Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Short Story Battle Royale: Bracket Two, Round One

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Default ROUND OVER! Short Story Battle Royale: Bracket Two, Round One

128 short stories, one winner! Choose your favorite short story in each of the battles below. The winners will advance until we have one winner per bracket. There are four brackets. Those bracket winners will then face off against each other. The short story in each of the battles that gets five votes first wins, that's when voting for that battle will end. You can vote in all, some, or none of the battles, it's up to you. Have fun!

Bracket Two, Round One

BATTLE OVER! 1. "Nona" (3) vs."Word Processor of the Gods” (5)

BATTLE OVER! 2. "The Reploids" (1) vs. "The Last Rung on the Ladder" (5)

BATTLE OVER! 3. "Jerusalem's Lot" (3) vs. "All That You Love Will Be Carried Away" (5)

BATTLE OVER! 4. "Quitters, Inc." (5) vs. "The Other Side of the Fog" (0)

BATTLE OVER! 5. "The Ledge" (5) vs. "Mute" (1)

BATTLE OVER! 6. "The Little Green God of Agony" (5) vs. "I've Got to Get Away!" (0)

BATTLE OVER! 7. "Premium Harmony" (1) vs. "1408" (5)

BATTLE OVER! 8. "Everything's Eventual" (4) vs. "N." (5)

BATTLE OVER! 9. "Popsy" (5) vs. "It Grows on You" (2)

BATTLE OVER! 10. "Under the Weather" (1) vs. "Gramma" (5)

BATTLE OVER! 11. "Stationary Bike" (5) vs. "The 43rd Dream" (0)

BATTLE OVER! 12. "Sometimes They Come Back" (4) vs. "The Moving Finger" (5)

BATTLE OVER! 13. "For the Birds" (0) vs. "Battleground" (5)

BATTLE OVER! 14. "The New Lieutenant's Rap" (2) vs. "The End of the Whole Mess" (5)

BATTLE OVER! 15. "I Am the Doorway" (4) vs. "The Cat from Hell" (5)

BATTLE OVER! 16. "The Thing at the Bottom of the Well" (5) vs. "Rush Call" (0)

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

My Picks:

1. "Word Processor of the Gods”
    2. "The Last Rung on the Ladder"
    3. "All That You Love Will Be Carried Away"
    4. "Quitters, Inc."
    5. "Mute"
    6. NONE
    7. "1408"
    8. "N."
    9. "Popsy"
    10. "Gramma"
    11. "Stationary Bike"
    12. "Sometimes They Come Back"
    13. "Battleground"
    14. NONE
    15. "The Cat from Hell"
    16. "The Thing at the Bottom of the Well"

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Bracket Two, Round One

2. "The Reploids"

3. "Jerusalem's Lot"

4. "Quitters, Inc."

5. "The Ledge"

6. "The Little Green God of Agony"

7. "1408"

8. "Everything's Eventual"

9. "It Grows on You"

10. "Gramma"

11. "Stationary Bike"

13. "Battleground"

14. "The New Lieutenant's Rap"

15. "The Cat from Hell"

DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

1. "Nona"

9. "Popsy"

15. "I Am the Doorway"

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post

Bracket Two, Round One

1. "Nona" vs."Word Processor of the Gods”

2. "The Reploids" vs. "The Last Rung on the Ladder"

3. "Jerusalem's Lot" vs. "All That You Love Will Be Carried Away"

4. "Quitters, Inc." vs. "The Other Side of the Fog"

5. "The Ledge" vs. "Mute"

6. "The Little Green God of Agony" vs. "I've Got to Get Away!"

7. "Premium Harmony" vs. "1408"

8. "Everything's Eventual" vs. "N."

9. "Popsy" vs. "It Grows on You"

10. "Under the Weather" vs. "Gramma"

11. "Stationary Bike" vs. "The 43rd Dream"

12. "Sometimes They Come Back" vs. "The Moving Finger"

13. "For the Birds" vs. "Battleground"

14. "The New Lieutenant's Rap" vs. "The End of the Whole Mess"

15. "I Am the Doorway" vs. "The Cat from Hell"

16. "The Thing at the Bottom of the Well" vs. "Rush Call"
    Votes bolded. Go Nona!

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

3. "Jerusalem's Lot"
    4. "Quitters, Inc."
    5. "The Ledge"
    7. "1408"
    8. "N."
    9. "Popsy"
    10. "Gramma"
    11. "Stationary Bike"
    12. "The Moving Finger"
    13. "Battleground"
    14. "The New Lieutenant's Rap"
    15. "I Am the Doorway"
    16. ?

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd have to reread all these to make a fair assessment. By the time I was done, the vote would be long over.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep. I recommend checking out Wikipedia and reading the synopsis's's's.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

bears can vote on number #4 now:

4. "Quitters, Inc."

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

1. "Nona"

2. "The Last Rung on the Ladder" (3)

3. "Jerusalem's Lot" (

4. "Quitters, Inc."

5. "The Ledge"

7. "1408"

9. "Popsy"

10. "Gramma" (3)

11. "Stationary Bike"

12. . "The Moving Finger" (2)

13. "Battleground" (4)

14. "The End of the Whole Mess" (1)

15. "The Cat from Hell" (2)

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

2."The Last Rung on the Ladder"

5. "The Ledge"

7. "1408"

8. "N."

11. "Stationary Bike" (4)

13. "Battleground"

15. "I Am the Doorway"

Demon of the Prim stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Inspired

My Picks:

1. "Word Processor of the Gods"

5. "The Ledge"

7. "1408"

9. "Popsy"

10. "Gramma"

11. "Stationary Bike"

12. "The Moving Finger"

13. "Battleground"

14. "The End of the Whole Mess"

15. "The Cat from Hell"

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

my pick = bold

Bracket Two, Round One

1. "Nona" vs."Word Processor of the Gods” (obvious choice; I did not care for "Nona" much at all)

2. "The Reploids" vs. "The Last Rung on the Ladder" (obvious choice; "The Last Rung on the Ladder" is my all-time favorite short story ever)

3. "Jerusalem's Lot" vs. "All That You Love Will Be Carried Away" (Lovecraftian overtones win out!)

4. "Quitters, Inc." vs. "The Other Side of the Fog" (a cheat on my part; I've never heard of "The Other Side of the Fog" but "Quitters, Inc." gets 4 stars [my highest rating] so it automatically wins)

5. "The Ledge" vs. "Mute" ("Mute" was ok, but I loved "The Ledge")

6. "The Little Green God of Agony" vs. "I've Got to Get Away!" (no vote: not familiar with either story)

7. "Premium Harmony" vs. "1408" (a cheat on my part; I've never heard of "Premium Harmony" but "1408" gets 4 stars so it automatically wins)

8. "Everything's Eventual" vs. "N." (close vote: I liked both quite a bit, but maybe "N." just a little more)

9. "Popsy" vs. "It Grows on You" (clear winner; did not care for "It Grows on You" much at all)

10. "Under the Weather" vs. "Gramma" (no vote: never heard of "Under the Weather" and "Gramma" did absolutely nothing for me, so can't give it any points)

11. "Stationary Bike" vs. "The 43rd Dream" (no vote: never heard of "The 43rd Dream" and "Stationary Bike" was really lame, so can't give it any points)

12. "Sometimes They Come Back" vs. "The Moving Finger" (but both were pretty "meh")

13. "For the Birds" vs. "Battleground" (a cheat on my part; I've never heard of "For the Birds" but "Battleground" gets 4 stars so it automatically wins)

14. "The New Lieutenant's Rap" vs. "The End of the Whole Mess" (no vote: while I liked "The End of the Whole Mess" quite a bit (3 stars), I haven't read "The New Lieutenant's Rap")

15. "I Am the Doorway" vs. "The Cat from Hell" (liked it a bit better)

16. "The Thing at the Bottom of the Well" vs. "Rush Call" (no vote: not familiar with either of these)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Dive, I can understand you not being aware of very early stories like The 43rd Dream or The Thing at the Bottom of the Well, but stories like Premium Harmony and The Little Green God of Agony are very recent stories, and any new stories are always discussed over at The Oracle and usually Calvin's Corner, too.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm not complaining in this thread. Just posting the rationale for my votes or lack thereof.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I'm sure most members here are hardcore enough to have read most if not all of the uncollected stories.
    Allow me my fun to play even though I am obviously out of my element compared to the "real" King fans around here.

Country
    Country Flag

I didn't say you were complaining. I just don't want you missing out on these stories.

Country
    Country Flag

Added:

2. The Reploids
    13. Battleground

Country
    Country Flag

yes, I know that The Last Rung has won, but can you add my vote to the Reploids score anyway?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

14. The End Of The Whole Mess

16. The Thing At The Bottom Of The Well
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

1) Results updated.

2) Jean, once one of the stories in the battle reaches five votes, the battle is over.

Country
    Country Flag

I see... what a pity...

Country
    Country Flag

Poor Nona.

Country
    Country Flag

yes, I voted Nona, too

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

How did Doorway lose to the cat from hell? That's my vote for spoiler in this bracket thus far.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Stebbins View Post
    How did Doorway lose to the cat from hell?
    Shame.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast