Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: which star trek was the best?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • the original

34 34.34%
  • next generation

47 47.47%
  • DS9

11 11.11%
  • voyager

6 6.06%
  • enterprise

1 1.01%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: To Boldly Go... Star Trek Discussion Thread

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

https://www.glaad.org/blog/meet-star...blu-del-barrio
    Today, Star Trek: Discovery announced that season three will introduce the first non-binary and transgender characters in the history of the Star Trek franchise. The non-binary character, Adira, is played by Blu del Barrio, while the trans character, Gray, is played by out trans actor Ian Alexander. Alexander is well-known for his roles on Netflix's The OA and as Lev in The Last of Us Part II. But this will be the first time people meet the talented actor Blu del Barrio. So we sat down with Blu to find out a little bit more about their life and how they landed the role of Adira.

Hi Blu! We met last year, right after you got cast as Adira, and I'm so happy that I get to chat with you about the show! Star Trek: Discovery is your first major acting gig. How did you find out about the casting call for this role?

Hi Nick, I'm excited to finally get to talk about everything! I was just finishing my final year of drama school in the UK when my agent sent me the casting call for Adira. I loved the idea for the character, taped for it, and later during rehearsals for my last show, got the call that I'd booked the part. A few weeks later, I flew directly to Toronto and walked onto the set. It all happened pretty quickly and felt very surreal. I feel incredibly lucky to be a part of this show.

Star Trek news is always kept under wraps to avoid spoilers, but what (if anything) can you tell us about the character you play?

I will try and say anything I can! Adira is a wonderfully complex character. Mainly because of this duality they have within them: they're astonishingly intelligent and yet they're still a kid. They experience their emotions at a heightened level, like most teenagers. That's what makes them so fun to play. I like to describe them as cerebrally brilliant and emotionally a puppy. Adira is an introvert, but they keep a few people close to the chest, which I definitely resonate with. I don't want to say too much and get in trouble, but all in all, Adira is a uniquely strange and beautiful character.

And you are joining the show alongside Ian Alexander, who is playing a Trill character named Gray. What was it like working with Ian, and was it nice to have another actor join the show with you at the same time?

I honestly cannot speak highly enough of Ian. I absolutely love him, and it was so fun working alongside him. Having him join the show with me was a godsend. It's pretty overwhelming joining a show with such a well-known cast going into its third season. So I was so thankful to have his support whenever I was freaking out. He's a talented, hardworking actor, and an all-around magnificent human being, so it was a joy having him as a partner.

I understand that Adira doesn't tell the crew of the Discovery about being non-binary immediately. Can you give us some insight as to why they don't reveal their gender until later?

When we meet Adira, they're suffering from memory loss. They remember nothing from their past, and very little about themself. They know they're non-binary, of course, but coming onto Discovery they're cautious about sharing that information with anyone. They're a private person, so they aren't going to divulge a lot about themselves to a ship full of strangers. It's not until Adira has found a place of comfort with Stamets and Culber that they feel they can talk about who they are. When I got the call that I'd been cast as Adira, I hadn't yet told the majority of my friends and family that I was non-binary. I had only recently discovered the word and realized that it described how I'd felt for a long time. I knew I wanted to tell my friends and family, so when this happened, it felt like the universe saying "go ahead." So in a way, Adira's story ends up mirroring mine. Just after I told people in my life, so did Adira. Definitely not the most common coming out story, but it was scary, special, and life changing (as they usually are).

You are also non-binary. Why is it important to you to talk about being non-binary right now? And what pronouns do you use?

I want to start by saying that non-binary people have always existed. People's immediate response is often that they've never heard the word non-binary, and therefore question it's validity. Most people don't personally know someone who is transgender, so they don't know much about gender diversity. This is where I believe the problem starts - the problem that leads to discrimination and violence against trans people. Our education system in the US is severely lacking LGBTQ+ subject matters in the curriculum, as well as resources for LGBTQ+ youth. I knew I was different at eight years old, but there wasn't one person who knew how to help me. I was struggling with terrible dysphoria, and every single day I wished someone would understand and help me. No one ever did. That led me to change everything about myself so I could survive, but it would have been so much better if my gender had been affirmed by those around me. Many trans kids don't make it. This is not something we can put on a to-do list. It requires immediate action. Forty percent of trans people attempt suicide, compared to 4.6% of the general population. If that doesn't scream urgency, I don't know what does. I honestly believe if schools were legally required to include LGBTQ+ curriculum, we would see a huge change in how our country treats trans people. But until then, using our own voices, loudly, is the best we can do. So to answer your question, it's not only important that we're talking about our experiences, it's necessary. People need to know who we are and be able to empathize with us in order for change to take place. Sorry for the rant, I could go on about this for hours. Regarding my pronouns, I use they/them/theirs. For those who find these pronouns difficult to get used to - I promise you - if my Argentinian parents can do it, so can you.

Many people are still confused about what it means to have a non-binary gender identity. What would you like people to know and understand about what being non-binary means for you?

It took me a very long time to find a word that could help me understand my gender, and honestly I am still figuring out who I am. This is because we live in a society built around a binary. Everything, and I mean everything, is gendered. It's either made for men, or made for women. Non-binary is an umbrella term for any identity that does not neatly fit into that binary. So as you can imagine, if you are non-binary, navigating everyday life in this world can be extremely challenging. You are constantly invalidated and made to feel as if you don't "fit." What I want people to understand is that we do "fit," but not into the strict gender binary our society has created. For many non-binary people, myself included, finding the language to match what you feel can be very difficult. I didn't know the term existed until I was 21, but when I found it, my whole life suddenly made sense. The way we think and talk about gender has to change. Our societal norms surrounding gender have to change. Because non-binary people deserve to live in a world where they fit.

Telling the world about your gender identity can be challenging. Do you have any positive experiences you can share about how people have reacted to you telling them you are non-binary?

I had told a few friends in London before I got the part of Adira and they were very supportive, but I was absolutely terrified to tell dozens of total strangers when I started filming Star Trek in Canada. I was surrounded by a huge cast and crew of people I'd basically just met. But when I did tell people, I was stunned to find that this massive group of strangers wholeheartedly accepted and validated me. They welcomed me in with open arms. When I looked like I needed help, someone would go out of their way to help me. If someone had a question about my identity, they asked it thoughtfully and kindly. When I went to our costume department and sheepishly asked them if I could use a binder under my costumes, they went and MADE me one. I know this isn't how it would go on every set, but it was clear that on the Discovery set, the producers, directors, writers, cast, and crew were equally committed to writing these wonderful characters in Adira and Gray, and creating a safe and healthy work environment for me and Ian. Hopefully in the future, every film and television set will be like this.

Are there other non-binary actors working in Hollywood that you look to as possibility models for your career?

Oh absolutely! I realized I might be non-binary the first time I saw a non-binary actor on television. (It was Lachlan Watson by the way, so they're definitely on the list). Apart from Lachlan, I'm watching Indya Moore, Bex Taylor-Klaus, Theo Germaine, Asia Kate Dillon, and Brigette Lundy-Paine. I'm a huge fan of all of theirs. There's not many of us (yet) in the industry, but I'm so grateful to have a few role models like them.

What would be your dream role in the future?

Literally any role in any Tim Burton film. He could honestly cast me as goblin #7 and I would die happy. I was raised on Tim Burton films, and his work has played a huge part in my artistic growth, so to be in any film of his would be a dream. Aside from that, my goal is to work in independent films. From films my friends make, to films on a tiny budget, to films that maybe no one ever hears about. I love working in small, tight knit groups and being a part of the collaboration. Some of the most special films I've seen have been independent and started out really small, so I'd love to work in that side of the industry.

Check out the new season of Star Trek: Discovery on CBS All Access on October 15!

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Good news. I’ll be interested to see the new characters.

One correction, though - this is not the first time a non-binary character was portrayed in Star Trek. The TNG episode, “The Outcast”, was based on the premise of a planet whose residents rejected the notion of strict genders.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Good news. I’ll be interested to see the new characters.

One correction, though - this is not the first time a non-binary character was portrayed in Star Trek. The TNG episode, “The Outcast”, was based on the premise of a planet whose residents rejected the notion of strict genders.

HBJ
    "Star Trek: Enterprise: " "Cogenitor" is the 48th episode of the television series Star Trek: Enterprise, the 22nd episode of the second season.
    A race that needs a third gender to reproduce. The third gender is viewed as disposable in that culture.

Star Trek: Enterprise is my favorite of the Star Trek universe but this poll closed before I noticed it.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm halfway through DS9 and it's awesome. So glad I decided to finally watch this. Probably going to watch Enterprise after since that's the newest Trek I'll watch.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I mean, I can't argue with that, honestly. Discovery and Picard have their positives, but if you are enjoying DS9, then DSC and PIC will probably just make you sad.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”

Ilium (Simmons)

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Just walkout to finish Season 5 of DS9. What a fantastic season. The show just gets a little better season after season, which is impressive considering it started off so well, unlike TNG and Voyager which needed a couple seasons to find its footing.

It's just the characters, and how they grow and change over time. It's so subtle and well- executed. I like that they often leave episodes hanging with a new development for a character or they make a change, but we don't really get that concrete resolution to wrap things up in a nice little bow.... they allow implications and emotions to linger, which is pretty unique to this Trek.

Thanks for the review, Matt. I've caught individual episodes of DS9 at different times, but never watched the whole thing through. Your comments are motivating me to do that!

Good comment about TNG needing a few seasons to find its feet. A lot of fans give TNG season one a lot of flak, but I really like it - precisely because you can see the writers are still trying to figure out what the show is. It's fascinating to see it evolve.

(They also imply that a woman has sex with a robot in the *second episode*, which is pretty ballsy for Trek. I've got to give them props for that).

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Season 6 was a step down from Season 5, but it was still really good. It was a little plot heavy at times, but that greatness from Season 4-5 was still there in the smaller episodes. Every Quark episode in Season 6 is great, and I think Latinum and Lace is easily top 5 funniest Trek episodes... definitely the funniest episode of DS9.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Season 7 kind of meandered a bit before the 10 episode endgame. It wasn't bad, but you can tell they were killing time until the ending. But it Endgame was excellent and the finale was great so it's hard to complain. It can't be easy to keep a show like this fresh.

Definitely my favorite Trek.

Now I'm finishing Voyager. I took a break with a few episodes to go like 2 years ago.

I've watched the first two episodes of Discovery Season 3, and ... it's fine, I guess? The overarching story might prove to be interesting, and I still like the characters, but the episode-to-episode writing is still letting the series down, in my opinion.

Spoiler:

It doesn't really feel much like Star Trek - the universe the Discovery jumped 900 years forward into seems very different. So there's a bunch of world-building that needs to happen, and I'm not sure I'm invested enough to stick with it. They seem to be more or less reworking the entire premise of the show after two seasons.

Of the two episodes I've watched, I thought the first was better, even though the second was more "Star Trek". Things are already feeling a bit rushed - the Discovery is fixed and everyone is back together by the end of the second ep? Fixing the ship on a strange planet and finding Burnham could have been longer arcs - even a two- or three-parter would have let the plot points breathe a bit more. I fear that the whole Federation will be re-established by the end of the season, whereas a longer view - a la DS9 - might yield better storytelling.

Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

That doesn't surprise me Jack. Discovery had three different showrunners in Season 2 and from all I've heard quite a lot of plot threads were abandoned and the season was pretty disjointed because of it.

I don't think CBS gives a shit about continuity or their stories making sense though. They'll just put a million exploding ships on the screen to distract everyone.

Season 2 was a bit of a mess, yeah. Again, some good core ideas were there, but the episodes didn’t develop them coherently, many plot threads were forgotten about, and the final episode tried to tie everything together in a rush.

The in-episode writing isn’t that great either. There’s an underlying plot, but the script is just scenes. Here’s an action scene where this event has to happen. Now a scene where two characters emote. Now a scene where a plot point is explained or discovered. There’s no feeling of one scene leading to another to build up to a resolution. There is a resolution, but it just comes out of nowhere.

Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

It sounds like you just described this

And this is extremely entertaining too.

Yep, big RLM fan here. I’ve rewatched these reviews a few times. And watching Mike and Rich talk about TNG in the last few re:Views has been a real pleasure.

I agree with them that the season-long story arc of Season 2 was a mess, but I think there were core story concepts there that had real potential. But I would also say that the writing within each episode was not good, as I mentioned above.

Season 3 is suffering from similar problems, but we’ll see where it goes. The world building is a bit sloppy, which isn’t a good sign. They are not establishing the rules of this setting very well - possibly so they don’t have to worry about following them.

Ilium (Simmons)

Today, Star Trek: Discovery announced that season three will introduce the first non-binary and transgender characters in the history of the Star Trek franchise. The non-binary character, Adira, is played by Blu del Barrio, while the trans character, Gray, is played by out trans actor Ian Alexander.
    Based on the first four episodes, this isn’t quite correct. Adira, the character played by Blu del Barrio, appears to identify as female. Gray is trans male, as is the actor who plays him.

Spoiler:

One could speculate that Adira now identifies as non-binary because she (or they) has memories of previous male hosts. We shall see.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Didn't Riker mate with an androgynous race in TNG?

Yes, in The Outcast. I mentioned that in a previous post, too.

Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Riker will do anything. I saw the way he was looking at that Crystaline entity in Datalore!

I’ve been pushing on with Discovery. The last two episodes were fun, taking Phillipa Georgiou back in time to the Terran empire. Sadly, though, she is now out of the series, it seems, so there goes my favorite character – and the only one with any edge to them.

Meanwhile, back in the future, the Discovery is trying to solve the mystery of the Burn, and I’m not sure I really care. It is not clear what the stakes are if they solve it or not. There’s also some idea about restoring the Federation, but it’s not clear how the Burn mystery relates to that, if it does. I suppose if the Federation can restore the use of dilithium to the Galaxy, everybody will start trusting them again?

Apart from that, though, Star Trek discovery is just trying way too hard. Every episode has to have a scene with swelling music, and somebody (sometimes a room full of somebody’s) telling Michael how wonderful she is. Every episode has to have a scene where Michael cries, or hold back tears, or is filled with joy or regret or something. It’s all so overwrought.

And sadly, the actress who plays Michael just isn’t very good. She uses the same expressions and emotion filled tone for every scene that requires her character to feel sonething. She was a much more interesting character when she acted more Vulcan like.

And the writing lets her down too; we don’t see her being this wonderful person that everybody tells her she is. The writers hope that by telling us, the audience, that everybody likes her, that we should like her too.

When you compare this with the Mandalorian, the contrast is stark. The Star Wars show manipulated our emotions - baby Yoda is cute as hell – but characters didn’t cry or profess their it affection for each other. If anything, they were stoic to a fault – but you could see how much they respected and cared for each other through their actions.

Star Trek needs to take a leaf from their book; with good writing and good actors, you don’t have to tell the audience what they should be feeling.

Ilium (Simmons)

I finished watching season three of Star Trek discovery. All in all, I’d give it a two out of five.

There are things to like about the series. Some of the concepts are solid – I liked the core idea of the Kelpian psychically linked to the dilithium planet and causing the Burn, for example. But it’s not really interesting enough to be the big reveal of the season. It would work as a two-parter.

I also generally like the characters. Saru, Tilley, Stamets, Hugh are interesting and distinct. However, the series focused too much on the new characters and not enough on the existing ones. Frankly, I still don’t know the names of some of the bridge crew, and when they profess their loyalty and affection for each other, I just don’t feel it. We haven’t spent enough time with them to see that connection, even after three seasons.

Unfortunately, the main character of Michael Burnham is just not very compelling. Her actions aren’t informed by anything - her character, her past, her Vulcan upbringing. She just feels or does what the script needs her to at the time. It’s not coming from what we know of her as a character.

The thing is, with a bit of tinkering, and better writing, this could all be fixed. Have more scenes of the crew working as a team. Have episodes focused on one or two of the original cast so we get to know them. Take some of the focus away from Michael, and show her as a leader of people, not a lone hero. Don’t have the same non-crew characters in every episode, as they steal screentime from the crew. We should be seeing more of Detmer than of the Starfleet Admiral guy.

I will probably watch the next season, but I came very close to bailing on this one.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm officially at the halfway point of TNG on the First Contact episode. The first season didn't hurt quite as much the second time around...it's really only the first 7 episodes and a few scattered after that which are pretty bad. All in all Season 1 just felt lacking compared to the rest of the series as they were still finding their footing. Season 2 is pretty solid and Season 3 is likely the best of all the seasons, but I remember season 5 being really good too. Season 4 so far has been consistently good, but lacking the amount of standout episodes Season 3 had.

My best friend is watching TNG for the first time I forced him to power through the first season even tough there aren't many great episodes, but I told him it's an essential part of the experience and he'll appreciate the good Trek all the more for it.

I really like the first season, precisely because you can see the writers trying to figure out what the show is. They have the goofy “planet” sets reminiscent of TOS, too, which give those eps some charm. The writing got much better, of course, but there’s a historical aspect to that season that I find fascinating.

And I agree - you need to watch the seasons in order, even though the really good stuff is in the middle seasons.

I will add that the remaster of the whole series is outstanding work - and it helps that a lot of the space scenes were models shot on film. They really hold up.

Ilium (Simmons)

Country
    Country Flag

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast