Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Michael Haneke, Lars Von Trier, Ingmar Bergman

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Melancholia was PAINFUL to sit through. Horrible characters, pretty much zero storyline, not interesting in the least, etc etc. I think the director muct have had beastiality sex tapes offered up as blackmail of Kiefer Sutherland and Alexander Skarsgaard because their talent and acting skills had no place in that piece of shit. Beautiful movie, yes, the way it's shot, yes, but big deal? Please, someone, anyone, tell me what was so "great" about this movie.

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Also, here is a pretty cool interview he was featured in yesterday.

"Art doesn't offer answers, only questions."
    Do you know this documentarys?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQDmGE01pWw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LequCRuuhk

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Melancholia was PAINFUL to sit through. Horrible characters, pretty much zero storyline, not interesting in the least, etc etc. I think the director muct have had beastiality sex tapes offered up as blackmail of Kiefer Sutherland and Alexander Skarsgaard because their talent and acting skills had no place in that piece of shit. Beautiful movie, yes, the way it's shot, yes, but big deal? Please, someone, anyone, tell me what was so "great" about this movie.
    Serious question, do you watch foreign films?

I ask because many foreign films - ESPECIALLY by Haneke and Trier - are exercises in allegory. Here we have two sisters, one who is depressed -Justine- and one who accepts it the world as it is - Claire. The accepting one tries to help the depressed one. Once they learn that the Earth is doomed, their roles are reversed. Justine becomes the accepting one and Claire drowns in despair and loses all hope. The looming planet, an external threat and the cause of Justine's anguish, is a physical representation of the emotional storm that burned inside of Justine's mind and soul. Trier wanted to show how frail our physical and emotional tether to this world is; it's very reminscent of the shot in Funny Games with the shot of the broken eggs, an allegorical touch employed to represent how fragile our existence really is.

Jean - you were spot on in wanting to combine Haneke and Trier my friend!

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep. I watch some foreign films, but not many. I understand metaphors and allegory, but the movie itself was damn boring. A few of us have had this discussion before, regarding "boring" movies, and I was in the minority (I think, at the time) that boring movies, slow, dull, movies, are not interesting and/or exciting, therefore, they do not do anything for me.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Yep. I watch some foreign films, but not many. I understand metaphors and allegory, but the movie itself was damn boring. A few of us have had this discussion before, regarding "boring" movies, and I was in the minority (I think, at the time) that boring movies, slow, dull, movies, are not interesting and/or exciting, therefore, they do not do anything for me.
    I'm with you to a certain degree. I've mentioned this before other places and here I'm sure, my biggest pet peeve right now with Indy films is that they are really slow and minimalistic. I can't tell you how many Indy films end with that abrupt fade to black making the viewer decide the ending on their own. I'm not saying I need everything explained, but being mysterious and subliminal is starting to get pretentious.

I will give you an example. I watched Beasts of the Southern Wild the other day and the people in the film live in filth and shacks and their quality of life really isn't great. When a flood comes, they refuse to leave the area and be rescued. They will be brought to shelters where they would get warm meals and a nice bed to sleep in, yet they don't want any part of it. As a viewer, it makes them seem insane. I just can't possibly understand why they would want to keep living in "the Bathtub."

All I wanted was one scene between two characters expressing why they love living in "the Bathtub" and what it means to them. I could have written that scene in 5 minutes and it would have done wonders for the film. Now, I'm not an idiot. I understand the message they are trying to convey. To be happy with what you have no matter how little it is. Here are these people who have nothing, yet they are happy. How many people have everything, but are miserable?

Since it's an Indy film, they let the viewer fill in the blanks. This isn't a Mad Lib. It's a movie, I want more.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Well that review definitely doesn't make me want to see the film I was surprised by all the love it was getting at the Oscars.

I enjoyed Melancholia. Yes it was very slow, but it didn't really bother me. And that last scene was probably one of the most intense scenes I've ever seen in a film. Shannon, please tell me you enjoyed that part at least?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here we have two sisters, one who is depressed -Justine- and one who accepts it the world as it is - Claire. The accepting one tries to help the depressed one. Once they learn that the Earth is doomed, their roles are reversed. Justine becomes the accepting one and Claire drowns in despair and loses all hope. The looming planet, an external threat and the cause of Justine's anguish, is a physical representation of the emotional storm that burned inside of Justine's mind and soul.
    YES, YES, YES. Thank you, feev.

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    my biggest pet peeve right now with Indy films is that they are really slow and minimalistic. I can't tell you how many Indy films end with that abrupt fade to black making the viewer decide the ending on their own. I'm not saying I need everything explained, but being mysterious and subliminal is starting to get pretentious.

[...]

Since it's an Indy film, they let the viewer fill in the blanks. This isn't a Mad Lib. It's a movie, I want more.
    Agree with what you said here, especially about mysterious endings and being indie film's lately leaning toward being "artsy" for artsy's sake as getting old and pretentious. Well stated.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

well, how is everyone doing? bears:

Das weiße Band
    Benny's Video

tonight will be watching Le temps du loup

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I didn't find Melanchola slow or boring. I think it's the type of film that you get out more of on the second viewing.

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Some time ago i watched again Roman Herzogs Fitzkaraldo, inkl. the amazing doko. about the film produktion in the dschungel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75ADI9p2wHY

The filming was probably really the absolute madness. Klaus Kinski runs arround in the night with a real gun and fired arround..
    It got so bad that the natives, hired as extras offered to kill Kinski for Herzog.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...4ZDUNycec&NR=1

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    well, how is everyone doing? bears:

Das weiße Band
    Benny's Video

tonight will be watching Le temps du loup
    None of these - and White Ribbon - are on Netflix instant play

Will have to find alternate means ...

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

well, bears are advancing at a fast pace:

Das weiße Band
    Benny's Video
    Le temps du loup
    Caché

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I'm with you to a certain degree. I've mentioned this before other places and here I'm sure, my biggest pet peeve right now with Indy films is that they are really slow and minimalistic. I can't tell you how many Indy films end with that abrupt fade to black making the viewer decide the ending on their own. I'm not saying I need everything explained, but being mysterious and subliminal is starting to get pretentious.

I will give you an example. I watched Beasts of the Southern Wild the other day and the people in the film live in filth and shacks and their quality of life really isn't great. When a flood comes, they refuse to leave the area and be rescued. They will be brought to shelters where they would get warm meals and a nice bed to sleep in, yet they don't want any part of it. As a viewer, it makes them seem insane. I just can't possibly understand why they would want to keep living in "the Bathtub."

All I wanted was one scene between two characters expressing why they love living in "the Bathtub" and what it means to them. I could have written that scene in 5 minutes and it would have done wonders for the film. Now, I'm not an idiot. I understand the message they are trying to convey. To be happy with what you have no matter how little it is. Here are these people who have nothing, yet they are happy. How many people have everything, but are miserable?

I think you might be trying to take the film too literally.

Beasts is Magical Realism. It is mythic. You are not supposed to be able to figure it all out. It should percolate in your subconscious and connect you with the soul of the characters. You are supposed to FEEL the movie.

The film is the most accurate depiction of what it might be like to experience the “reality” events of the storyline through the eyes of a small child that I have ever seen. What is it like to experience hardship as a child? How does it change you? Set you on your life path? You SEE this in the film. You FEEL this in the movie.

The film draws a line between what is real and what Hushpuppy perceives as real. What is real? What the viewer perceives is real or what folks feel and see in their own lives?

You claim that these characters live in filth and shacks and because they are happy they must be insane. It seems like that is viewed through your perspective. The film is very true to life and captures effectively the flavor of New Orleans. Life is a little different down there. Laid back. Easy going. Not as complicated. Have a drink.

I’ve seen the city characterized by others before in negative ways. Dirty. Filthy. Too many Black people. Crime ridden. Poverty everywhere. Drugs. Murder capital of the USA.

But I know from first hand experience that New Orleans is one of the most “magical” places I’ve ever been to. Creative energy. Music. Soul. Zest of Life. Lagniappe (a little something extra). Cultural diversity. Respect.

With the yin, there always comes the yang. Life is shades of gray, not black and white.

Who is right? The outsider who looks at New Orleans (or the Bathtub) as a filthy crime ridden sty, or the Jazz lovers that come from the world over to see where the music was born. It is hard to say. I guess it all depends on how you look at it. The residents of the Bathtub want to stay where they are because it is there reality. It is not filth. The places where they live are not shacks. It is their homes. They are happy because they don’t know any better and don’t WANT any better. They are satisfied and that’s why they don’t want to leave. Life is beautiful if you experience it in the mindset that it is beautiful. Hardship happenes to everyone Rich or Poor. Shack or Mansion. Sooner or later a flood (the literal or metaphorical equivalent) comes along. It is how you deal with the adversity that shapes who you are. In Hushpuppy we see a girl who is troubled with circumstance, but she keeps on doing her own thing

I know how I saw the film. True to life in that part of the country. Mythical. Beautiful. Magical. It made my Heart sing

I saw the film at Sundance last year and knew immediately that Quvenzhané Wallis was going to get an Oscar nod. Am I Nostradamus, no, but I felt it in my heart. I said it right out of my mouth after walking out of the theater. That girl is going to get nominated. And she did. Best breakout performance of a child actor since Shirley Temple. Man I hope she wins it (I don’t think she will, but the nod is all the she needs)

This movie makes you FEEL. Well at least it made me feel. And I think it did the same to many others seeing how much critical acclaim it has gotten and nominations. Some folks just don’t get it, though and that is fine. Each is entitled to their own opinion. We all experience art differently. It is in the eye of the beholder.

Just so you know, you are not the only person I have heard disparaging the film. In fact I’ve heard a few complain. Some folks don’t like that fact that the effects are low budget. They claim it brings em out of the story. But you are not supposed to experience the film in that way. Literal. Straightforward Plot. Suspension of disbelief. This film poses questions and you have to answer them yourself (or dont, that's your prerogative). Take your own meaning from it. It is a visually beautiful feast and plus it is so mythologically deep, that some folks have a hard time understanding it.

Watch it again. Put yourself in the shoes of a resident of the Bathtub. Live life. Question. Experience loss. Love. Take the journey. Be Happy.

(I hope my comments are not offputting. I’m new here and not trying to accuse you of anything by not liking the film, or claim that my perspective is right and yours wrong. Its just a perspective. I mean I can even understand where you are coming from… I just had a completely different experience.)

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Well that review definitely doesn't make me want to see the film I was surprised by all the love it was getting at the Oscars.
    I say give Beasts a chance. Perhaps your experience will be different. Mine sure was. The film is Magical, Mythic, and showcases one of the greatest child performances of all time.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

BAck to topic:

Huge Lars von Trier fan here. Zentropa blew me away. I dug Dogville and Manderlay. Still need to watch Antichrist and Melancholia.

Believe it or not I have never seen a Haneke film. Looks like I got some watching to do...

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lookwhoitis View Post
    BAck to topic:

Huge Lars von Trier fan here. Zentropa blew me away. I dug Dogville and Manderlay. Still need to watch Antichrist and Melancholia.

Believe it or not I have never seen a Haneke film. Looks like I got some watching to do...
    Antichrist and Melancholia are my favorite two films of him. Hope you see both soon.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I wasn't too keen on Dogville to be honest ...

Country
    Country Flag

To be totally honest, I wasn't on any of them.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lookwhoitis View Post
    I'd recommend Funny Games as a launch pad.

To be totally honest, I wasn't on any of them.
    So you took nothing from them at all?

Country
    Country Flag

No, not quite. There are miles between "too keen" and "took nothing". I am exploring the miles at the moment. The only Haneke I (marginally) liked so far was Das weiße Band; the only von Trier - Dogville.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Jean, did you watch Melancholia?

Country
    Country Flag

well, yes and no. I started a number of times, and never finished. Now the same thing is happening with a Haneke movie. Exactly one week ago I stopped halfway through, and have been watching only horrors ever since. This time, however, I am determined. I really really want to watch all of those Nordic guys and understand at last why it is that I hate them so much while others seem to love them. I also dearly hope my friends will help me; I expect elaborate and articulate reviews from everyone who is participating.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

No, not quite. There are miles between "too keen" and "took nothing". I am exploring the miles at the moment. The only Haneke I (marginally) liked so far was Das weiße Band; the only von Trier - Dogville.
    Well when you "explore those miles" let me know lol.

Country
    Country Flag

Well when you "explore those miles" let me know lol.
    No, wait! Are you doing your part? What have you already watched? Don't leave me alone with those cold superhuman judges of mankind.

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Today in the German TV....

Michael Haneke - Liebe zum Kino (A/F, 2013)
    Regie: Yves Montmayeur
    Länge: 58 Min.

23:15 bis 00:15 Uhr
    Bayerisches Fernsehen

A new doku movie about Mr. Haneke
    http://www.br.de/fernsehen/bayerisch...ng-139750.html

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast