Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Eddie and Susannah

Gunslinger Apprentice Allie is on a distinguished road Allie's Avatar

Default Eddie and Susannah

Do you think they would have fallen in love under different circumstances?

Traveler dbarnetth is on a distinguished road

I don't. The only way they could have had an opportunity to was when Odetta was being Detta, because that would be the only time when they might be hanging out in the same general area in NYC. I don't think Eddie could have fallen for Detta because she was such a jerk!

Of course, even my theory disregards the fact that the timelines wouldn't have matched up. She would have been much older.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

"different circumstance" Allie mentioned may involve such course of event that would obliterate the timelines idea just as successfully as the actual course of events did.

My own answer is yes (minus timelines and all that).

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think that susannah wouldn't have been "created" without the help of Eddie and Roland. They help put her two halves together and that is who eddie loves. He was falling in love with Odetta but i don't think he truly loved her until she was susannah.

So, do i think they would've fallen in love under different circumstances? No, because I don't think it could have been anyother way.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

the question was "Eddie and Susannah". If we assume the circumstances were such that timelines didn't matter and she was already Susannah (whoever had helped her), would they have fallen in love? I think yes, they would.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Eddie and Susannah, yes
    Eddie and Detta or Odetta, nope.
    However... I am not so sure about the Odetta part.

Thank you for the good question, Allie.

Roland would have understood.

Country
    Country Flag

I agree with Nikolett... although I think there may be a course of events as a result of which Eddie would have helped Detta/Odetta to become Susannah even without any Roland.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

And I know I am boring but I must repeat myself - we must never forget that both (Detta and Odetta) were gunslingers. I don't know what would have happened to them without any help... but I am sure they wouldn't have lived their whole life that way. One of them would have won or they would have become Susannah anyway.

Roland would have understood.

Country
    Country Flag

what you call "boring" I usually call "insightful"

Gunslinger Apprentice Allie is on a distinguished road Allie's Avatar

What pushes me towards thinking that they would have fallen in love anyway is that
    Spoiler:
    in book 7 when Susannah went through the door to the alternate world with Eddie and Jake, and although her memories were fading she was drawn to Eddie anyway

so maybe circumstance wasnt what drew them together, maybe there was just some kind of chemistry between them.

Goldmember Míchéal is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

HE"S BACK, CAtch HIM...BAD SPAM...

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    What pushes me towards thinking that they would have fallen in love anyway is that
    Spoiler:
    in book 7 when Susannah went through the door to the alternate world with Eddie and Jake, and although her memories were fading she was drawn to Eddie anyway

so maybe circumstance wasnt what drew them together, maybe there was just some kind of chemistry between them.
    I agree. My answer was goingto be much simpler which was : Ka.
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

John F. Kennedy mallory is on a distinguished road mallory's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ka. I think they would have either way... its love..
    WHAT HAS A BED BUT NEVER SLEEPS ...

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

yes i think they would have. Susannah is such a great character to begin with & so is Eddie. & they are such strong people. each have their own demons they conquer. & if the end of the series which i actually haven't read yet. but my brother told me how the series ends.

it to me seems like that KA is a big factor in everything. if they hadn't been drawn & if Eddie was in (1963) if he lived during that time i mean.
    they prolly would have found one another anyways. If there are worlds than these.

i wasn't sure if i should put any spoiler in this post so if i ruined anything i apologize also you can see i'm new here so bear with me.

Along the Path of the Beam Rice Dancer is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Cynical

The Eddie/Susannah/Detta/Odetta thing never really interested me much personally. I kind of found them to be that annoying couple that's always making out in the corner.

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

the only thing about the 2nd "DT" book that takes some time getting used to after you get used to all the members of the Ka-Tet is that there's no Jake in the 2nd book. which makes sense actually. but it's just odd not to have jake in it that's all.

anyways. also i've never had a problem with Eddie & Susannah as a couple. my favorite part of the entire series at least as far as i've read is when Henry Dean is playing Trivia Pursuit with those mobsters.

Traveler Steelrat is on a distinguished road Steelrat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Of course Eddie and Odetta/Detta/Susanah would have ended up together. It's obvious, to me anyway, that Eddie suffered 'love at first sight', or close to it. He falls in love with her so quickly in the book, and the same can be said of her. Now the argument can be made that they just clung to each other because they were the only two people beside Roland IN THE WORLD ( at least as far as they knew ). They were both afraid of Roland at that point, so they had that in common. Eddie still loved Odetta even when he experienced what a deranged bitch Detta was.

In the end it was Ka, and they would have been together, imho

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Of course bad fanfic would have included Detta speaking as she spoke when they first met during the hardcore sex scenes.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Steelrat View Post
    Of course Eddie and Odetta/Detta/Susanah would have ended up together. It's obvious, to me anyway, that Eddie suffered 'love at first sight', or close to it. He falls in love with her so quickly in the book, and the same can be said of her.
    While I think that was very much the case with Eddie, I got the impression it was a slower process for Odetta/Susannah. I think it happened quickly but I don't really think it was Love at first sight for her. I also get the impression later that he loves her more than she loves him*, although they were both very much in love. And I do think their circumstances; their need for each other, were a large factor of that. Which isn't to say it wasn't Ka of course as all things serve Ka.

*I don't intend that last statement to be disparaging of Susannah's character. She could be pretty annoying but she was a great well rounded** character.

**Insert lady-lump 'twins' gag here. No, I honestly didn't mean it like that...

+ Reply to Thread