Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Hugh Howey, author

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    What is the value of the S/L Wool Trilogy?
    Under the list price for sure. The set listed for $180 and the slipcase was made by a different company for $50, i believe. I tried selling mine for $180 and was offered significantly less then that.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Under the list price for sure. The set listed for $180 and the slipcase was made by a different company for $50, i believe. I tried selling mine for $180 and was offered significantly less then that.
    I agree. There will never be a profit to be made on these books. I bought them because I liked the story, but years from now, I doubt many will know who Hugh Howey is.

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    I agree. There will never be a profit to be made on these books. I bought them because I liked the story, but years from now, I doubt many will know who Hugh Howey is.
    i wouldn't be to sure. no guarantees in life, but i wouldn't be so confident drawing that conclusion quite yet.

https://www.thewrap.com/guardians-of...fox-exclusive/

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sgc1999 View Post
    i wouldn't be to sure. no guarantees in life, but i wouldn't be so confident drawing that conclusion quite yet.

A movie still wouldn't guarantee a huge price increase in the S/L. Look at The Martian S/L. Is it really worth a lot more than the $75 retail? A few have sold on eBay for $100-$150. Not really big bucks there.

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

A movie still wouldn't guarantee a huge price increase in the S/L. Look at The Martian S/L. Is it really worth a lot more than the $75 retail? A few have sold on eBay for $100-$150. Not really big bucks there.
    agreed,
    I dont think a movie would do it unless it was a VERY popular trilogy. A tv series might do it though if it was done really well.

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

The problem with the WOOL trilogy -- and, to a lesser extent, THE MARTIAN -- is that other S/L copies of the books already exist, so the resale market is further diluted. When a popular book has one S/L, then it comes The Copy To Have and the value stays relatively stable (generally speaking) if the book/author isn't a one-hit wonder who otherwise quickly fades from favor. But when you have multiple S/Ls of the same book, their values suffer from oversaturation. As with everything, books' values are based on supply-and-demand, and if the former is so high that it exceeds the latter, the values will never hold. I paid $125 for a Fine/Fine set of the Sub Press S/L set of WOOL (sans slipcase, unfortunately), and I'd probably be lucky to get that back for it, if I ever chose to sell it. Can't recall what I paid for my UK S/L of THE MARTIAN, but I knew that with that edition numbering 1000 copies, there'd be no way the Sub Press edition would ever increase...there's still some post-pub hype surrounding it that continue to maintain/bolster its value, but I fully expect it to progressively drop over time.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I think its safe to say only time will tell. Who would have thought a comic book would be worth over a thousand dollars a year after it was released? The likes of the walking dead does not come often, but its impossible to know what will blow up. Over all, its safe to say one movie usually wont do much for a books value. A trilogy, good, a successful TV series? even better.

Servant of Gan sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

FB post from hugh

While I was at sea...

Several incredible deals went through while I was at sea. Ridley Scott and Fox renewed the option on the film deal and say WOOL is a top priority for 2016. They've put a lot into this already, and it feels like something could actually move forward. The script from Nicole Perlman is amazeballs. Now the search is on for a director.

In super-crazy-hellz-yes news: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt has bought the print rights to SHIFT, DUST, and BEACON 23. All are coming early next year to bookstores near you. For the writing crowd, this is a pretty sweet precedent to set. The deal is for THREE YEARS. Print rights only. Pretty crazy. Hope it works for them and it leads to more fair deals for authors in the future.

Kudos to my incredible agent, Kristin Nelson, for making these things happen while I'm at sea.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sharki69 View Post
    FB post from hugh

While I was at sea...

Several incredible deals went through while I was at sea. Ridley Scott and Fox renewed the option on the film deal and say WOOL is a top priority for 2016. They've put a lot into this already, and it feels like something could actually move forward. The script from Nicole Perlman is amazeballs. Now the search is on for a director.

In super-crazy-hellz-yes news: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt has bought the print rights to SHIFT, DUST, and BEACON 23. All are coming early next year to bookstores near you. For the writing crowd, this is a pretty sweet precedent to set. The deal is for THREE YEARS. Print rights only. Pretty crazy. Hope it works for them and it leads to more fair deals for authors in the future.

Kudos to my incredible agent, Kristin Nelson, for making these things happen while I'm at sea.
    This is great. Hugh is the most humble author i have ever met. Just a really mild, down to earth guy, and really appreciates every fan he has. I hope the best for him!

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

FB post from hugh

While I was at sea...

This is great. Hugh is the most humble author i have ever met. Just a really mild, down to earth guy, and really appreciates every fan he has. I hope the best for him!
    Agreed, I have not had the chance to meet him at a signing (although he lives only 45 minutes away in Jupiter, FL), but he has kindly responded to emails and graciously signed books I have mailed him, reminds me of Joe Hill...
    "God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't read him. The Wool trilogy looks interesting though.

I didn't know he lived (t)here.

Off topic but The Food Shack in Jupiter has fantastic food.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Country
    Country Flag

So I was trolling through ABE looking for things to buy when I stumbled upon this - not bad for $60 I think:

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

congrats! I still need one of those
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Servant of Gan sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Awesome Eric ! Great deal !!

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Excellent rarity, Eric!
    "God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

Citizen of Gilead Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish

...what a steal for 60$. Damn, should have been mine ^^

Congrats!

Gunslinger Apprentice TacomaDiver will become famous soon enough TacomaDiver will become famous soon enough

And while not specifically a new purchase (and one that a few of you have,) I did want to show off my copy of Hugh Howey's Wool from Subterranean Press. I have heard a few people getting different numbers in their set (maybe they didn't buy directly?) but all three books that I received had the same number.

What I like about mine is that I also got mine signed by the artist - Jason Gurley. These books are how I discovered that Jason is not only an artist, he's a writer too, and one morning I accidentally discovered that he was going to be up in my area (albeit a two hour or so drive north,) I went up to where he was and got him to sign the Wool books and one of his novels. (Jason mentioned that he had one signed one other set of Wool and that was from a reader in Argentina who sent his books up to Portland to be signed.)

All three editions were signed on the copyright page:

Also, Jason Gurley's latest self-published novel was picked up by a major publishing house, and the hardcover edition just came out. I got the self-published version signed - complete with a nice quote on the cover from Hugh.

Last edited by TacomaDiver; 01-19-2016 at 12:02 PM. Reason: because I couldn't add pics from my iPad.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Very nice. I have a copy of Eleanor on order from Powells.

Gunslinger Apprentice TacomaDiver will become famous soon enough TacomaDiver will become famous soon enough

I plan on getting my copy signed in March when he's up in the Seattle area. I have the HC from Amazon and the ARC. I just wish the UK HC was out when he's up this way (the cover is beautiful!)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post

Country
    Country Flag

Cool !

He is not coming near Nashville...

If you want/need a copy signed, let me know. I will ever seeing him on the 1st of March.

Cool !

He is not coming near Nashville...

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

I have the arc as well and would love to get it signed. I have a copy of the self published Eleanor signed already. And the UK cover is very nice. I am hoping there will be signed versions sold somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    I plan on getting my copy signed in March when he's up in the Seattle area. I have the HC from Amazon and the ARC. I just wish the UK HC was out when he's up this way (the cover is beautiful!)

I'm willing to get the ARC signed if you're interested. Plenty of time to ship it.

I have the arc as well and would love to get it signed. I have a copy of the self published Eleanor signed already. And the UK cover is very nice. I am hoping there will be signed versions sold somewhere.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    I'm willing to get the ARC signed if you're interested. Plenty of time to ship it.

Thanks. I may take you up on that.

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

TacomaDiver, thanks for the heads-up...I very well may go to that signing in Seattle (Kirkland, actually...just down the proverbial street from me!) as well. It was Gurley's art, in fact, that sold me on the WOOL set from Sub Press; were it not for that, I would have picked up the tpbs (it was my first Howey purchase, and, truth be told, probably my last). I'd love to have sign my volumes, and ELANOR sounds pretty intriguing...I have a soft spot for alternate realities / time travel books, and this one sounds like it has a neat familial twist on the form.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast