Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies everyone else has seen except you

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bethany View Post
    No Star Trek
    No Godfather
    No James Bond
    No LOTR

I remember mentioning in another thread recently that I have never even seen one Bond film either.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, Mike, you and I have such different perspectives! I barely agree with a thing you chose to say. Lawrence of Arabia takes commitment... but Chinatown? All you need the first time is a quiet room. (Probably at a family party, you could not follow and enjoy that, like you could The Sound of Music.) Same with Casablanca. Huge rewards if you can just leave the remote on top of the TV set.
    I don't understand how any of you read that list and pick out Jurassic Park to be shocked that he's never seen! I might skip that one, and Harry Potter (read the Crichton and Rowling) although all of those are worth seeing. (Including, even, 1 or maybe 2 of both Alien and Predator.)
    But my suggestion would be to watch Young Frankenstein! Mel Brooks's funniest, and that is saying something! After you find out how much you love it, also make sure not to miss:
    Yeah, we do have very different taste in film. That's okay though. That's what makes it fun.

I'm a huge Mel Brooks fan. We gave my dad the Mel Brooks collection on DVD a few years back. I grew up watching those films with him. The reason I didn't chose to to recommend the Mel Brooks films to the original poster is because I just don't know his/her taste. I also don't know how old they are. These are very important because Mel Brooks is a style of comedy that is just not around anymore. I know that whenever I recommend a Mel Brooks fan to anybody younger than the age of 25, they usually don't like it. Like Needfullthings said, if you haven't seen the films that Brooks is trying to spoof, you might not be able to truly appreciate his brand of comedy. If I were to recommend a Brooks film to somebody who has never seen his work, I would probably start with some of his newer films like Spaceballs and Men in Tights. They are a little more accessible and mainstream. I've talked to a lot of people who watch Young Frankenstein and never watched another Brooks film because they didn't like it.

The reason why I picked Jurassic Park is because it's a big blockbuster film that holds your interest throughout. It's well paced and I just think it's an iconic film. I know you hate it, but I appreciate it for being a true crowd-pleaser it aims to be.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I know he has teen children, from another thread. He lives in Illinois; I'm really surprised he is apparently so unfamiliar with cinema. I think Brooks's newer films are only more accessible to younger people, anyway, although I wonder if one could really appreciate Men in Tights if they were too little when Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves was mainstream.

I don't appreciate crowd-pleasers very much. I understand exasperation with always hearing about what "everyone else has seen." This is cliché, but the difference is between "broad" and "deep" appeal. Some certain films are harder for a person to brush off when they have watched them. But in some other cases, he'd be justified, I think, to hold to his assumption that all hype is ultimately just hype.

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I don't like different perspectives. I think they're average and annoying. Highly overrated too.
    OMG, since when did you decide to become that kinda crybaby?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Not a crybaby, your constant condescension just annoys the fucking shit out of me. How's that?

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

the only way to see Jurassic Park is on a big screen! If it is just on your TV, it is not the same!

As far as LOTR, I actually would say the first one is my least favorite of the trilogy! I like all of them, but 2 and 3 are better!

And, one thing (of many) that I like about living in California is that it is not such a horrible thing to like movies and TV! Even the blockbusters!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Not a crybaby, your constant condescension just annoys the fucking shit out of me. How's that?
    Alright. Straightforwardness, I like.

I intended nothing personal against you. To me, it's just Spielberg who is condescending constantly...

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by Melike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    I mean, I have seen Gladiator, but still meh. I've also seen many better movies with the same general setting which seem to be so much less popular.
    I agree. I just couldn't get my hands on it. I do not care to see it.
    Pffft, more Joaquin for me.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Yeah! I loved Gladiator!

Death is Only a Door Emily will become famous soon enough Emily will become famous soon enough Emily's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

I actually love Gladiator I really love anything that has to do with Rome, and even though the film is in almost no way historically accurate, it's still fantastically entertaining to me. It also has one of my favorite scores of any film.

And yes Bethany, Joaquin can get it any day of the goddamn week.
    I had my infatuations, but we both know in our hearts who is the sole love of my short, bright life.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I intended nothing personal against you. To me, it's just Spielberg who is condescending constantly...
    I will be interested in your opinion of Lincoln if and when you see it. It's probably the least commercial film he's done in years.

I also love Gladiator. I love films like that. Braveheart is another one of my favorites. Phoenix was so good in Gladiator. "AM I NOT MERCIFUL?!" Love that scene.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I fucking love Gladiator. All of the arena fight scenes are amazing to watch in high-definition.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

I have seen 20 of the AFI's top 100 and some of those were for school.

I have to rewatch Fargo, I don't remember it being all that great.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

AFI TOP 100 Not only have I seen them all I own all 100 on DVD or BLU-RAY But what can I say I LOVE MOVIES.

THE TOP 10

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post

You know what? I wasn't sure that Fargo was all that great the first time, either. Rewatched, rethought, and finally decided that it is brilliant.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

You know what? I wasn't sure that Fargo was all that great the first time, either. Rewatched, rethought, and finally decided that it is brilliant.
    Same with me. I wasn't crazy about it the first time I watched it. Then I watched it again and I thought it was great. Sometimes time makes a film better. Especially if you watch a movie when you are young. I was 15 when I watched Braveheart with my dad and I thought it was so boring. I came back to it in my early 20's and I fell in love with it. Sometimes our brains develop to the point where we can really appreciate certain things.

Also, I've had Once Upon a Time in America on DVD for a few years now and I've yet to watch it.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Same with me. I wasn't crazy about it the first time I watched it. Then I watched it again and I thought it was great.
    Well, whatta y'know? -- We have an agreement!

Death is Only a Door Emily will become famous soon enough Emily will become famous soon enough Emily's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

Also, I've had Once Upon a Time in America on DVD for a few years now and I've yet to watch it.
    Now that is one movie that I truly loathe.
    I had my infatuations, but we both know in our hearts who is the sole love of my short, bright life.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Same with me. I wasn't crazy about it the first time I watched it. Then I watched it again and I thought it was great.
    Well, whatta y'know? -- We have an agreement!
    Might be the first time in 5 years.

Tempus, did you see the original version of Once Upon a Time in America or the unedited version Leone intended to release but couldn't because of the studio?

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

To be honest, I'm not positive on that. I'm assuming it was the original version, not the unedited one.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Same with me. I wasn't crazy about it the first time I watched it. Then I watched it again and I thought it was great. Sometimes time makes a film better. Especially if you watch a movie when you are young. I was 15 when I watched Braveheart with my dad and I thought it was so boring. I came back to it in my early 20's and I fell in love with it. Sometimes our brains develop to the point where we can really appreciate certain things.

I think I was 16 when I watched Fargo so its due for a rematch. I watched Braveheart with my dad when I was 8 or 9. He let us watch "historical" movies regardless of the rating.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I would recommend to keep it that way. Although I think I am one of the 0.1% of people that absolutely hated the film.
    I'm in there with you.

Must watch both! Start with the first immediately as it is the season
    I plan on watching It's a Wonderful Life as well as Miracle on 34th Street (I've never seen that one either).

I'll tell you one thing, though: if you own a television in this country and you've never seen It's a Wonderful Life, you are not only just not trying, I suspect that you have actually been trying just to not.
    That's an incredible accusation to make. That's like saying if you're an American and never had a cheeseburger, you've been avoiding it just to say you've never had a cheeseburger. Come on.

I remember mentioning in another thread recently that I have never even seen one Bond film either.
    Add me to that list, too.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Must watch both! Start with the first immediately as it is the season
    I plan on watching It's a Wonderful Life as well as Miracle on 34th Street (I've never seen that one either).

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I'll tell you one thing, though: if you own a television in this country and you've never seen It's a Wonderful Life, you are not only just not trying, I suspect that you have actually been trying just to not.
    That's an incredible accusation to make. That's like saying if you're an American and never had a cheeseburger, you've been avoiding it just to say you've never had a cheeseburger. Come on.
    No, it's only like saying if you're an American and never had a cheeseburger, you've been avoiding it, period. Nothing in there about why exactly you might have been avoiding it, just that it is hard to miss. I was being partly facetious, you see. Because it's shown so much every December. Get it? Ha-ha? Plus, it could be that one has just not gotten around to it, anyway, if that one happens to be still relatively young.

I own Fargo... I watch this movie a lot! The commentary is really good too! Interesting info.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

But my suggestion would be to watch Young Frankenstein! Mel Brooks's funniest, and that is saying something! After you find out how much you love it, also make sure not to miss:

Blazing Saddles
    High Anxiety
    The Producers
    (1968 )
    Silent Movie
    The Producers (2005)
    History of the World: Part I
    Spaceballs
    Robin Hood: Men in Tights
    Dracula: Dead and Loving It
    Spaceballs is actually one of my favorite movies of all time. I've also seen Blazzing Saddles, History of the World and Men in Tights. Young Frankenstein is just one that I've missed all these years for some odd reason.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Everytime I try to watch Gladiator, some other great movie comes between. Well, after positive things you all said, especially Bethany's remark , I decided to try harder.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast