Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Michael Haneke, Lars Von Trier, Ingmar Bergman

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Michael Haneke, Lars Von Trier, Ingmar Bergman

re: Haneke

I suppose many of us here are stunned by the guy.

Much as I personally hate his movies (I hope to be able to articulate my feelings after the massive Haneke [re]watch I'm starting tonight), I totally agree that he is one of the greatest.

I suggest that my friends, too, watch or re-watch as much Haneke as humanly (ursinely) possible in the foreseeable future, and we have an extended, in-depth discussion here.

Well, who is willing to have a Big Haneke Bout?

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was floored by his Funny Games.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

bears decided to start with The White Ribbon.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Pretty sure you know what my answer is

And yes, I have been simply floored by his films in the past year or so. Everytime I watch one I have a vicious need to discuss them in depth so this thread will be my fix.

White Ribbon was the first one I watched so I'd be down to renew the cycle with that.

Also, he's in my top 5 now. Nolan, Tarantino, Kubrick, Anderson, Scorsese, Coppola, Carpenter, Spielberg, Park ... one of you needs to get up from their chair and let my boy Haneke sit at the big boys table

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Also, here is a pretty cool interview he was featured in yesterday.

"Art doesn't offer answers, only questions."

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    White Ribbon was the first one I watched so I'd be down to renew the cycle with that.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I also loved Caché. I think it and his own remake of Funny Games are thus far the only two films of his that I've watched but I was absolutely blown the fuck away by both.

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

In Germany we have a 4 DVD Box and a gigantic 10 DVD box with Michael Haneke movies.

http://www.amazon.de/Michael-Haneke-.../dp/3898488470

http://www.amazon.de/Michael-Haneke-.../dp/B005EWE7PI

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Nope, don't like him. I've only seen Cache and Funny Games, but both were a 2/5 for me. Cache was an OK film without resolution, and Funny Games was just strange to be strange. So ... that's my opin! lol

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I suppose many of us here are stunned by the guy.

Much as I personally hate his movies (I hope to be able to articulate my feelings after the massive Haneke [re]watch I'm starting tonight), I totally agree that he is one of the greatest.

I suggest that my friends, too, watch or re-watch as much Haneke as humanly (ursinely) possible in the foreseeable future, and we have an extended, in-depth discussion here.

Wait. You hate his movies, but feel he is one of the greatest and you are re-watching his films.

Have any of you guys seen Amour yet? It was nominated for best picture.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Nope, don't like him. I've only seen Cache and Funny Games, but both were a 2/5 for me. Cache was an OK film without resolution, and Funny Games was just strange to be strange. So ... that's my opin! lol
    It's cool if you don't like them because it's strange, but he never puts stuff in his films 'just because'. He is one of the most meticulous directors I've come across. Hell, even the clothing that his characters wear carries a load of subtext.

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Have any of you guys seen Amour yet? It was nominated for best picture.
    No but I plan to. My co worker has a second job at the Laemlee in Hollywood which is a really popular theater for celebrities to hit up, she met Tarantino a few weeks ago ..

Anyway I digress - she's a big Haneke fan and she said that this is one of her favorite films by him. I'm pretty sure it's going to come away with Oscar gold come award season. Wasn't Haneke also nominated for best director?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

My co worker has a second job at the Laemlee in Hollywood which is a really popular theater for celebrities to hit up, she met Tarantino a few weeks ago ..
    Lucky girl...

I've only seen The White Ribbon, which I loved. Funny Games, which was so so. I think it was just too much for me. And part of Time of the Wolf. I think I gave up on that one for some reason and haven't gone back to rewatch it. Maybe I'll check out Cache next.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

She met Tarantino? Man, it must be great to live in L.A. People must see famous people all over the place.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

Wait. You hate his movies, but feel he is one of the greatest and you are re-watching his films.
    Precisely. I hope to explain myself after the re-watch. "Hating" is not the same as "feeling meh". For example, Spielberg just doesn't exist in my cinema universe, while Haneke does. And looms large. I will elaborate when I'm through with his complete legacy to date.

P.S. Much the same goes for von Trier and Ingmar Bergman.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

No. NO! Bad Bears! Lars Von Trier. Meloncholia. Fucking horrible. The absolute worst movie I have ever seen. ZERO redeemable traits. Yet, of course, I go to imdb to read some reviews and I read "Beautiful! Best film of all time!" Fuck that. Yuck yuck yuck!

I hate the movie, get it? lol

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Think the last movies from Michael Haneke that i saw are..... Benny's Video and Time of the Wolf.....

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

I haven't seen Time of the Wolf and Amour yet.
    He is king of Disturbia.

*I really like Melancholia.

Country
    Country Flag

No. NO! Bad Bears! Lars Von Trier. Meloncholia. Fucking horrible. The absolute worst movie I have ever seen. ZERO redeemable traits. Yet, of course, I go to imdb to read some reviews and I read "Beautiful! Best film of all time!" Fuck that. Yuck yuck yuck!

I haven't been able to watch Melancholia yet, always stopped somewhere three quarters in. I will try some time. Maybe we should have a Nordic thread, for Haneke, Trier and Bergman combined (I don't really see big difference between them).

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I love Melancholia. Lars Van Trier can be a bit of pompous prick but I can't take away anything from his skills as a film maker.

Anyway, getting back on track - when are we starting this rewatch? A week from now? Are we all in agreement to start with White Ribbon?

Maybe we should have a Nordic thread, for Haneke, Trier and Bergman combined (I don't really see big difference between them).
    That's not a bad idea, actually ...

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Melike View Post
    I haven't seen Time of the Wolf and Amour yet.
    He is king of Disturbia.
    Yeah, haven't seen those either. Amour is just out in theaters and Time of the Wolf isn't on netflix ... I might have to take the plunge and buy the DVD on Amazon or something.

Country
    Country Flag

I suggest we start the rewatch NOW, and everyone watches as much as they can. I have noticed that if rewatches become more organized than this, nothing w orks as expected, and in the end nothing gets done. I think while we're all (well, both) enthusiastic, we must do whatever we can, hoping that more people and animals will join.

Country
    Country Flag

Maybe we should have a Nordic thread, for Haneke, Trier and Bergman combined (I don't really see big difference between them).
    That's not a bad idea, actually ...
    I think you can rename the thread now, before it is too late. We'll start with Haneke anyway, but I am sure the parallels with those two others are inevitable, so we might just as well legalize it.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Title has been changed.

I'm going to rewatch White Ribbon today or tomorrow.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A NEW GAME BEGINS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast