Jame's Place, London, 1981" on the title page. But on the copyright page, in small print, it says "First published in the UK 1980." Not sure if typo or not.

Also, I have never had a copy with an intact dj showing a UK price in GB Pounds. I have had copies that are price-clipped (bottom corner of front flap) and I have had copies with intact dj's and no printed price.

Also, I have never seen a UK proof of this title.

Again, an interesting question and one that has been nagging me for quite a while. I have never been able to get a definitive and/or knowledgeable answer from any of the UK booksellers I have asked.

Would appreciate any other comments with insight into this.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe that should have just read first published in 1980 since the US edition was 1980?

I don't suppose you could help with identification points for the other early straub books, please.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Maybe that should have just read first published in 1980 since the US edition was 1980?

I don't suppose you could help with identification points for the other early straub books, please.

Yes. Just tell me what books you are interested in and what identification points you want.

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Bookmint on ebay has the new release signed Floating dragons from CD for less than issue price - only $49.95 plus shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/signed-Peter...item2ec6d5f42e

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I have a signed copy of the manuscript of "The Ballad of Ballard and Sandrine" that Peter gave me after I tweeted about his reading from it at the World Horror Convention in Austin. He tracked me down in the audience at a panel, sat next to me, scribbled an inscription on it and handed it over. What a great guy!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I have a signed copy of the manuscript of "The Ballad of Ballard and Sandrine" that Peter gave me after I tweeted about his reading from it at the World Horror Convention in Austin. He tracked me down in the audience at a panel, sat next to me, scribbled an inscription on it and handed it over. What a great guy!
    That sounds really neat!

John

Recently picked up an advance reading copy of IF YOU COULD SEE ME NOW. First US edition, 1977. I was pleasantly surprised to find a blurb of decent length by Stephen King laid in as part of the review material. This is still one of my favorite Straub novels.

Early Straub books are often hard to find in tip top shape. I was really happy to get this US first edition of JULIA, 1975, with advance review material from the same seller.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice, Bob!

John

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

They look great for being around 35 years old, congrats Bob

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

they do look in excellent shape - very nice

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast