Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Collect? Spill Your Secrets!

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

When you find yourself active in a community on the internet that was developed for the sole purpose of celebrating the works of your favorite author..........you might be a serious collector.

Goldmember Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold

Anyone seeking books for an end goal, collection. As far a value wise my most valuable book is a BOMC 'Salem's Lot, it was my first King book & was a gift that couldn't be replaced by another copy. While I can always buy another S/L or such, I can't replace that BOMC. I think when collecting value is all up to the collector & not necissarily by market value.

Closet Flipper Frankie has a spectacular aura about Frankie has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post
    I don't think it necessarily has to do with money, but I agree with The Library Policeman--when you start buying books with a price tag that has non-collectors' jaws dropping, it a good indication you are a serious collector. And when you start buying lots of bookcases with doors to protect your books, it a good indication you are a serious collector. And when you start dropping hundreds of dollars to buy slipcases, Brodart covers, etc., just to protect your books, it a good indication you are a serious collector.

I think for me, it was when I first went to The Strand in NYC. I found my way to the Rare Book Room and went nuts. It's where I bought my first collectible DT books. It's where I bought my first ARCs/proofs (think I picked up 3 that day). And its where I got The Road to the Dark Tower signed by Bev Vincent. I walked out with 2 large shopping bags and a dazed look on my face, having spent a few dollars on clearance books and almost $600 in the Rare Book Room. It was a lovely day!
    I think most people would agree:

1. Expending significant effort and significant money: Serious collector.
    2. Expending little/no effort and little/no money: Not serious collector.

But what are people's thoughts on:

3. Expending little/no effort and significant money. (i.e. you just go on Betts one day, buy a copy of every different King book listed for asking price, and all of a sudden have a collection worth $80,000 dollars (or whatever), that you paid 120,000 dollars for.
    4. Expending significant effort and little money.

It seems most people would agree 4 is a serious collector (and I do as well), but what about 3? I'd say they are. Or at least could be. Could be they're a 1,000 dollar an hour lawyer that loves the shit out of King, wants an amazing collection, but is better off spending his time lawyering than pissing around with eBay and forums for hours at a time. But then I also tilt back the other way a little, and think that if he's really seriously interested and serious about collecting, wouldn't he make some time even if it wasn't financially advantageous?

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll tell ya what makes a serious King collector, one who does not sell even when they are homeless and living in their car. Just one book got away. One.

Also, when you have no money yet you are still trying to find a way to buy more books.

Closet Flipper Frankie has a spectacular aura about Frankie has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by Lot guy View Post
    Anyone seeking books for an end goal, collection. As far a value wise my most valuable book is a BOMC 'Salem's Lot, it was my first King book & was a gift that couldn't be replaced by another copy. While I can always buy another S/L or such, I can't replace that BOMC. I think when collecting value is all up to the collector & not necissarily by market value.
    Ever see the Simpsons where Homer hocks Lisa's violin for a poker game and fat Tony's goon says "Well, it isn't really worth anything, but the sentimental value is through the roof!"?

I'm the same way. The first King book my mother bought me (and she has since bought me at least two dozen) is a 1st/1st but isn't worth anything, but I'd never sell it for any price. Nah, that's a lie. 100 grand gets it. It's a beat to shit copy of Misery. Also, this is the only time in my life I wished I was older, I coulda had 1sts from Carrie on if I was 50+.

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by skyofcrack View Post
    I'll tell ya what makes a serious King collector, one who does not sell even when they are homeless and living in their car. Just one book got away. One.

Also, when you have no money yet you are still trying to find a way to buy more books.
    YES!!!!!!!!

I gotta ask, what book?

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post

I gotta ask, what book?
    My S/L of Christine which I had since 1984.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

You know you are a Serious Collector... When an Award Winning Author writes a novel about the time you kept Miranda Grey captive in your house & Stephen King writes a 10 page introduction about it. FREDERICK CLEGG
    Spoiler:

Gunslinger Apprentice mcdonaldj will become famous soon enough mcdonaldj's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by The Library Policeman View Post
    Spending money on one book that makes other people (namely non collectors and spouses) look at you in disbelief. Usually followed by the words - "Really?? For a book??" This makes you a serious collector IMO.
    Yep, agreed.

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

The first King book my mother bought me (and she has since bought me at least two dozen) is a 1st/1st but isn't worth anything, but I'd never sell it for any price.
    Yep, mine was her paperback copy of The Dead Zone with the cover torn off. Still go it. Will also sell for 100 grand.
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

You know you are a serious collector, when you have to pay the mailman to deliver you books in person and hide the payments from your wife.

Example of typical methods of accomplishing this situation....
    Spoiler:
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

"2. Expending little/no effort and little/no money: Not serious collector."

I disagree. You dont necessarily have to spend a LOT to be a serious collector. I personnally dont have much money, but i hunt some items. I found some after years of hunting and was lucky to get them for a very small cost.

I also started collecting foreign books from another author. Within a month or so, I now have like 5 of them. I didnt necessarily spend a lot.
    What about the guy that is trying to gather every single VHS of the movie SPEED. And buying them as cheaply as possible, if not free?
    >> I think that this qualifies as a serious collector.

I think that the most important 'thing' for the definition would be : the consistancy of the hunt.
    Someone that spends time to create a collection (no matter how expensive it is), and collecting over a period of time.
    And if someone just started collecting, if he goes on a buying spree and then continue to gather stuff over time then yes, i would say that this person becomes a "serious collector".

The main thing is not to be a "serious collector", but to be happy with whather your collection is. Even if you cannot
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    They never smile....even with a new P&J...
    Now that is serious.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    Spoiler:
    WHEN YOU HAVE TO BUY A BOOK ON TIME PAYMENTS!

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    I don't think it necessarily has to do with money, but I agree with The Library Policeman--when you start buying books with a price tag that has non-collectors' jaws dropping, it a good indication you are a serious collector. And when you start buying lots of bookcases with doors to protect your books, it a good indication you are a serious collector. And when you start dropping hundreds of dollars to buy slipcases, Brodart covers, etc., just to protect your books, it a good indication you are a serious collector.

I think for me, it was when I first went to The Strand in NYC. I found my way to the Rare Book Room and went nuts. It's where I bought my first collectible DT books. It's where I bought my first ARCs/proofs (think I picked up 3 that day). And its where I got The Road to the Dark Tower signed by Bev Vincent. I walked out with 2 large shopping bags and a dazed look on my face, having spent a few dollars on clearance books and almost $600 in the Rare Book Room. It was a lovely day!
    I think most people would agree:

1. Expending significant effort and significant money: Serious collector.
    2. Expending little/no effort and little/no money: Not serious collector.

But what are people's thoughts on:

3. Expending little/no effort and significant money. (i.e. you just go on Betts one day, buy a copy of every different King book listed for asking price, and all of a sudden have a collection worth $80,000 dollars (or whatever), that you paid 120,000 dollars for.
    4. Expending significant effort and little money.

It seems most people would agree 4 is a serious collector (and I do as well), but what about 3? I'd say they are. Or at least could be. Could be they're a 1,000 dollar an hour lawyer that loves the shit out of King, wants an amazing collection, but is better off spending his time lawyering than pissing around with eBay and forums for hours at a time. But then I also tilt back the other way a little, and think that if he's really seriously interested and serious about collecting, wouldn't he make some time even if it wasn't financially advantageous?
    I think 4 is more of a serious collector than 3, although 3 could be in time. For me, it's more of an "effort and passion" thing than a monetary thing. Like you said (and I misunderstood) just going out and buying a couple hundred dollars worth of hardcovers at once to "complete" your collection doesn't make one a serious collector. Neither does blowing $120k at Bett's at one time to complete your collection either.

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

These two things right here. What can I sell to buy more books, and what is the one thing I'd never sell??

Country
    Country Flag

A collector is anyone who would spend the time discussing the meaning of being a serious collector. A collector is a person who looks for something specific to add to a set they intend to hold on to.

A serious collector is anyone who is often conscious of their collection or collecting goals as contrasted by a casual collector who is occasionally conscious of such.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

How about someone who will go through 50 copies in a stack of new books to find that perfect copy with no blemishes then put it in a plastic bag (which he brought to the store specifically for the book) then take it to the register and NOT let the clerk take it from you but gently show them the UPC code through the bag so it can be scanned. Then, pay and get the book safely home and into a Brodart cover ASAP! Serious Collector, OCD or both?

Citizen of Gilead thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

A serious book collector is all in the eyes of the book holder.
    "Absorb the genius of the moment." -Michael Stipe
    "Victory is sweet even deep in the cheap seats." -Connor Oberst
    NEED:

One For Road Signed Artist Edition, PS Publishing
    The Gunslinger Viking proof
    Carrie $7.95 Doubleday later printing

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    They never smile....even with a new P&J...
    LOL.

This.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

How about someone who will go through 50 copies in a stack of new books to find that perfect copy with no blemishes then put it in a plastic bag (which he brought to the store specifically for the book) then take it to the register and NOT let the clerk take it from you but gently show them the UPC code through the bag so it can be scanned. Then, pay and get the book safely home and into a Brodart cover ASAP! Serious Collector, OCD or both?
    Someone who's not a collector at all might do that if they had massive OCD, so it could go either way.

Gunslinger Apprentice Papaseraphim will become famous soon enough Papaseraphim will become famous soon enough Papaseraphim's Avatar

A real collector would definitely buy a book bound in human skin!

Harvard confirms antique book is bound in human skin

The absence of a thing, this can be as deadly as the presence. The absence of air, eh?
    The absence of water? The absence of anything else we're addicted to.

- Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Papaseraphim View Post

I would sooooo have a book bound in human skin in my collection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Papaseraphim View Post

I would sooooo have a book bound in human skin in my collection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'll bind a book in my own skin.

Spoiler:
    If it's my foreskin, the book will only be trade size, not Octavo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast