Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Hugh Howey, author

Citizen of Gilead jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g's Avatar

Thanks for posting. I must try and get one of those.

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Love the ARC's

I'm unclear on the publish on demand books. Do those books have number lines? Or did they also publish regular paperbacks?

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

There aren't number lines but IIRC when he changed the cover art or contents the copyright page was changed to say second edition. So there aren't ways to identify first printings but first editions can be identified by the original cover art. At least I think that is the case.

Citizen of Gilead jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g's Avatar

Goldsboro have sold out of the signed limited Shift.

Gunslinger Apprentice Jud Crandall will become famous soon enough Jud Crandall will become famous soon enough Jud Crandall's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

This is the first I've heard of this author. I bought the kindle omnibus (for $4) to see what all the fuss is about.

I hope it's not weird to me to sit and read on the PC, as I don't own a kindle.

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I actually sent an email to Hugh asking about sending him books to be signed (since I will not have everything for tonight) - he replied the same day and actualy sent me his address and said absolutely. Here is his email: hughhowey@gmail.com

I dont think it is right for me to post his address - plus it might be best just to send him a personal email anyway. I have posted a few times on his blog - I think he knows we are coming with a few books tonight

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

His email addresss was in the back of the Kindle Wool omnibus - so no big deal for me posting that - anyone can get it

He is really approachable to the extent that he appears to pack and send books himself if you order them from him directly.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well I went ahead and plunked down $5 on the Wool Omnibus. Looks like it has so many great reviews. Not looking to collect another author but always up for a good read.

Anyone know if Amazon is still selling first printings? I'd like to try to find an unsigned 1/1 copy from somewhere...

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    Well I went ahead and plunked down $5 on the Wool Omnibus. Looks like it has so many great reviews. Not looking to collect another author but always up for a good read.

Anyone know if Amazon is still selling first printings? I'd like to try to find an unsigned 1/1 copy from somewhere...
    I just went to my local B&N today - they had three 1/1 HC - I had called last week and asked them to order them - and they did. You could always check there and have them order if they do not have any - then you would know for sure

Country
    Country Flag

Okay - this will be a bit long (enjoy).
    Just returned from Hugh's signing in Berkeley and we all had a great time. I had a brain fart and didn't realize the signing was in an area of town that we've been to over a dozen times. I've walked past and into the bookstore. So we arrived a little more than an hour before the signing and figured we would grab a quick bite to eat at the local Mexican restaurant - it was quick and Steph could do a little shipping before the book event too. Usually Hugh had posted where he was going to eat before his events, but he had not done so for this one. So after we order our food and turn around - who is sitting around a group of about 10 people. - yep Mr. Howey. So we go over and say hi - and he proceeds to grab another table and add to the group and they invite us to join them.

So that's where we sat and ate before the event - it was awesome. Probably the best story though was asking how everyone else had gotten into Wool. Well the women around the table were all friends and knitters - yes knitters - and one of them had inked up a book they thought was about wool - there was never really any information about knitting in the book, however they were hooked and spread the word to each other to read about the "other" wool.

Then it was off to the reading - it was a nice, intimate group - about 50 or so I think. Hugh talked about his writing process, life events that were the basis of many of the stories in wool. Also some information as to the movie part of wool as well. Most of the time was opened up to questions from the audience.

Country
    Country Flag

Alright - wasn't sure how many pics I could fit in one reply - so after the Q&A. I got in line with several bags of books (I got near the end since I felt bad that I had over 20 books). Seriously - here they are after the event:

Sorry for the iPhone photo - but I wanted to get these up quickly once we returned home. Hugh was great and took his time with everyone. He would pose for pictures as well.

Hugh did mention they we already onto the third printing of his book - I never did ask him how many first printings there were...

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Sounds like it was an awesome time.

Country
    Country Flag

I also mentioned to hugh that we had started his thread here - and he asked for the website. So I emailed him tonight with a link to the forum and his thread - so who knows he might pop in and say hello.

I know there was a question above about first vs second printings of the individual wool books - here is a pic of my books:

The only one with a second printing is book 1. The first printing is top left, the second is top middle. Everything else is a first printing (I do not think the were second printings of books 2-5).

I also asked for one quote - in untangled - book #4 - the last line by Jules - which is one of my favorites in all of the books:

I can't think of anything else to write - please feel free to ask away - and I'll try my best to answer any questions. Everyone who asked for a signed HC - I have those and I will get with everyone to figure out best way for shipping, although realistically I won't be able to get the, out until Saturday or early next week (the work week will be pretty busy).

Did I say I had a great time at my first book signing event? I hope so, since we all had a wonderful time - and hugh was great and really down to earth, engaging open and honest (he did mention his next book might delve into erotica. - to sure how serious he was, guess we will have to wait and see...

Citizen of Gilead Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish

Wondeful read, thaks Cit!

I mailed him for signing the shift-books he offered on his Homepage and he answered in minutes... He also informed me then that he will be joining Germany in in the end of the year for a reading tour! I am really looking forward to it.

At the moment he is still a author for the readers and it seems that he spends lot of time in answering his readers, but i really HOPE for him that his success will be so huge that he soon cannot handle all the fan-requests and need an own office! That means money and reputation for this friendly author!

Back to the book. I am now around page 300 and i love it!

P.S.: I am searching for the self-published Wool 1 ! If someone knows something, please let me know!

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Looks like you and your boy had a nice time.

Fantastic. It sounds great. I love the way he is so accessible to his fans. I don't suppose it will last as he achieves the fame he deserves. Would love to meet him one day.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jon10g View Post
    I love the way he is so accessible to his fans. I don't suppose it will last as he achieves the fame he deserves.
    I think with all of the social media these days, being accessible is much easier. One of my favorite authors, David Morrell (the creator of Rambo), posts daily Facebook updates and responds to posts left by others. I once emailed him some questions about one of his books and received a response from him within hours. I imagine it is easier replying to a inbox full of emails than it is trying to reply to stacks of fan mail.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

<-------------------------------Wished he could have attended.
    Glad you had a great time. I hope he pops in here to the site.

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Jaw dropping wow!
    I'm super jealous and really happy for you at the same time. Great stories and good pics too. Not to mention Mexican food, YUM! I wish there was good Mexican in New England. Unfortunately we get good chinese and bad Mexican.
    Thanks for sharing!

Glad you mentioned the thread to him. Hopefully he'll drop in.

Citizen of Gilead Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I am glad it was a memorable, and fun experience. Congrats!!

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Now that's how you build a fan base.
    Looks like it was a great event.
    Mark Twain

Country
    Country Flag

There's a UK arc ending in a few days on the UK ebay
    http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI...m=171009408236

Several bidders already and at £51 - does ship to US. I think my arc arrived today (but I missed the signed post - so I have to grab it tomorrow - still a day too late for the signing yesterday)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cit74 View Post
    There's a UK arc ending in a few days on the UK ebay
    http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI...m=171009408236

Several bidders already and at £51 - does ship to US. I think my arc arrived today (but I missed the signed post - so I have to grab it tomorrow - still a day too late for the signing yesterday)
    Looks like it is missing the band though. I'm beginning to wonder if the banded versions are getting more scarce.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast