Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: which star trek was the best?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • the original

34 34.34%
  • next generation

47 47.47%
  • DS9

11 11.11%
  • voyager

6 6.06%
  • enterprise

1 1.01%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: To Boldly Go... Star Trek Discussion Thread

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

The young Janeway animated series is an interesting idea. Is Mulgrew voicing the character?

And it sounds like Picard season two might be a “Q giving Picard an opportunity to change his past“ storyline. There was a next gen episode like that, the name of which I can’t recall. Where is Mike Stoklasa when I need him?
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    The young Janeway animated series is an interesting idea. Is Mulgrew voicing the character?

And it sounds like Picard season two might be a “Q giving Picard an opportunity to change his past“ storyline. There was a next gen episode like that, the name of which I can’t recall. Where is Mike Stoklasa when I need him?

It's Tapestry.

And this whole Janeway series is why I just have zero interest in the new Treks. Discovery tried to be new and unique and then they just fell back on bringing in characters and things we already know and familiar with. I don't give a crap about Young Janeway or Old Picard. I got 7 seasons of both, and 4 films of the latter. I'm good. Give me something brand new that doesn't look like a bunch of VFX artists blarting all over the screen please....*runs off crying to finish watching Part 2 of Menagerie*
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I’m interested in the Janeway series because I think the character - and the actor - was let down by bad writing in VOY. I’m interested to see what they do with the character here.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”

Ilium (Simmons)

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Just watched rerun of "All Good Things" because if you're channel flipping and it's on you simply have to stop and watch; it never gets old! I was on a science webcast last year where Jonathan Frakes was the guest speaker, he was a lot of fun; got to hear him swear and everything, which really made my day. If interested you can watch it here, it's an hour long and all about the science of sci-fi and of course lots of Star Trek. Full STEAM Ahead: The Storied Partnership of Space & Hollywood, 2020 #HumansToMars Summit Series

And yes, of course this happened.

WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm rewatching Voyager. In the second season and I'm enjoying early Voyager a lot more than I recall.

I'm Also listening to The Delta Fliers podcast where Garrett Wang and Robert Duncan McNeill are rewatching the series and each episode has its own podcast episode. It's a good listen for Voyager fans.

Discovery Season 4 is a dumpster fire.

Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Discovery Season 4 is a dumpster fire.
    So it's really carrying on the legacy of Seasons 1-3?

Meanwhile, I'm near the end of Season 5 of Voyager. The show gets so much better once Seven of Nine joins. Season Five is near perfection. So many great episodes, and then the terrible Chakotay boxing episode! My best friend is wrapping up his watching if TNG so I'll be starting up my DS9 rewatch when he starts it in the New Year.

It’s worse than Seasons 1-3. The threat of the season makes no sense whatsoever. Each episode is centered on the character traumas, relationships, aspirations - it’s a soap opera. It’s all emotions and no ideas.

The actor who plays Michael Burnham simply is not very good. She’s the captain now, but she doesn’t have that presence of being in command - she’s an actor reciting lines from a script. And as they introduce more characters, the existing cast gets less and less screen time. Characters have no depth or consistency, no motivation other than what the script needs them to do in any given scene.

Yes, these are similar criticisms to previous seasons, but it’s much more so. It’s barely coherent.

The worst written episode of Voyager is a masterpiece compared to this trash.

Lord knows I want Discovery to be good, and I think it could be good. I gave it three seasons, appreciating what it did right, and hoping it would get better. But the writers have taken the show in a direction that I have no interest in.

Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Sounds like the problem with most modern TV shows and why I often just do not give a shit about most shows. It used to feel real fresh with shows like Sopranos and Six Feet Under and LOST to really focus in on characters and developing relationships and smaller dramas in the way that cinema never could. But now we're reaching a point where that's all filler, but so much time and effort is spend on that filler that the actual story is just lacking more and more. So much of the drama is needless and forced just to pad the runtime of the series/season and with so many shows it doesn't feel like it's required to tell the story. And to make it worse this filler is always in service of a plot so it's manufactured drama/character development that only exists so that characters can advance the plot where it needs to go and have it make some sense or have more impact, as opposed to the plot feeling like an organic result of character development and choices.

Soniqua Martin-Green isn't that bad of an actor. She was pretty good in The Walking Dead, but I think she lacks the ability to elevate material so if she's given really good material she can make it work, but if the material sucks, then that's how it's staying. That said, I also don't think she has the ability to be a show's lead and it sounds like she's not getting the job done. And on a show like Star Trek, there should be more than enough support from the rest of the cast that you don't necessarily need your lead character to be super dynamic. I think a case could be made that Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway are not the best characters on their respective shows, but like Captains they are dependable, dynamic characters who can guide the rest when needed. Soniqua should be in the Riker/Chakotay role, if anything.

You absolutely nailed it.

And to be clear, I enjoy character oriented dramas. The Sopranos and Breaking Bad for example are some of the best television ever made. The most powerful scenes from those series are the ones where emotional intensity is at a peak. But those moments are earned. Those series did the work to build the characters so we would care about them when those emotional moments happened. Here, we get the emotional moments without the character development, so we just don’t care.

I haven’t seen Soniqua Martin-Green in anything else, so the problem could well be the material she has to work with. The writing is a real problem here; one of the many issues I have with the series is that none of the characters act like Starfleet officers. But part of it is definitely the way she plays the role. She lacks the bearing of one who is in command; the gravitas of someone responsible for the welfare of the ship and her crew.

To compare again with Voyager, as inconsistently as Janeway was written as a character, Kate Mulgrew’s performance was en pointe. Never for a second did you doubt the Janeway was in command, either in control of any situation or trying to take control of it. That sense of command is missing from Burnham - both in the writing and in the performance.

HBJ

Country
    Country Flag

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

I missed The first season on Picard but I have chance to catch up. What were the thoughts on it.
    BTW, I loved TNG.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    I missed The first season on Picard but I have chance to catch up. What were the thoughts on it.
    BTW, I loved TNG.

You'll either think it's really great or it'll be one of the worst experiences of your life.

I'm just wrapping up my rewatch of Voyager before I move back onto DS9. The second half of Voyager is so damn good.

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Started my rewatch of Deep Space 9 yesterday. I remember it being good in the beginning, but I'm 5 episodes in and it's really good. Outside of the pilot being a little clunky and rough in places, it's been a solid run of episodes so far. If I had to rank the quality of the pilots I'd go VOY>TNG>DS9, but in the first 5 episodes it's going DS9>VOY>TNG. When I rewatched Voyager I thought the first two seasons were a lot better than I remember them being, but still the weakest part of the show, so I'm hoping I get that same thing with DS9

Country
    Country Flag

I really hope P+ puts in the cash needed to restore the older series on HD like they did with TNG. I'd love to rewatch the whole franchise eventually (and I even have the complete TNG on Bluray), but watching non-HD content in this day and age is just so... unpleasant.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I really hope P+ puts in the cash needed to restore the older series on HD like they did with TNG. I'd love to rewatch the whole franchise eventually (and I even have the complete TNG on Bluray), but watching non-HD content in this day and age is just so... unpleasant.
    It doesn't really bug me. They'll never remaster that stuff because they can't make it wide-screen. That's a lot of money to remaster 7 seasons of 4:3.

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I would love that, too, but sadly, I don’t think it’s going to happen. The work to restore DS nine and Voyager to HD quality is far more expensive than TNG was, and the demand for those series in HD is much lower than TNG.

As much money as they might be making from Paramount+ and the new Star Trek, they are not going to do something that loses money. And restoring those series would almost certainly lose money.

The only way I can see it happen is through some kind of crowd sourced initiative, or if the new CG and visual effects can be created automatically from the existing material.

I hope I’m wrong, but that’s the situation as I understand it.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Country
    Country Flag

They can make the new HD versions of DS9 and Voyager (and I believe Enterprise needs remastering, too) as Paramount+ exclusives. The cost of doing this would probably be close to like, five episodes of new Trek.

I think they have to, for future generations.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

It would be very expensive to remaster them to remaster over 300 hours of television. It would also mean spending money to upgrade the visual effects as well. They spent the money on TNG because TNG is the flagship show and likely has more than double the audience of DS9 and VOY combined. While putting it on P+ is an incentive for people to keep subscribing to it, they won't really be making profit on the actual remastering like they did with the TNG remastered which were done for BluRay and sells for $250 dollars.

Apparently TNG cost approx 70k an episode to remaster so 350 episodes of DS9 and Voyager would cost about 25 million, but it would likely cost closer to 35-40 million. It would likely be more expensive too since there is more work to be done on DS9 and VOY since they use a lot more visual effects than TNG did, not to mention to poor quality of the video in early DS9. Voyager especially went pretty heavy on computer effects in the second half of its run. The first season of TNG, which needed a lot of work, cost 9 million to remaster. The process is painstaking. It's not just remastering itself. They have to get all the old negatives out of storage, re-edit each episode back together, remaster it, then redo all the visual effects, which were originally done on the magnetic tape the DVD releases of DS9/VOY were taken from, from scratch.

I mean, I hope they do it too. But it would likely take them a good 6 or 7 years to remaster DS9 and Voyager. That's a big time investment as well as a cost investment.

TNG also benefitted from having almost all the ship and space shots done with models, on film, so those shots could be used for the HD version, with only the visual effect highlights redone.

DS9 and VOY used much more CG for ships and space shots, which was all rendered in SD. So all those shots would need to be completely recreated *exactly*. A significantly more expensive undertaking.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Country
    Country Flag

Still a worthy undertaking. Studios remaster in HD as much as they can all the time, and blu-ray sales are no longer really a thing (except for very limited editions). But streaming in HD and 4K is the future, and how does Paramount+ see their platform growing the Star Trek brand, when some of the most beloved entries in its franchise look like poo?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast