Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: which star trek was the best?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • the original

34 34.34%
  • next generation

47 47.47%
  • DS9

11 11.11%
  • voyager

6 6.06%
  • enterprise

1 1.01%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14

Thread: To Boldly Go... Star Trek Discussion Thread

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Still a worthy undertaking. Studios remaster in HD as much as they can all the time, and blu-ray sales are no longer really a thing (except for very limited editions). But streaming in HD and 4K is the future, and how does Paramount+ see their platform growing the Star Trek brand, when some of the most beloved entries in its franchise look like poo?
    They know Trek fans will watch it regardless of the quality so it's just a loss.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    TNG also benefitted from having almost all the ship and space shots done with models, on film, so those shots could be used for the HD version, with only the visual effect highlights redone.

DS9 and VOY used much more CG for ships and space shots, which was all rendered in SD. So all those shots would need to be completely recreated *exactly*. A significantly more expensive undertaking.

HBJ
    They have to redo all visual effects regardless anyways if they weren't done before the camera. They transferred an the film to magnetic tape and then did Vis. Effects on the tape, so they couldn't upgrade them if they wanted to

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I’d love it if they would do it, and I agree that these series merit restoration but it’s a cost to revenue problem.

It’s relatively easy and inexpensive to remaster something like Friends or The X-Files, because they have very few visual effects, and they were shot on film. These series are insanely popular, and people will stay subscribed to rewatch episodes.

Something like DS9 will be far more expensive to remaster, and probably won’t bring in that many more subscribers - or retain existing ones - just because it’s available in HD rather than SD. As enthusiastic as fans are about these series, they never reached the popularity of TNG, let alone a Friends or Seinfeld.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    TNG also benefitted from having almost all the ship and space shots done with models, on film, so those shots could be used for the HD version, with only the visual effect highlights redone.

DS9 and VOY used much more CG for ships and space shots, which was all rendered in SD. So all those shots would need to be completely recreated *exactly*. A significantly more expensive undertaking.

HBJ
    They have to redo all visual effects regardless anyways if they weren't done before the camera. They transferred an the film to magnetic tape and then did Vis. Effects on the tape, so they couldn't upgrade them if they wanted to
    Yes, all the visual effects in TNG needed to be redone, because they were done in post production, in SD. But the shots of the ships themselves didn’t, because they were models shot on film. The glow of the nacelles and the impulse engines, for example, needed to be recreated and added to those model shots, but the whole shot didn’t need to be re-created from scratch in CG.

Not only are there many more effects shots in the later series, many of the space scenes were completely CG rendered, in SD. So re-creating whole sequences again - including HD renders of the ships, not just recreating the highlights - adds to the cost as compared to TNG.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”

Ilium (Simmons)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Man that Duets episode of DS9. Forgot how powerful it was.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

DS9 is my second favorite ST series.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

I hate to say it, but I’m done with new TV Trek.

I was really looking forward to watching Strange New Worlds, but the second series of Picard has soured all new Trek for me. Like the seasons and shows before it, Picard season 2 started with a promising premise, but was weighed down by too many characters and subplots by mid-season, and collapsed into a narrative mess by the final episode.

I know strange new worlds has been getting rave reviews, but as promising as the series trailer was, the few clips of the actual show I’ve seen have not impressed.

I’ve tried liking these new shows. I don’t need them to be the same as the old Trek of 30 years ago, but I would like them to be engaging and smart, with characters I like, can relate to, and admire. You know - good TV. But they are just so poorly-written and, well, dumb - and they seem to be getting worse, not better.

I can’t help compare it to new Star Wars streaming series which - while never as ideas-driven as Trek - at least have a coherent story arc and likable characters.

Ilium (Simmons)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

RIP Nichelle Nichols

Country
    Country Flag

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey, guys. You know what? I was today years old when I figured out that James T. Kirk would probably not have become the youngest Captain in history of the Federation a few years before his first appearance on Star Trek (1966) if John F. Kennedy had not in 1961 become the youngest President in the history of the United States.

Country
    Country Flag

After walking away from TV Trek just over a year ago, I took a quick peek at Picard Season 3 and SNW Season 1.

Picard Season 3 was a vast improvement - a different show from Seasons 1 and 2. The plot structure of the season was still pretty wonky, but the episode-to-episode writing was good - even great. Best of all was the character development. These were not the TNG characters of 30 years ago, but those characters 30 years older, each with their own history and experience. And unlike a movie, the longer miniseries format gave each actor enough screen time to shine.

This endeavour could have been a disaster, a desperate attempt to win over core fans using nostalgia and not much else. While the result was not flawless - and there was nostalgia-pandering to excess, particularly in the final episode - the season hit much more often than it missed. I'm glad I watched it.

Strange New Worlds is essentially a reimagining and updating of the TOS premise. It mostly succeeds - mainly due to the episodic nature of the season, and the focus on the core bridge cast so that we get to know them over the course of the season. There are also plot threads that overarch the season, although some of the stories are a little soapy for Trek, in my opinion. What works most is the tone - while some of the cast act a bit too goofy (goofily?) for Starfleet officers, they mostly get it right. And Anson Mount is perfect as Pike - showing respect and warmth for his crew while still being in confident command at all times.

In terms of being part of Star Trek continuity, though, I think you have to think of this as an alternative take, rather than part of the same universe as TOS and TNG, regardless of what the official canon might be. This Enterprise is not the same Enterprise as TOS, and Spock and Uhura are not the TOS Spock and Uhura characters. If you are looking for meticulous adherence to the look, feel and characters of TOS, then this isn't it. If that's going to bother you, you'd best stay away.

I tend to treat this show as about a different ship, and a different crew, on their own 5 year mission in the Star Trek universe. Maybe its before TOS, maybe after - it doesn't matter to me too much. Under that premise, it works for me.

So, both seasons were a thumbs up for me.

(Not enough of a thumbs-up to watch Discovery season 5, though)

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Country
    Country Flag

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14