Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bag of Bones

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'm glad you gave it second shot KO1, and enjoyed it this time around. It's such a great story.
    I still have to go pick up the audio version of it, and give that a listen to.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Just started to listen to the audiobook. King is great to listen to, although he has one of the funniest Boston accents I've heard.
    I'm only into the second or third chapter, but he mentions Thad Beaumont from The Dark Half which I'm currently reading, and he says something which I'm hoping isn't a spoiler for that book. I'll have to wait and see.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Wow, no one's posting here in how many months? Hope I'm not necroposting....

Anyway, just finished Bag of Bones.

I have to say, even though I liked it I had some mixed feelings about it. Don't get me wrong, it didn't have enough in it that I hated to deter me from ever reading it again, but it lacked some of what I've seen in sai King's other works.

In some of his other works he has characters that are memorable, that I can see clearly in my mind's eye (not easy for me, sad to say). I know what they look like and what they might do or say in a given situation. I didn't feel that with this book.

On the plus side, however, I did enjoy the plot, and found it to be very creative--just when I thought I had it figured out, King would throw another curve at me and I'd have to re-think the thing all over again. Even in King's work you don't see that a whole lot--storylines can become predictable. Thus I give him kudos for that.

In sum, a good book, and I'm glad for having read it, but I didn't enjoy it as much as some others (including the other Derry tales, IT and Insomnia).

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by John_and_Yoko View Post
    In some of his other works he has characters that are memorable, that I can see clearly in my mind's eye (not easy for me, sad to say). I know what they look like and what they might do or say in a given situation. I didn't feel that with this book.
    Neither did I. It's only one of the many problems I have with this novel.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Its interesting to see the differing points of view! Personally, BoB is in my top ten King stories. I loved it. And I was thoroughly outraged when
    Spoiler:
    Mattie Died!

That means that I connected with the character. I also thought King did a teriffic job with Kyra - how many writers ever write fromthe POV of one so young!
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post
    Its interesting to see the differing points of view! Personally, BoB is in my top ten King stories. I loved it. And I was thoroughly outraged when
    Spoiler:
    Mattie Died!

That means that I connected with the character. I also thought King did a teriffic job with Kyra - how many writers ever write fromthe POV of one so young!
    There I have to agree to disagree.
    Spoiler:
    When Mattie died I didn't really feel anything--it felt more like the story was being taken in an unforeseen direction, and there wasn't really time to mourn her.

Granted, some of the times he did do a good job with Kyra, but other times she didn't sound as young as she's supposed to be at all....

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

hey now.

don't taggle your own quartermack!

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post
    hey now.

don't taggle your own quartermack!
    Which falls into the former category.

Traveler Harley2280 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I really enjoyed it.

Gunslinger Apprentice theyspunaweb is on a distinguished road theyspunaweb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

what the heck was the "give me back my dustcatcher" stuff all about?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

It all relates back to the nightmare that Mike had about Jo.

John

Gunslinger Apprentice theyspunaweb is on a distinguished road theyspunaweb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The one with the 3 women?

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I think it was back at the beginning, didn't he find a book she was reading under the bed at their regular house?
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

That was the one.

John

Gunslinger Apprentice Whitey Appleseed is on a distinguished road Whitey Appleseed's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ki putting her foot down, the Handmaidens of Angelina, the Green Lady, those invisible cables, some other images that help explain images from other stories (to me anyway), a story I wish I knew more about (the Human Headcase), there's a lot to like about the story, or stories, all of them connected.

Along the Path of the Beam Beamer is on a distinguished road Beamer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Good book... I made my mom read it.

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

On my complete Re-Read project and just finished Bag of Bones. Sometimes I blame myself when I do not like something that is well loved. Second time was not a charm. Ha! So did I miss something? Someone that loves it has to make me see the light!

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
    Ready Plyer One Sub Press S/L
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

It's been awhile since I've read it but I've always had it in my top 10 of SK books. I always have trouble putting into words exactly why I like the things I do though. I do remember liking the ending as that always seems to be something that King struggles with.

It was a little bittersweet with the little girl essentially becoming an orphan, but it ended with a semblance of hope that everything would turn out ok.

I believe I read it when my own kids were really young so I may have connected with it more at that time with the main character wanting to take care of the mom and the little girl. I'll have to re-read it again now that my girls are all mostly grown to see how well it's held up for me.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    It's been awhile since I've read it but I've always had it in my top 10 of SK books. I always have trouble putting into words exactly why I like the things I do though. I do remember liking the ending as that always seems to be something that King struggles with.

It was a little bittersweet with the little girl essentially becoming an orphan, but it ended with a semblance of hope that everything would turn out ok.

I believe I read it when my own kids were really young so I may have connected with it more at that time with the main character wanting to take care of the mom and the little girl. I'll have to re-read it again now that my girls are all mostly grown to see how well it's held up for me.
    I see what you are saying. Maybe the fact that it is tough to describe the reasons for liking it is part of why it is loved? Simple stuff is rarely liked in the long run.

ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

I see what you are saying. Maybe the fact that it is tough to describe the reasons for liking it is part of why it is loved? Simple stuff is rarely liked in the long run.

Maybe, but I have trouble defining why I like anything that I do. Books, movies, music etc... I just like what I like.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just started re-reading this BoB after completing Insomnia. What strikes me is how much tighter the writing style is than Insomnia. Insomnia was often a long-winded book that should have been 100 pages or so shorter. I wonder if King had a better editor? BoB is also King's most traditional ghost story. The Shining is arguably a "ghost story" as well but of the less traditional kind. It's refreshing after Insomnia's endless trip down the Dark Tower rabbit hole which was tiresome. I associate BoB with King's efforts to be a better writer not just a story teller. There are tradeoffs as he never recaptured that raw energy of his early novels but definitely a better written book. It's not my favorite King book by a long shot but still enjoying it.

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I had forgotten or didn't realize that the concept of the "Outsider" was introduced in this book.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    I had forgotten or didn't realize that the concept of the "Outsider" was introduced in this book.
    I don't remember that either. Can you refresh my memory.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    I don't remember that either. Can you refresh my memory.
    There is a reference in the epilogue (page 527 if you have the 1st edition). I believe there is an earlier reference but can't find it at the moment.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2