Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Hugh Howey, author

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

I did have some sand in mine. I always ask for a line from whichever book is being signed. I don't really like personalized books.

Was your copy printed in Great Britain? ( if look at the back of the last page it should say.) I only ask because of his video re the collectibility of POD books and how having it printed a certain date could make it more collectible then others. Mine has no date as well. Just thought it was kinda funny.

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I asked him to sign and date mine. Based on Twitter and his Youtube videos, I believe this the first day he was signing this edition.

He also mentioned these being printed on the 14th and 15th in his video, so it looks like I have one from the second day of the first run.
    Mark Twain

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

I wonder if he grabbed mine from a different pile then. The copyright actually says printed in USA. Maybe they all say that though.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Oh please, this guy is trying to create his own market. He's not King and he's not talking about a first state unclipped 'Salem's Lot DJ. It's a self-published story with a printing error, get over it.

Country
    Country Flag

I actually don't care, I just thought it was funny that he made a big thing about it and I get mine and it has no date. Thats all.

EDIT: I should add that there are probably people that do care. People deem a collectible book has greater or lesser value based on small things like the price on a dust jacket or when it was printed. Someone may want to have a POD book printed on the first day available and signed by the author as close to the release day as possible. Why you're concerning yourself with it is beyond me because the value isn't here for you, just like the value of a signed King book isn't there for everyone.

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I actually asked him to sign, date and time it…I wanted to be first

actually i have not received mine yet and have no idea what i am getting or what i asked for
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Mine says it was printed Jan 14 in Charleston, SC
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I just find it interesting how the technology and publishing industry is changing and the information it allows.

The general consensus up to now has been that print on demand books are not collectible (abe even lets you filter them out). Adding data like this to a book, takes a step towards changing that.

Members here and elsewhere have spent a lot of time figuring out gutter codes to determine when a book was printed, this is no different. Eventually some of the writers that are self publishing now could become household names. When that happens, these details will be important to collectors trying to track down their early work.

Now I completely agree about that book he shows in the video with the smaller trim size. That's just a production error where the machine apparently slipped.
    Mark Twain

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
    I just find it interesting how the technology and publishing industry is changing and the information it allows.

The general consensus up to now has been that print on demand books are not collectible (abe even lets you filter them out). Adding data like this to a book, takes a step towards changing that.

Members here and elsewhere have spent a lot of time figuring out gutter codes to determine when a book was printed, this is no different. Eventually some of the writers that are self publishing now could become household names. When that happens, these details will be important to collectors trying to track down their early work.

Now I completely agree about that book he shows in the video with the smaller trim size. That's just a production error where the machine apparently slipped.
    I just don't buy the whole POD/date collectible thing. Take a regular paperpack book. 10000 copies printed in the first printing, 10000 in the second printing, etc. All books in each printing the same. For a POD book, is each day's worth of books considered a separate printing? A year from now, I am the only one to order a book on a particular day. Does that make the book super rare and a 1 of 1 collectible since it is the only one with that date on it? To me, it is absurd. But if getting a self-printed book with an earlier date on it means something to a collector, then more power to them.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post

I just don't buy the whole POD/date collectible thing. Take a regular paperpack book. 10000 copies printed in the first printing, 10000 in the second printing, etc. All books in each printing the same. For a POD book, is each day's worth of books considered a separate printing? A year from now, I am the only one to order a book on a particular day. Does that make the book super rare and a 1 of 1 collectible since it is the only one with that date on it? To me, it is absurd. But if getting a self-printed book with an earlier date on it means something to a collector, then more power to them.
    I would think it wouldn't be too hard to have the POD printer change the date to whatever they wanted to create a sort of counterfeit edition.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

ELazansky said what I meant in a much more eloquent way. When people are trying to create a hot new item themselves by hyping it, looking for printing inconsistencies or buying an author they think will become collectible, that's one thing. When you have a self-published author make a video trying to create a niche market himself, that just rubs me the wrong way. Of course he'll be creating that market himself and creating some arbitrary and artificial "collectibles," he profits directly from it.

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

His video was good for a few chuckles...insisting that POD (Print On Demand) is even more collectible than regular 1st editions; a negligible trim-size error instantly creating a collectible, not realizing books and stamps/coins are two far different things; POD date codes making for a better, more accurate, first-edition collectible, etc.

It's interesting to see the way in which some folks become so enmeshed in their small corner of the world that they begin to lose perspective. A more cynical person than me would suggest that he's selling an illusion of POD collectibility to his listeners, but I do truly think that he believes what he's saying. Either way, it's an absurd contention.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

While I am interested in what the date stamp in my book says, I actually agree with most of the points the three of you have made. But what about the bigger picture beyond the cynical "Hugh is just marketing himself" point of view?

This interests me far more when I look at how the industry is trending and how that will affect collectors in the next 10 years or so. That's what made me post he video and ask if others thought this kind of thing is going to matter down the road.
    What happens when e-books take over completely and POD is the only way to get a physical copy? Books will follow music and movies sooner, rather than later. Former Borders employees will tell you they already have.
    Will trade editions be dead and S/L the only way to go?
    Mark Twain

Country
    Country Flag

I will always prefer hardcover books over paperbacks but I do like that self published authors aren't beholden to contracts and 1 release per year. They basically publish when they're done writing, so if you have a favorite author you get the next book much sooner. I did read somewhere that many self published authors like to do everything in the publishing process, which can lead to an inferior product especially if the author isn't a decent editor. I've always found it hard to self-edit anything I've written.

As as collectibility is concerned, I don't know. That date might be important and what differentiates between a valuable edition and reading copy.

A question for wedealinlead: how does Howey directly profit from a collectible pod market?

He is not the only pod author out there and doesn't sell exclusively from his site. He has said he makes more money from the ebook sales then the hard copy sales so creating a market out of this is really irrelevant for him. Now, he probably has a larger profit margin per book that he sells from his site then he does from amazon (I think it's $5 a book for an author when ordering copies from Createspace) but he probably sells a small fraction of the total from his site. Plus, all authors see zero money from books sold on the secondary market so, I don't really understand your view here.

Country
    Country Flag

He profits from it because he's the one selling the books. I didn't mean he profits from aftermarket sales; I meant he's hyping up his own POD books as some sort of collectibles and they all originally came from him. Next time he self-publishes something, people will be lining up because it was him who crated interest in POD books as collectibles (due to printing mistakes, time stamps etc.) not the fans themselves. People will be hoping to score that elusive first day time stamp or maybe their book will even have a missing page, thus creating a collectible...or whatever. Those things hardly matter for writers with legitimate publishers, why would they matter for a POD book?

I'm not knocking POD books at all. They're a perfectly reasonable option for many writers and smaller presses. I think Dark Regions and Bad Moon have completely switched to POD books for paperback editions. I've never seen them hyping them as collectibles. They're just lower end trade editions, same as Howey's books.

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Great post he made today on his website, called "I Suck at Writing", worth the read.

http://www.hughhowey.com/i-suck-at-w...#comment-30210
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Country
    Country Flag

It looks like Sand will be released in hardcover in the UK in June.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sand-Hugh-Ho...6&sr=8-1-fkmr1

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    It looks like Sand will be released in hardcover in the UK in June.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sand-Hugh-Ho...6&sr=8-1-fkmr1
    And then I'm sure Goldsboro will issue a "signed/limited first edition" as well

Country
    Country Flag

This is what I am thinking Sub Press will do for the Lettered edition of the Wool Trilogy. A triple wide tray case.

Citizen of Gilead Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish

Sand is online for preorder @ goldsboro... as usual limited to 500 copies!

Also you can order an interesting Sand-print from Ben Adams for 25$, signed by both. Not just an easy print as you can read!

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Interesting looking print. Thanks for the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauterer View Post

Also you can order an interesting Sand-print from Ben Adams for 25$, signed by both. Not just an easy print as you can read!

Servant of Gan sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the heads-up. Ordered one

Country
    Country Flag

I'm done with Goldsboro's "limited" editions. Taking a regular first edition and adding a limitation page does not make it limited in my eyes. Premiere Collectibles does a similar thing. They take a US first edition and add a limitation sticker to it.

Citizen of Gilead Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish

I'm done with Goldsboro's "limited" editions. Taking a regular first edition and adding a limitation page does not make it limited in my eyes. Premiere Collectibles does a similar thing. They take a US first edition and add a limitation sticker to it.
    BUT: its signed and reader can be sure that its really a Howeys signature?! Ok, at the moment his signature has no or less value, but things can change...

Country
    Country Flag

BUT: its signed and reader can be sure that its really a Howeys signature?! Ok, at the moment his signature has no or less value, but things can change...
    He sells tons of signed books directly from his website. His signature is not hard to get.

This isn't a complaint against Hugh. I ordered the Wool trilogy limited editions from Sub Press. I like limiteds. This is a complaint against companies trying to "make" collectibles.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast