Quote Originally Posted by ManOfWesternesse View Post
I have to admit that it annoys me greatly that Roland should sing the name of Hax at the Tower, and sing it in the company of all those names deserving of being sung there.
The young, un-tried, Roland liked the cook for simple childish reasons at one time, but the Roland who reached the Tower knew him for the traitor he was. He always made a great deal about the fact that he would sing names at the Tower "... there I will sing their names..." , that it seems an insult to them to sing Hax's name in their midst - never mind the insult to those who's names are not sung, but might have been...

I have wondered if this was just an oversight by king, but it seems unlikely - so it would be interesting to hear his reasoning on it...
I still think it is Roland not honoring Hax the person, but his own decision to turn in Hax as the "official" beginning of his road to the Tower. I don't think Roland was equating Hax with the others who helped him on his road, but just naming Hax as his first kill on this road.