Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies everyone else has seen except you

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    ...I actually have Lawrence of Arabia from Netflix sitting on my table. I've tried to watch this film 2 times before and I've been unable to. Not because I didn't like it, but because it takes such a time commitment.
    That film is the very definition of time commitment. I still remember the first time I watched it a few years ago, when the credits rolled I felt like Roland at the end of the Gunslinger, as if I had magically aged ten years

It's an amazing film though that deserves it's status as one of the all time greats. The cinematography especially is just so freakin'... amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    I'm a die hard Big Lebowski fan, but it almost needs to be watched twice. The first time I watched it I didn't totally "get" it, I came back to it a year after my original viewing and I fell in love with it. I now own 3 Big Lebowski T-shirts.
    I was exactly the same with Withnail & I, I really wasn't too sure about it at first. 2nd time, I got it, and then with multiple viewings, it's become my all-time favourite film. Sounds like Big Lebowski will be just my kind of film, then.
    I can definitely see you liking, possibly even loving The Big Lebowski. Let me know when you manage to check it out.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    : nods :

I remembered there was a film everyone has seen except us
    Let us keep it that way, Captain!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Please, people... Go and watch The Godfather (pt. 1 and 2 for certain) and Goodfellas.

I'm going to go "get the papers get the papers" and see when they are playing next!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I'm a die hard Big Lebowski fan, but it almost needs to be watched twice. The first time I watched it I didn't totally "get" it, I came back to it a year after my original viewing and I fell in love with it. I now own 3 Big Lebowski T-shirts.
    I was exactly the same with Withnail & I, I really wasn't too sure about it at first. 2nd time, I got it, and then with multiple viewings, it's become my all-time favourite film. Sounds like Big Lebowski will be just my kind of film, then.
    I can definitely see you liking, possibly even loving The Big Lebowski. Let me know when you manage to check it out.
    Me, too: Should be cross-posted to Personalized Film Recommendations for James.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus Frangit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Jurassic Park
    How
    is
    this
    POSSIBLE?
    both possible and advisable

: runs and hides :

Fight Club (the whole of it, anyway)
    The Big Lebowski
    Fargo
    ditto
    Not so Scarface, or you just didn't want to even dignify that one with response?

A lot of these I’ve seen bits and pieces of but I’ve never actually sat down and watched the entire movie from start to finish. Some are by choice simply because they don’t look interesting to me. Others I’ve just never gotten around to for one reason or another.

It's a Wonderful Life
    Casablanca
    Gone With the Wind
    The Sound of Music
    Jurassic Park
    Any of the Alien movies
    Any of the Predator movies
    Reservoir Dogs
    The Usual Suspects
    Young Frankenstein
    The Godfather Trilogy
    Goodfellas
    Pulp Fiction
    Blade Runner
    The Big Lebowski
    Most of the Harry Potter movies (I think I saw the first one)
    You have some great movie watching in your future, I envy you. Not knowing your taste, I can't say for sure which movies you are more inclined to like. I would say start with Jurassic Park. It's a pretty good crowd-pleaser. I noticed some Tarantino films on your list. I would say start with Reservoir Dogs. If you like that, move on to his other films. Some people either love or hate him.

I noticed some classic sci-fi franchises there. I would start with Alien. The first two are great then they fall apart. The first Predator is really good, but the second is just okay. Blade Runner is very different and I'm not sure if you will like that or not. Also, if you haven't seen those, it makes me wonder if you've seen The Terminator franchise. The first two are must sees. Goodfellas and Godfather are the staples of the mob genre.

This is a great thread. Even though I watch a ton of movies per year, there are still some classic films that I have yet to watch. I actually have Lawrence of Arabia from Netflix sitting on my table. I've tried to watch this film 2 times before and I've been unable to. Not because I didn't like it, but because it takes such a time commitment. Same goes for Chinatown.

I too have never seen the Harry Potter series. I'm hoping to read the books first, just hasn't happened yet. Damn you George R.R. Martin.
    Wow, Mike, you and I have such different perspectives! I barely agree with a thing you chose to say. Lawrence of Arabia takes commitment... but Chinatown? All you need the first time is a quiet room. (Probably at a family party, you could not follow and enjoy that, like you could The Sound of Music.) Same with Casablanca. Huge rewards if you can just leave the remote on top of the TV set.
    I don't understand how any of you read that list and pick out Jurassic Park to be shocked that he's never seen! I might skip that one, and Harry Potter (read the Crichton and Rowling) although all of those are worth seeing. (Including, even, 1 or maybe 2 of both Alien and Predator.)
    But my suggestion would be to watch Young Frankenstein! Mel Brooks's funniest, and that is saying something! After you find out how much you love it, also make sure not to miss:

Blazing Saddles
    High Anxiety
    The Producers
    (1968 )
    Silent Movie
    The Producers (2005)
    History of the World: Part I
    Spaceballs
    Robin Hood: Men in Tights
    Dracula: Dead and Loving It

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

To really enjoy YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN one MUST have seen Universal's Frankenstein & Bride of Frankenstein and the same is true with HIGH ANXIETY the viewer must know HITCHCOCK films & if one has not seen STAR WARS A NEW HOPE they will not enjoy the jokes in SPACEBALLS.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Very true... plus, Spaceballs also parodies half the rest of contemporary Sci-Fi. Not that I'd suggest subjecting yourself to all of that just to enjoy the relief in seeing it sent up. But if you have seen Star Wars: ANH, right there is your witness for a "Why does everyone else but me make such a big deal, anyway?" case.

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

A lot of these I’ve seen bits and pieces of but I’ve never actually sat down and watched the entire movie from start to finish. Some are by choice simply because they don’t look interesting to me. Others I’ve just never gotten around to for one reason or another.

It's a Wonderful Life
    Casablanca
    Gone With the Wind
    The Sound of Music
    Jurassic Park
    Any of the Alien movies
    Any of the Predator movies
    Reservoir Dogs
    The Usual Suspects
    Young Frankenstein
    The Godfather Trilogy
    Goodfellas
    Pulp Fiction
    Blade Runner
    The Big Lebowski
    Most of the Harry Potter movies (I think I saw the first one)
    Ones on your list I think you should watch immediately:
    Aliens
    Reservior Dogs
    The Usual Suspects
    Godfather 2
    Pulp Fiction

Ones on your list I also haven't seen and keep getting told I should (but don't really want to)
    Casablanca
    Gone With the Wind
    The Sound of Music

Others I haven't seen but the whole world seems to have:
    Schindlers List
    The King's Speech
    Slumdog Millionaire
    Rocky

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

I just did a quick test and I've seen 34 of the AFI's Top 100 Films. Does that tell you anything?
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have seen 51

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    I don't understand how any of you read that list and pick out Jurassic Park to be shocked that he's never seen! I might skip that one, and Harry Potter (read the Crichton and Rowling) although all of those are worth seeing. (Including, even, 1 or maybe 2 of both Alien and Predator.)
    Why wouldn't we be shocked that he hasn't seen Jurassic Park? It's a well known and well loved blockbuster. It's constantly being discussed, parodied and what have you, it's always a DVD-blu ray best seller etc., There's even a theme park ride for it. (which is amazing btw)

When people say to me "I haven't seen Casablanca" I'm in no way surprised because it's something that's not usually in the eye of the publics' collective consciousness outside of venues where film savy people discuss it, like here for instance. It's not a film that you're likely to come across unless you're actively looking for it.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I've yet to see Gone with the Wind actually, Fernando. I'm guessing it's as good as they say, then?
    No, not really.
    Agreed, I watched it just to see it but didn't really enjoy any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    : nods :

I remembered there was a film everyone has seen except us
    I would recommend to keep it that way. Although I think I am one of the 0.1% of people that absolutely hated the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus Frangit View Post
    Hey, I haven't seen The Shining woooo, freak out about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    It's a Wonderful Life (especially now that it's the Christmas season)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    ...or A Nightmare On Elm Street.
    Must watch both! Start with the first immediately as it is the season

This is a great thread. Even though I watch a ton of movies per year, there are still some classic films that I have yet to watch. I actually have Lawrence of Arabia from Netflix sitting on my table. I've tried to watch this film 2 times before and I've been unable to. Not because I didn't like it, but because it takes such a time commitment. Same goes for Chinatown.
    I still have both of these to watch as well. I tried Lawrence of Arabia awhile back for Feev, but couldn't get through it. I need to find the time to sit down and give it my full attention.

Some of the big ones I can think of that I haven't seen would be:
    The Sound of Music
    Blade Runner
    Godfather 2 and 3 (hated the first, so no intention of ever watching these two)
    Harry Potter movies (saw the first and also hated it, never read the books or plan to, so these I won't be seeing either)
    The last 2 Lord of the Rings movies (see above)
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

I haven't seen the Gladiator.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Don't talk to me.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Don't talk to me.

At least I watched the first, right? I gave them a chance.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Jurassic Park (is) constantly being discussed, parodied and what have you, it's always a DVD-blu ray best seller etc., There's even a theme park ride for it. ...
    ...Which has all turned a fairly average movie into a highly annoying one. This seems to me like an ideal thread for pointing up what are the vastly overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Melike View Post
    Meh.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bethany View Post
    I just did a quick test and I've seen 34 of the AFI's Top 100 Films. Does that tell you anything?
    I have seen 51
    You talking about this list?
    100 Greatest Movies - American Film Institute (PDF)
    Uh... I've seen 97. Damn, maybe I watch too much TV.

Don't talk to me.

And you didn't like?...

Jurassic Park (is) constantly being discussed, parodied and what have you, it's always a DVD-blu ray best seller etc., There's even a theme park ride for it. ...
    ...Which has all turned a fairly average movie into a highly annoying one. This seems to me like an ideal thread for pointing up what are the vastly overrated.

Meh.
    I know.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I mean, I have seen Gladiator, but still meh. I've also seen many better movies with the same general setting which seem to be so much less popular.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Meh. I don't think it's annoying or overrated. It's perfectly situated.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Don't talk to me.

*SIGH* I GUESS SO.

And you did watch T2 so I suppose I can't be too mad at you

Don't talk to me.

And you didn't like?...
    Yeah, I didn't care for either of them. I kinda knew going in, but watched them anyways.

I mean, I have seen Gladiator, but still meh. I've also seen many better movies with the same general setting which seem to be so much less popular.
    I agree. I just couldn't get my hands on it. I do not care to see it.

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

No Star Trek
    No Godfather
    No James Bond
    No LOTR
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Meh. I don't think it's annoying or overrated. It's perfectly situated.
    Cool. Welcome to different perspectives. I just don't understand it.

I'll tell you one thing, though: if you own a television in this country and you've never seen It's a Wonderful Life, you are not only just not trying, I suspect that you have actually been trying just to not.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't like different perspectives. I think they're average and annoying. Highly overrated too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast