Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: On being a completist - degrees and how far does it go

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Default On being a completist - degrees and how far does it go

Questions and opinions needed from the completists in our midst. Friends, where do you draw the line? At what point do you go: "OK, even I don't need that." Do you draw the line at magazines with interviews, reviews, write-ups? I'm assuming his non-fiction essays take precedence over opinions on King by other people. How about comic books? Do you get everything with King's name attached or just original material? Think American Vampire (original material) vs. The Talisman (adaptation.) Arcs by other authors that King blurbed?

I'm really interested in what seasoned collectors have to say about this.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Could probably write an essay on this topic. Basically, if it has original writing by King I try to get it. Fiction (novel length and short stories) and non-fiction (introductions, reviews, columns) are equal in my eyes. If it is writing BY King then I collect it.

I've got most all of the published interviews and, in my mind, they are almost like published non-fiction.

I have a lot (and I mean a whole lot) of magazines with articles about King but I don't obsess over them. If they are available and look interesting then I get them on a case by case basis.

The comic books are a no go for me. I felt that I got taken advantage of with the first arc of them...The Gunslinger Born. I bought all of the cover variants and began to feel used. Swore I wouldn't travel that path again. I bought the hardback compilation of American Vampire because it had an introduction by King.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Actually, for my collection, I followed the guidance of an informed person who said to "set your own rules" which, I took to heart and did. So, I am no where near a "Completist" at all. However, I am extremely happy to have accomplished my self imposed goals!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

When I first got started, I bought everything I could find. I still think I am crazy sometimes but the collection is very huge now and there are only so many things to look for. The letterheads, signed limited, signed trades, proofs, manuscripts are definite favorites. I've been "sucked in" to the comics and have way too many...might have to thin the herd soon...

Gunslinger Apprentice Bryant Burnette will become famous soon enough Bryant Burnette's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am a King fan first, but I'm also an amateur King scholar. So my own version of "completion" includes anything I think I might need for my scholarly(ish) pursuits. Whatever my budget will accommodate, at least.

So, for me, it's all books and stories, nonfiction, movies (original and adaptations), comics (original and adaptations), audiobooks, books about King and his work, soundtracks...you name it, and odds are I've either got it, or want it.

For me, though, I draw the line at buying different editions of the same book. If there is a compelling reason to buy it -- new artwork, or a new introduction -- then I'll buy it. Or if I just really dig the cover. But otherwise, I don't feel the need to buy every edition that comes out. The idea of having them all appeals to me, but it's not worth the money it would cost on my relatively meager budget.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I'm sort of a SK completist, but there are many things I'm not interested in. Also, my budget is not sufficient to get everything within a given sub-set of collectibles. In the past, I just bought whatever I came across but I don't like a collection that's all over the place and that has many gaps in it.

My current approach is to sort stuff by type and/or chronological period and to work on small chunks at a time. I tend to only buy stuff that fits within one of these scopes (unless something awesome and scarce comes along that I know I'll be looking for in the future anyway). If a list is completed, I'll expand it chronologically by a few years or add some other variable.

These are my current goals, more or less in order of importance. Some of these I completed already:
    • US 1st/1st trade editions.
    • US trade edition proofs and ARCs (1970s, 1980s and early 1990s up to and including The Stand: Complete & Uncut Edition). No manuscripts or Dark Tower proofs.
    • First appearances of short fiction and poetry.
    • Excerpts of novels in magazines (1970s, 1980s).
    • Non-fiction appearances that specifically deal with King's approach to writing.
    • US 1st/1st trade and mass-market paperbacks (1970s, 1980s).
    • US limited editions that were meant to be the only edition, contain additional writing or are unique in some other way.
    • Castle Rock Newsletters and Phantasmagoria.
    • UK editions that I like for whatever reason, including their proofs.

It's highly unlikely that I will ever acquire some of the early proofs and first appearances (or all three volumes of The Plant) so I'll simply move on when I get everything I reasonably can within a sub-set.

This probably sounds overly complicated but it's really not. It makes perfect sense in my mind, it just looks weird when you write it down.

I will never, ever start collecting promotional materials, SK-related comics, SK movies, audiobooks, and non-English SK books.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Well thought out and stated, Michael. It is not easy to put into words definitions of our collections. As I said earlier I could probably write a lengthy essay on it. Heck, George Beahm wrote a whole book! Lots of ground to cover.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Definitely! I guess I just like neat & complete 'sets' of items so that has shaped the way I collect nowadays. That's also the reason why I won't collect DT proofs, for example (no complete set possible, which would leave me frustrated).

Having said that, I'd definitely aim for an SK collection like yours (minus manuscripts/arcane pre-publication states, correspondence, and some of the more recent limiteds) if availability and budget weren't limiting factors.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Well thought out and stated, Michael. It is not easy to put into words definitions of our collections. As I said earlier I could probably write a lengthy essay on it. Heck, George Beahm wrote a whole book! Lots of ground to cover.
    Bob, if you are up to the task I, for one, would be very interested in reading an essay on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Bob, if you are up to the task I, for one, would be very interested in reading an essay on the subject.
    Ha! Ha! Thanks! But I'm not up to it.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, I have no interest in ARCs or proofs or comic books or movie tie-in swag or other promotional items, so that means I can ignore all that. I can't afford lettered editions so I don't even want to start down that road. In concept, I would like to collect magazine first appearances (story and naked girls always a plus!), but if I started then I would feel compelled to complete that goal and that's another road I don't want to start on.

I already have all the U.S. trade 1/1 editions (I believe). Not interested in UK or other foreign editions.

I am a big fan of anthologies so I've tried to get all of those that contain a first hardback appearance of a King work. I've got quite a few but not all.

All that being said, my main focus collecting goal is the S/L'd editions. King original fiction, collections, anthologies with King stories, etc. Basically, any book with a number limitation and a King signature. I have a whole bunch of them but still a few holy grails out there. In theory, if there is a S/L edition that does not contain a King sig, but the lettered state does, the lettered would fall under my goal. Alas, I don't have any of these yet.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Ha! Ha! Thanks! But I'm not up to it.
    It was worth a try!
    Without pandering and with all due respect given, your posts, especially when they include anecdotal stories, are are a wealth of information and entertainment. Your recent post centered around Bill Thompson's reluctant Getting It On rejection letter to SK made for fascinating reading.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

As you may know, I like to specialize in King’s pre-publication items, such as proofs, ARCs, manuscripts, F&Gs, blue lines, etc. I’m missing some of the most scarce items (the Doubleday proofs, for example). I collect both the US and UK items. I also collect proofs, etc. of anthologies with King’s works and those of books about King.

I also like the proof dust jackets, advance reader’s copies (with the appropriate publisher’s letter), etc.

I have most of King’s signed limiteds, but only one lettered edition—Riding the Bullet—because it was the only edition with King’s signature. I’m missing some of the earlier signed limiteds: Gunslinger, Cycle of the Werewolf and My Pretty Pony, mainly because of the cost. I had the chance to buy the My Pretty Pony when it first came out but, again, I felt the cost was too much for what you got. I don’t regret that decision.

I have almost all the US and UK 1st/1st editions. I have a goodly number of signed trade editions, mostly of King’s newer works. Because I don’t feel expert enough to decide if a signature is authentic or not, I’m hesitant to buy any of the older items off eBay.

I have all the magazines with King’s fiction in them except a couple issues of Ubris.

I have lots of anthologies with King items in them, both fiction and non-fiction.

I have almost all the King comics except the Talisman issues. I was sorely disappointed the The Stand comics (I much preferred the book itself) and decided that retelling a story in graphic novel form was just not for me. I have most of the variants and all the hardcover editions.

I have lots of King promotional items, both for the books and the movies, although I prefer those for the books.

I’m not that hot into the artwork. I have a couple remarques (including the one by Erin Wells for the CD Doctor Sleep). I have most of the officially issued portfolios (The Stand, Insomnia, etc.)

I don’t have any of the Dolso cases, mainly because of both the cost and how much room they take up. I do have some of the slip/traycases that have been issued by other people.

I have a decent number of books about King.

My dual problems—cost and space—pretty much limit what I collect. Since I’m retired, cost is an over-riding factor above all.

John

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

Line?? What Line?? Who said there was a line? I've never seen a line!
    First it was all US firsts, then UK firsts, then all fiction in magazines, then college pubs,
    then proofs, then limiteds, then lettereds, interviews, all non-fiction in mags, newspapers, books etc...
    then all appearances of various stories in anthologies, cookbooks, scripts, all first edition
    US signed, signed anthologies, signed ephemera, interesting book promotion items and
    most recently I have been acquiring every book/proof of other authors with significant SK blurbs.
    At 4000+ items it just keeps growing!
    I missed the line!
    About the only thing I avoid is movie stuff.

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
    Line?? What Line?? Who said there was a line? I've never seen a line!
    First it was all US firsts, then UK firsts, then all fiction in magazines, then college pubs,
    then proofs, then limiteds, then lettereds, interviews, all non-fiction in mags, newspapers, books etc...
    then all appearances of various stories in anthologies, cookbooks, scripts, all first edition
    US signed, signed anthologies, signed ephemera, interesting book promotion items and
    most recently I have been acquiring every book/proof of other authors with significant SK blurbs.
    At 4000+ items it just keeps growing!
    I missed the line!
    About the only thing I avoid is movie stuff.
    LOL - I feel the pain.
    I have successfully avoided movies, promo items (tho I do have some), and comics.
    Otherwise Ive also never seen a line
    reality continues to ruin my life

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I stopped with the comics when they began rehashing the books
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

i was trying to collect everything... I wanted to have the best King collection in the world...

Then I saw Bob's (carlosdetweiller) collection and realized I didn't stand a snowball's cahne in hell of even having the best collection in the state.
    so I gave up that fantasy (I don't have a couple of oil wells in my back yard like Bob does)

Now... It's keeping up the US and UK Hardback first edition novels (I have a complete set of each except for a 1st US state salem's lot jacket (I have a 1st ed with second state).
    trying to fill in my proof collection, and of course the limited eds as I can afford them.... though after losing my job, I have temporarily stopped getting the lettered editions

I try for all the first print short stories/poems... whether it be in mags, books, school newspapers,college era, etc.

occasionally buy an interview piece, if it's priced right.

I've really started to build my other author's collections up more as I've scaled back on being a king completist.

Maybe, some day I'll have the best Robert McCammon collection...

nah... sure Bob's snagged that title too (damn ya Bob )

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

"But otherwise, I don't feel the need to buy every edition that comes out."

It's funny you said that, because one of my main goals is to collect every edition of a book. I love love love seeing how many different editions I can acquire. Hardcover, paperback, US, UK, foreign editions, etc etc. I want them all!

I've always had the idea in the back of my head ... One day I'll start doing a month a title. Doesn't even have to be in order. But let's say ... April, next month ... will be Gerald's Game. And for that month I'll thoroughly seek out every edition of Gerald's Game that I can find, and I'll buy it. If there's a S/Ls or proofs, I'll buy them. All the foreign editions I can get my hands on, buy buy buy. And then May comes ... and the random title to buy will be ... 'Salem's Lot. Buy buy buy. So on and so on.

I want to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Boomme View Post

Maybe, some day I'll have the best Robert McCammon collection...

nah... sure Bob's snagged that title too (damn ya Bob )
    No. My McCammon collection is pretty good but Hunter Goatley has the best McCammon collection. Take a look at the McCammon thread under "Other Authors You Collect" if you haven't already done so. Pretty impressive.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

THIS PART ENDED 17 YEARS AGO.

BUT THEN THIS PART STARTED.

ALL I CAN SAY IS
    Spoiler:
    FUCK NETFLIX

Citizen of Gilead Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Damn!!!

Citizen of Gilead Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Which book, and which DVD is the most rare? Amazing collection!!! W o W

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

For me, i mostly collect : french publications (ALL the anthologies, magazines... + 1st editions although i lack money and space to really buy them + proofs)
    However i woudnt call myself a french completist. I know an handful of french/belguim KIng collectors that have/aims at owning every single print of Stephen King's books in french.

I also collect :
    - comics
    - games
    - movies
    - movie press kits

i think that that's it
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Early on I would simple pick up the new releases of Stephen King at the local bookstore (70's-90's). Then I collected baseball memorabilia of Gary Carter (80's). Then fell into comics, original comic art, and mailed out hundreds of sketch cards (90's-2000's). After the floods I am simply working on my favorite book "IT" which is not an easy task.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

]
    Quote Originally Posted by Coulrophobia View Post
    Which book, and which DVD is the most rare? Amazing collection!!! W o W
    SIGNED 1st EDITION SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES

AND A LOT OF OOP ANCHOR BAY DVDs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast