Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 182 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 107 ... LastLast

Thread: PS Publishing - Stephen King Anniversary Editions

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    I agree. I am a graphic designer by trade and I wish there was more effort put into incorporating fonts into the DJ design. It seems that lately small presses are using very 90s grunge looking fonts that are probably available online for free download.
    Can you post some of your book cover designs for comparison?

Brian
    I haven't designed any book covers for years so I don't have anything to show you. I mainly do work for banks, credit unions, law firms, medical companies, etc. I design a lot of logos as well. I've worked as a graphic designer for 22 years since I graduated college with a major in G.D. and in Fine Art (minor in advertising), so it's just my opinion on the fonts and layouts. I do love the art but it seems like the fonts are just an after thought sometimes (like Pet Sematary above).
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I agree. I am a graphic designer by trade and I wish there was more effort put into incorporating fonts into the DJ design. It seems that lately small presses are using very 90s grunge looking fonts that are probably available online for free download.
    Can you post some of your book cover designs for comparison?

Brian
    Called to the carpet...
    Maybe interested in a freelancer?

Brian

P.S. No, seriously, I've hired people I've met on message boards before. Proofreaders and artists mostly, but if I have a job that needs done, I don't care where I find the person if they can do it well!
    I totally missed this post. I can send you a pdf of some of my work if you like?

And here are some nice cover designs:
    http://designobserver.com/50Books50C...011covers.html

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Those are gorgeous covers, but did you contribute to any of them?

Citizen of Gilead barlow will become famous soon enough barlow's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rainet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Here's one of David Gentry's spreads for the book:

Excellent image; moody & atmospheric.
    I see this picture as the jacket cover on the site. It's ok, but i hope another piece of artwork makes it through. Is this the definite cover or just a mock up until the cover is finalized? Can't wait for this. I already ordered Christine.
    I like this image, I think it looks pretty cool. However I read Pet Sematary for the third time about a year ago, so I would say it is somewhat fresh for me. I am trying to figure out what this image is supposed to be? It looks like a thinny from the Dark Tower, but I have no idea what it would be in Pet Sematary!

Ken

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm working on the cover for my son's first book (The Great Big Googinheimer). Ironically enough, given the criticism of Gabe Rodriguez "South Park" cover for The Shining, I work almost exclusively in paper cutting.

Citizen of Gilead barlow will become famous soon enough barlow's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I noticed the discusion about jacket design. A lot of good jacket art is ruined when the wrong font is used, I think small presses should be more creative in encororating the authors name or the title of the book into the image that the artist has created for the cover! I suggested on the thread for The Shining limited edition when there were a lot of complaints about the fonts used there. That doing something like having King's name tilted so it was level with the floor, then have it either blending into the floor itself or into the lower extremities of the ghosts that are in the foreground would look a lot better than just slapping his name on the cover in big blue letters. I saw where Brian posted all the various mock ups for the Full Dark No Stars, and thought it very informative everyone who comments about jacket layouts should check it out.

Ken

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Those are gorgeous covers, but did you contribute to any of them?
    No, just some examples of good design. My stuff is mostly advertising/marketing/identities for businesses. I've worked for The Orlando Magic, Sea Ray boats, major pharmaceutical companies, and for the last 10 years, small businesses. And I did win a Silver Addy back in the 90s

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by barlow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Here's one of David Gentry's spreads for the book:

Excellent image; moody & atmospheric.
    I see this picture as the jacket cover on the site. It's ok, but i hope another piece of artwork makes it through. Is this the definite cover or just a mock up until the cover is finalized? Can't wait for this. I already ordered Christine.
    I like this image, I think it looks pretty cool. However I read Pet Sematary for the third time about a year ago, so I would say it is somewhat fresh for me. I am trying to figure out what this image is supposed to be? It looks like a thinny from the Dark Tower, but I have no idea what it would be in Pet Sematary!

Ken
    The image in that link changed and is now showing artwork from a different book.
    Mark Twain

Gunslinger Apprentice subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I completely agree with mikeC's comment, the type sometimes ruins the art, Pet Sematary included. It looks like they took a nice painting and threw on some vinyl lettering and some leftover scrap pieces.
    The cover for Christine is better but they should swap the locations of the title and King's name. Then remove the mention of the Intro and Afterword or at least move it to the bottom. I think having them right there in the middle clutters the cover. Besides, these are limited editions and people probably aren't buying them because of the people who wrote these additions so why make them so prominent?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeC View Post
    I think most small press have good artwork but the typography is usually not up to the level of the artwork or the subject matter. I think most of them should just have the title on the spline and leave the cover with just artwork.

I totally missed this post. I can send you a pdf of some of my work if you like?
    Absolutely, would love to see it! My email address is in my signature. Thanks!

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

(In case anyone thought I was kidding, here is my first pass at a cover for my son's book, "The Great Big Googinheimer!" He's 11 and wrote and illustrated the book; I am converting his pencil-sketched cover art into a colorful masterpiece using construction paper and a scanner.)

Country
    Country Flag

That's great!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice job, Robert Fulman and Robert Fulman's kid!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I really like that, Mike!

Gunslinger Apprentice RIC #520 will become famous soon enough RIC #520 will become famous soon enough

Has anyone received the Christine - 30th Anniversary Edition? I should have been released in April... right?
    Wanted:
    DT1 Gunslinger S/L #96
    Any DT or DT related books #96

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RIC #520 View Post
    Has anyone received the Christine - 30th Anniversary Edition? I should have been released in April... right?
    The printer went out of business I think so PS Publishing had to switch printers hence the delay.

Gunslinger Apprentice subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RIC #520 View Post
    It was delayed. This is what I received from the publisher and haven't seen anything since:

Thank you for getting in touch. We had a list of titles (CHRISTINE included) at our printers but unfortunately they have had financial difficulties and have had to close down for the time being. All the files have now been moved over to another printers and at the moment we are not sure how quickly things are going to move.
    Keep checking our free weekly newsletter for updates but at least we know that things are starting to move again.
    Best wishes

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I saw several of Jill Bauman's prints for Christine at NECon last weekend -- they look great. By an interesting coincidence, Steven Gervais had the artwork panel on the other side of hers, and he had some cool originals from his work on Christine, but they weren't for sale.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I saw several of Jill Bauman's prints for Christine at NECon last weekend -- they look great. By an interesting coincidence, Steven Gervais had the artwork panel on the other side of hers, and he had some cool originals from his work on Christine, but they weren't for sale.
    Are you sure that Steve Gervais was showing original art from Christine? I thought I had them all. At least all that were published in the Grant edition.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I'm not sure these were things that were included in the book. They LOOKED original -- they were almost photographic. I don't have the LE of Christine, so I'm not all that familiar with the interior art. One of them was of Darnell's garage. I tried an image search, but I couldn't find anything that looked like them. I figured they were original because they were marked "not for sale."

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure these were things that were included in the book. They LOOKED original -- they were almost photographic. I don't have the LE of Christine, so I'm not all that familiar with the interior art. One of them was of Darnell's garage. I tried an image search, but I couldn't find anything that looked like them. I figured they were original because they were marked "not for sale."
    Interesting. I may call Steve and see what they were. I think I still have his number. I think there was a very limited series of prints done of the artwork from the Grant edition, but I have never seen any of the prints for sale. "Darnell's Garage" was the last of the originals that I bought from Steve. I didn't think I would get it. He had given it as a gift to his mother-in-law years before. I had to make a handsome offer to finally get it, but it is my favorite of the pencil drawings. Do you remember it looking like this:

It looked something like that, but it *seemed* glossier. Might be just my impression, though.

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

That's great, I've never seen any of them before!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Cool, Bev! Are you going to sign the books?
    Apparently I am! This package showed up at my door today. Inside: two boxes full of signature sheets. They're already signed by Ramsey Campbell.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Cool, Bev! Are you going to sign the books?
    Apparently I am! This package showed up at my door today. Inside: two boxes full of signature sheets. They're already signed by Ramsey Campbell.

Your signing both Christine & Pet Semetary? Did you write an intro? I really enjoy reading your reviews and summaries of his works, such as the chapbooks from CD and The Road to the Dark Tower.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 182 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 107 ... LastLast