Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: Publishing/Editing Question

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Publishing/Editing Question

Just wanted to throw out a question ...

Let's say you're an American-based publisher that is editing a short story anthology collection in which one or more of your authors are British. Do you leave in the differently spelled words (favourite, colour, etc) or do you consider them to be incorrect? Discuss.

MY vote is that you leave in the words ... it's a story written by a British author, in HIS words ... The story might or might be about British people and/or British places, which makes the case even stronger.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

I would leave it as written but maybe with certain words (i.e. mobile vs cell phone, or lift vs elevator) keep or modify based on the setting of the story. That's probably too complex but at the very least leave them as written. I feel that most people can handle a slightly different lexicon and spellings.

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I say leave the story as written.

Maybe include origin of author in the by line?
    Christine

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Just wanted to throw out a question ...

Let's say you're an American-based publisher that is editing a short story anthology collection in which one or more of your authors are British. Do you leave in the differently spelled words (favourite, colour, etc) or do you consider them to be incorrect? Discuss.

MY vote is that you leave in the words ... it's a story written by a British author, in HIS words ... The story might or might be about British people and/or British places, which makes the case even stronger.
    I would leave it as is. It's the authors voice we are hearing set in the world the author wishes us to see. Once the reader is into the story he/she should easily pick up the slight word usage changes.

If this word usage is being done specifically for the locale of the story than I would certainly keep it.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would write, "should be read in a British accent" at the beginning of the story.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I'd recommend asking a professional editor -- perhaps Brian Freeman from CD could tell you what they do, as they often have British authors in their anthologies.

When I write for a Canadian market, I use Canadian spellings. When I write for an American market, I use American. I switch Word dictionaries in the documents to make sure I remain consistent.

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

As a Reader I would prefer to read it as it was originally written. Nothing wrong with learning how the English misspell their words.
    reality continues to ruin my life

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Ha ha ha

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'd leave the original wording as well. Like some other posters said, it's the author's words.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

OK, so we're all pretty much on the same page with letting the British words stay. Got it, thanks!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Leave it "as is". Adds to the character of the overall story!!!

Spoiler:
    I just had to get my 2 cents in!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I prefer American spelling 100%. I don't know why, but British spellings always bug me. This is not meant as an affront to the British people, some of who I consider my biggest friends, especially through this site, just to their spelling. If I read the word 'colour' in a book or a letter I ALWAYS pronounce it 'cu-lure' in my mind, I can't help it. The word theatre is always pronounced 'the-a-tree' in my head. Also, there is no 'u' in glamor, in case you wanted to know.

Yes - I know I need help.

EDIT - It's amazing I was even able to respond here, my PC was fixed and it STILL won't work right.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Why not ask each author what "they" want?

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Nah, not important.

LOL, just kidding. They wrote it in "British", and we're gonna keep it that way, so no worries. Just wanted to see what everyone thought.