Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions and Comments on our Catalogs

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Illustrations? ARCs? Proofs? Books about King? Books King didn't write but wrote introductions and signed the limited editions (e.g. Life in the Cinema, Ideal Genuine Man, etc.)?

This Catalog has plenty of room to people busy for a good long time.

Awesome.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

wow I take a few days off and I come back to this. I have to say that's some great work Matt, it looks fantastic!

And I agree with Patrick, there is plenty to keep everyone busy to add proof's 1st paperbacks, etc... This pretty much already is, and will be the best King reference on the web. Great stuff guys!

and, I'll try to chip in too!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I will be more than glad to share the pictures of what I own. I just don't have the time right now to supply anything but pictures of the front covers.
    John
    I would think a picture/scan of the front cover and identifying comments where they may have been more than one state of a proof would be more than enough to start with.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Matt, you could edit the original entry, but given the amount of work that will take, it might be simpler (and less cluttered?) to just make illustrations the first discussion post. A lot of the illustrations are already in that one thread, so there's a head start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Sounds good you guys, I really like the idea of having the illustrations attached to the book. In a lot of cases, that is what makes them unique.

I will figure out the easiest way to make it happen. ...
    I tried something for a working example. Go check out the Discussion thread attached to the WIZARD AND GLASS Signed/Limited edition and see what you think. (It's split into two posts because of the ten images/post limit.)
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought I upped that limit. There were a few that needed more than that.

I think that works okay Patrick--I'm not sure if it wouldn't be better to have it on the main article. Could we maybe put something in the main article that says..."view discussion for illustrations"

Now, the idea that someone else could work on this when they have time is very cool to me so thank you for throwing it out there Patrick. Whatever we decide, its great to have a few hands.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post
    wow I take a few days off and I come back to this. I have to say that's some great work Matt, it looks fantastic!

And I agree with Patrick, there is plenty to keep everyone busy to add proof's 1st paperbacks, etc... This pretty much already is, and will be the best King reference on the web. Great stuff guys!

and, I'll try to chip in too!
    Thanks man, this think is cool as shit and I love the fact that its been received so well.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought I upped that limit. There were a few that needed more than that.

I think that works okay Patrick--I'm not sure if it wouldn't be better to have it on the main article. Could we maybe put something in the main article that says..."view discussion for illustrations"

Now, the idea that someone else could work on this when they have time is very cool to me so thank you for throwing it out there Patrick. Whatever we decide, its great to have a few hands.
    Just trying something that would save dear ol' Matt a little work. It's not like you're going to run out of tasks any time soon.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Matt, is there any way for the site to show:

1) which entries actually have Discussion in their threads (vs. the empty discussion threads);

and/or

2) which entry threads have new discussion that a member has not yet read (like the regular forum threads on the site).

I'd hate to miss discussion on the books, but I can't check every thread all the time either. I know the Palaver or Restaurant or Calvin's forums will show which one has the most recent entry, but that's only a start.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I just added the 23 images of illustrations to the Discussion thread for the SONG OF SUSANNAH signed/limited edition in the Catalog.

Matt, given the quantity of illustrations that some of these books have, I think it best to put the pics in the Discussion thread rather than add them to the 5 or so images of the book itself in main article.

Regarding your idea about alerting people, it's a good one. To save editing every article, you could just add a statement on the main page of the Catalog saying that many of the articles have artwork from the books posted in their corresponding Discussion threads.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

In many ways, the illustrations, ceratinly in regards to scanning/photo, cropping, editing, uploading are FAR FAR more labor intensive than the images for the books as there are many many pieces per book. Granted not all King books are illustrated, but believe me I feel the pain of all who are helping-it just takes time.
    I do think it is best to "tie" each work to the proper book-therefore are we doing duplicate work by posting in the Illustration thread, then posting in each books thread?

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    In many ways, the illustrations, ceratinly in regards to scanning/photo, cropping, editing, uploading are FAR FAR more labor intensive than the images for the books as there are many many pieces per book. Granted not all King books are illustrated, but believe me I feel the pain of all who are helping-it just takes time.
    I do think it is best to "tie" each work to the proper book-therefore are we doing duplicate work by posting in the Illustration thread, then posting in each books thread?
    I suppose so. But it allows those who just want to upload pics and links in a hurry to do - a division of labor perhaps.

Also, not all those artwork photos are actually scanned by our members. Some are links to the artist's websites, such as the 23 links to Song of Susannah artwork for example. That saves tons of time, although perhaps we should acknowledge not just the artist but their website/company as well in those cases.

Another question: Different editions (signed vs. gift, for example) that have the same artwork. Do we post in each thread or just post in the "highest value book" thread and add a link in the other discussion threads?

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

You know...I've been thinking about the illustrations and I think the best thing we can do (in order to upload all just once), is to make a collection (like Jerome, Patrick, Terry or mine) named "Illustrations", and that we can upload those images there.
    That way it'd be organized.

Just a comment.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

That is a great suggestion Ari and I took everything folks said for the idea on how to do it. But I noticed you already saw that thread.

1) which entries actually have Discussion in their threads (vs. the empty discussion threads);

and/or

2) which entry threads have new discussion that a member has not yet read (like the regular forum threads on the site).
    Its funny about this Patrick. I wondered from the very beginning how it was done and the developer of the software said he simply didn't take it into account when building it. I think the idea of having a "discussion" attached to a "wiki" entry is pretty new since most wikis are basically research based. We may have the only kind you can add comments to.

So after all that, he is adding it to the next version which should be out in a few days, I am hoping it will also fix and image bug that is in there.

For now, the thread is "bumped" when there is a discussion so that is a start but its going to need to be fixed as we go into the future.

I believe he is going to make any article with new discussion posts since the last time a member visited to appear bold.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

That is a great suggestion Ari and I took everything folks said for the idea on how to do it. But I noticed you already saw that thread.

and/or

Its funny about this Patrick. I wondered from the very beginning how it was done and the developer of the software said he simply didn't take it into account when building it. I think the idea of having a "discussion" attached to a "wiki" entry is pretty new since most wikis are basically research based. We may have the only kind you can add comments to.

So after all that, he is adding it to the next version which should be out in a few days, I am hoping it will also fix an image bug that is in there.

For now, the thread is "bumped" when there is a discussion so that is a start but its going to need to be fixed as we go into the future.

I believe he is going to make any article with new discussion posts since the last time a member visited to appear bold.
    Awesome. Thanks!

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Questions on our Catalogs

While in this forum, you will encounter two Stephen King catalogs that are unique to the internet. One is Collectibles the other is Illustrations

The King Catalog

The King Illustrations Catalog

Catalogs Explained:

The Catalogs are simply forums formatted differently. The "articles" are threads and the first post is the main "page" for the article, the comments are subsequent posts in that thread (article). Same thing, different view

One thread (article) is used as the forums main page, the rest are alphabetized underneath for easy access.

The goal is a comprehensive research catalog where members can easily find a book and view its illustrations easily.

These two catalogs are a collaborative effort by the members of this site. They have painstakingly gathered information on the two subjects and posted them here.

The forums are formated using NuWiki which takes an established forum and indexes it while graphically displaying the first post in each thread.

If you have any questions on how to comment on the articles or how to contribute to the project in anyway, please use this thread for that purpose

Please enjoy these great reference manuals on behalf of all of us at TheDarkTower.com

We must insist you do not copy or redistribute any material in our catalogs. The images and text are owned and its also not very nice.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I will use this right away and let everyone know the Illustrations Catalog is now "wikified". I really appreciate all the hard work, the articles look great!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice work Matt. Thanks.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've put some comments on the Listing of all illustrations..
    If you (Mark) could have a look at it...

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Me?

Thanks Jerome

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay, I went and read the comments and I assume you are talking about this one. I would love to leave the questions in this thread so they are easier for me to track.

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest
    Something i dont like about the wikipedia versions : we dont really see easily when someone have posted something, where it is..
    I mean... there is no sign near the topics, saying : here there is a new message...
    No way to try to do it? would be very useful according to me...

Would it also be able to put a link to this thread (listing) in the main text of the Wiki page?
    as well as a link to the Rare Illustrations thread...
    just to being able to browse more easily...
    To answer the first part of your question, the wiki is designed to be an article system. All it does is categorize the threads we created alphabetically for ease of browsing. It has a comment system but its not really for discussion, its supposed to be about commenting on the article.

So you are right, that is a drawback and I believe the person who developed the software is figuring out a way to notify on new comments, perhaps making the article title bold for instance.

The second part of your question is pretty easy, we can insert web links into any of the articles to re-reference any part of the catalog

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Great job, Matt. Thanks to all the contributors for all your efforts!

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Okay, I went and read the comments and I assume you are talking about this one. I would love to leave the questions in this thread so they are easier for me to track.
    that's exactly what i am saying... it's hard to see where there is new comments...

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest
    Would it also be able to put a link to this thread (listing) in the main text of the Wiki page?
    as well as a link to the Rare Illustrations thread...
    just to being able to browse more easily...
    The second part of your question is pretty easy, we can insert web links into any of the articles to re-reference any part of the catalog[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but could someone in the King Illustrations Catalog subject, put a link to the LISTING & RARE illustrations subjects?
    To kind of separe them of the others... so it would be something such as :

The King Illustrations Catalog

- Listing of all illustrations...
    - Rare illustrations

**Attention TheDarkTower.com Members**

This forum has been changed to wiki format for ease of browsing. Comments can now be read by viewing the article and clicking on "comments" in the bottom right.

This catalog is intended for references purposes only--please do not copy or redistribute any of its content.

This page and the entire catalog will be updated further as time goes on, please let one of the staff know if you would like to help

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

that's exactly what i am saying... it's hard to see where there is new comments...
    Yep, its a drawback. Its designed to be an article system and not a discussion system like a regular forum thread.

I researched it a bit since your question and it looks like most people simply turn off the ability to comment on the articles. But I like it so we have the lesser of two evils I believe

Yeah, but could someone in the King Illustrations Catalog subject, put a link to the LISTING & RARE illustrations subjects?
    To kind of separe them of the others... so it would be something such as :
    Oh yeah, doing that is very easy. Just a matter of figuring out what they need to be and adding them. If you look at the main page for the Collectibles Catalog (the other one) you will see links to other stuff all over it.

Randall Flagg is the head man on this so decisions on what should be linked on the main page are going to be up to him but its a very easy thing to do.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Whatever you wish to do Matt. It would be nice to be aware of what's being posted.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Sure, I would love that too. What I have been trying to say is the format does not allow for it.

Would you guys like to suspend the "wikification" of the Illustrations catalog indefinitely until that issue is resolved?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast