Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Was Mordred born evil?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he was born totally evil.

30 45.45%
  • No, he wasn't. He was evil but there was good in him, too.

31 46.97%
  • No, he wasn't. He was born good.

2 3.03%
  • I can't vote because...

3 4.55%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Mordred - and his complex personality

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, the way time is, that bit could have been much more I suppose.

But I agree with you here Letti, I think Mordred struggled with what was inside of him and loneliness can drive a person even crazier than they already were.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Well, the way time is, that bit could have been much more I suppose.

But I agree with you here Letti, I think Mordred struggled with what was inside of him and loneliness can drive a person even crazier than they already were.
    I think Mordred would have stood a better chance of being turned towards the White once Big Red was dealt with. So long as the insane voice of his Red Daddy filled his mind, I don't think Mordred stood much of a chance of being turned away from hatred.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

For my part I do think that Mordred wasn't born totally evil but somehow... I can't imagine that Roland or anyone else could confince him to turn to the white. Mordred was damned...
    He wanted power and revenge way too much.

Roland would have understood.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

ah, I guess I don't agree then.

I got the feeling they could have shown him a bit of love and changed his mind. Roland was his father as well after all.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

ah, I guess I don't agree then.

I got the feeling they could have shown him a bit of love and changed his mind. Roland was his father as well after all.
    And how could they have talked to him?
    How can you imagine that situation? I am interested in it.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Let him come close to the fire, get warm and maybe find out what he was about.

Roland palavered with Walter--ultimate hated badass, why not with Mordred?

Country
    Country Flag

Let him come close to the fire, get warm and maybe find out what he was about.

Roland palavered with Walter--ultimate hated badass, why not with Mordred?
    He had a lot of question he wanted to ask from Water but he didn't have questions to Mordred, did he?

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I believe enemies should always have questions of each other and if the opportunity to talk it out comes up, they should take it.

But what I am really trying to get at is Roland and his crew may have been able to reason with Mordred but that was not Ka I guess.

I believe enemies should always have questions of each other and if the opportunity to talk it out comes up, they should take it.

But what I am really trying to get at is Roland and his crew may have been able to reason with Mordred but that was not Ka I guess.
    I agree with you Matt but only when it comes to people, not supernatural creatures who have one parent who is evil incarnate. Mordred was spawned for one reason, to dispose of Roland. No small thanks to Oy, he failed.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Sure, but in the text of the book he was not single minded. He was confused and conflicted.

I think ole Red made a mistake in the coupling because I read poor spider boy as frighteningly human in some parts.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I seem to recall even if Mordred were to be accepted by Roland, Mordred would have refused him anyways because he didn't want to serve under him. Its not as if Mordred gave Roland an opportunity to talk either. So if its anyone's fault, it was Mordred's and Mordred's alone.

As for why Roland was able to talk with Walter and not Mordred...well, the circumstances were pretty different. The two didn't discuss their feelings with each other, Walter gave Roland a prophecy. I don't think either of them had much of a choice in the matter. And (at that moment at least) neither of them were trying to kill the other.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    I seem to recall even if Mordred were to be accepted by Roland, Mordred would have refused him anyways because he didn't want to serve under him. Its not as if Mordred gave Roland an opportunity to talk either. So if its anyone's fault, it was Mordred's and Mordred's alone.

As for why Roland was able to talk with Walter and not Mordred...well, the circumstances were pretty different. The two didn't discuss their feelings with each other, Walter gave Roland a prophecy. I don't think either of them had much of a choice in the matter. And (at that moment at least) neither of them were trying to kill the other.
    I agree on both counts. It seemed pretty clear from the text that while Mordred did have some longing feelings for Roland and his "family," Mordred's hatred of Roland was significantly stronger. Like I said, so long as Los was present in End-World, Mordred wasn't going to supplicate to Roland.

Donkey Thief Mike Beck is on a distinguished road Mike Beck's Avatar

i wanted to like mordred. parts of me did. i just feel that king didn't know what to do with him. i got into some of the confliction within him, but not enough to really care what happened to his character, which really didn't serve much of a purpose.

what did he do?

well, he had that run-in with an incredible character that rhymes with
    Spoiler:
    Smandall Smlagg.

he leaves. he follows the ka-tet. he watches. he follows roland. he watches. he has another run-in, this time with another character much more interesting than he is. he talks to some birds. he follows roland. he tries to kill roland. he kills oy. roland kills mordred. mordred done.

great.

Country
    Country Flag

Why did you want to like him, Mike?

i wanted to like his character, missy. not exactly saying i want to hang out with the dude and go bowling, or anything.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Liar. You wanted to make out with him and loooooove him.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Ooooooh! Mike and Mordred in a tree...

hey! c'mon, you guys!

Ok. I did want to loooooove him, but he broke my fuckin' heart and stole half my money!!!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I kind of agree with you though Mike. I loved Song of Susannah, and Mordred was obviously an integral part of that - but Mordred himself was slightly redundant as a character. I felt Oy was also cheated being murdered by him

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    I felt Oy was also cheated being murdered by him
    While I was grief-stricken by Oy's death, that battle was the only part of Mordred's presence I really "liked." Putting aside his inexcusable presence as Walter's doom, I thought Mordred did make a good final test for Oy. Poor little guy stood as true as Eddie or Jake did at their final moments, and he likely as not saved Roland's life. If King only used Mordred as a way of giving Oy a final stand I'd venture to say he'd have been a lot less controversial a character. Maybe next time King does his loop he'll write it differently.

Citizen of Gilead ATG is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    I hated Mordred. Probably the worst character in the entire Dark Tower series, and I would argue King's entire canon as well.
    Wow, that's pretty harsh.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Don't let Cyber fool you, he really loves Mordred, this is just his little way of getting over his death. We all have been very understanding of Cyber's emotional needs in trying to detach himself, to make letting go easier. We've even suggested pooling some money to fly him to Chicago so he could go on Oprah, but that didn't work out.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Citizen of Gilead Aesculapius is on a distinguished road Aesculapius's Avatar

Momma told me there would be DAYS like this. SHe is coming back around, though...to put things back the way they should be. HIS story? Nah...we've had enough of that.

Country
    Country Flag

The srtongest feeling I felt for Mordred was pity.

Citizen of Gilead Aesculapius is on a distinguished road Aesculapius's Avatar

It would be nice to curl up in the corner of the ceiling, though.
    Momma told me there would be DAYS like this. SHe is coming back around, though...to put things back the way they should be. HIS story? Nah...we've had enough of that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast