Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Peter Straub, author

Citizen of Gilead GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric's Avatar

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

It'd be nice to have limited editions of Ghost Story and Shadowland, but not at a $400 price tag. I'll probably end up passing if that ends up being the price.
    It was hell's season, and the air smelled of burning children

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Jerad can make a helluva book for $400! That said, he would definitely be pricing some people out of the market at that point. It also seems high for a limitation of 500, which is the biggest he does. Will be curious to see where this goes - I think Ghost Story is long overdue for a nice edition!

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Julia was $300 If I recall correctly, and that was a very nice edition indeed. A $400 Ghost Story would be incredible. Definitely on my list.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Per an e-mail this morning, Borderlands Press' numbered edition of the Straub short fiction collection, previously scheduled for a 10/31/20 release, has been postponed to 11/30/20 due to Straub's recovery from surgery.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Per an e-mail today, Borderlands Press' numbered and lettered editions of the Straub short fiction collection, previously scheduled for a 11/30/20 release (and 10/31/20 before that), has been postponed to 3/31/21 "due to very serious illness to the author."

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Oh no. I hope Mr Straub is okay, and wish him well.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”

Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I know; it doesn't sound good.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Per this:

https://twitter.com/DavidJSchow/stat...28412287336448

...Straub had "open-heart surgery in mid-August" and only left the hospital last Friday. Sounds like he's on the mend, which is great.

He posted on Facebook a couple of weeks ago and seemed to be recovering slowly but well. I hope it continues.

Ilium (Simmons)

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Hope he recovers fully.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I don't believe I received an e-mail to this effect, but Borderlands Press' website shows that The Complete Short Fiction of Peter Straub has been delayed again; the numbered edition until June 1, the lettered edition until July 6.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Borderlands Press sent an e-mail yesterday updating several publications, one of which being the Straub set. The delay wasn't mentioned, but this was:

We are VERY happy to announce Mr. Straub is recovering nicely from his surgeries and has completed signing all the sheets for his books. We will be sending everything to the printer this week.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Question for any deep Straub fans out there: does any of Straub's Blue Rose-associated short fiction tie closely enough to the BR trilogy that I should be sure to read the trilogy first? (I haven't even started it).

My old notes tell my future self not to read the collection Magic Terror: Seven Tales until after reading the BR trilogy, and because I assume Borderlands Press' upcoming Complete Short Fiction of Peter Straub collection must include the contents of Magic Terror (named, as it is, Complete), it occurred to me that (given the June 1 publication date of BP's collection) I should probably read the trilogy so that I can read the collection without spoiling something for myself - unless the connections aren't of a spoiling nature.

Thoughts?

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

These are the short stories connected to the Blue Rose series:
    • Blue Rose
    • The Juniper tree
    • Bunny is Good Bread (aka Fee)
    • The Ghost Village.

There's a Subterranean Press collection that has these four stories, called Juniper Tree and Other Blue Rose Stories

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    These are the short stories connected to the Blue Rose series:...
    Thanks. Do you know if reading them before reading the trilogy might spoil anything in the trilogy?

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    These are the short stories connected to the Blue Rose series:...
    Thanks. Do you know if reading them before reading the trilogy might spoil anything in the trilogy?
    They'll make a lot more sense if you read them after. "Bunny" particularly spoils things.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

They'll make a lot more sense if you read them after. "Bunny" particularly spoils things.
    Thanks!

In the kind of meta-fictional twist that Straub enjoys, I think at least one of the stories was “written” by Tim Underhill.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Yeehaw

The Borderlands numbered Straub set has begun shipping (they shipped mine).

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I just received my Borderlands Press Straub short fiction set (I got the numbered) and from what I see, I'm very happy:

- 2 volumes (volume 1 is short stories, 2 is novellas)
    - total page count >1,000
    - I'm not sure what to call the binding (which is black), it's similar to buckram (which is like a plastic-coated cloth (I'm describing buckram poorly; I make it sound tacky and horrific, which it definitely is not))
    - foil-stamped spine: volume 1 is red, 2 is blue
    - end papers are metallic gray with a swirly pattern: volume 1 is light (silvery), volume 2 is darker
    - Straub signed both (I'm not sure, when signing a set, if it's customary to sign all volumes or just the first)

They still have sets available, all of which are signed.

Numbered ($120): https://www.borderlandspress.com/sho...mited-edition/

Lettered ($500): https://www.borderlandspress.com/sho...tered-edition/

Also:
    You can get 10% discounts on these and other things (maybe everything) at BP by arranging to pay by check or money order (I did so).

[My standard disclaimer when I appear to go too far in gushing about something: I have no connection to Straub or Borderlands, but I want to push this because I feel Straub is a bit undervalued in the world of literature (horror and generally) - and I really like this set.]

Good to hear you're happy with it! It sounds fantastic. I ordered mine through CD, so hopefully it won't be too much longer.

I think signing both volumes of a two-volume set is pretty unusual. A nice bonus. And I agree about Straub being undervalued. I don't understand it, honestly. He's a terrific writer.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Citizen of Gilead GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric's Avatar

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

According to the product page there's only 2 left. If you still want them better act fast!
    It was hell's season, and the air smelled of burning children

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

And 21 Lettereds.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Does anyone know if the Lettered has started shipping yet?

Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Yeehaw

The lettered edition's publication date has been pushed back to Oct 21 2021 (not sure why; there's fewer of these (obviously), so I wouldn't think this hinges on Straub's signatures).

If any of you have ordered the lettered - perhaps Hunchback Jack, since you asked about the shipping? - please post pics!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast