Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chuck Palahniuk Thread

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Unfound One View Post
    Ah! I read Fight Club over my winter break this year and LOVED it.
    The book was a lot better than the movie, fo sho.
    But when isn't that the case?
    I still enjoy the movie though because I adore Edward Norton
    Unfound, I loved the book too, but I have to politely disagree. This is one case where the movie is even better (partly because the dialogue is almost verbatim from the book). I don't know, The cast is just fucking perfect. It was so well done...from cinematography to music to...whatever. I also liked the ending a lot better in the movie. The closing scene, with the buildings crashing down as the pixies start playing in the background... Better than the insane asylum, in my opinion.

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

You know what Jude? You may very well be correct.

I haven't seen the movie since I read the book, maybe watching it again will change my mind...
    I should do that.

Along the Path of the Beam Vasagi is on a distinguished road Vasagi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    BJ!! Nice to see you!

Anyways, I'm so glad you found Rant so intriguing. Seriously, I have never been left with more of a WHAT THE F???? HOLY COW!!!! feeling before upon finishing a book. I absolutely loved it. I feel it is the type of book though i will need to re-read a few times before I fully understand everything that went on in it.

R_of_G made good suggestions. I think you'd really like Choke...the main character is a sex addict.
    What? You trying to say something?

All I've gotta say about that is that it's a good thing the symptoms of sex addiction withdrawal aren't deadly. If sex were melange, I'd have been toast long ago

Anyhow ... thanks for the good suggestions all. I'll have to see what's available at the library.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I finally read FIGHT CLUB. Excellent book, as good or better than I expected (I had high expectations to begin with). I haven't seen the movie in years which helped make the book seem fresh.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Watch the movie Patrick. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised about how well David Fincher adapted it. The newer version also has a commentary with Chuck P, who was also very impressed. He actually enjoyed the ending as well.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I had seen the movie long before I read the book, but once I finished reading the story I had to go back and watch the movie, and I was surprised by how good of an adaptation it was. I loved how they used alot of the dialog straight from the story. And both Edward and Brad gave great performances. I'll have to grab that version with the commentary by Chuck. I'd love to listen to that.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Jude and Heather. I do plan to rent the movie again, probably next week. I'd love to hear Chuck's commentary.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Mr. Unlucky educatedlady will become famous soon enough educatedlady's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I recently read Diary and I really liked it...it was unusual but I liked it. For Christmas I was given Invisible Monsters but I haven't had time to read it. Anyone read it? Thoughts?

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Invisible Monsters is awesome! I really loved it. It's about a famous model who is horribly disfigured in an accident and how she changes her life. The story jumps back and forth in time throughout the whole book (Palahniuk says he wrote the story that way because he wanted it to be jumbled and confusing, like a fashion magazine).

Oh, and I read somewhere once that it was meant to be Palahniuk's first novel, but publisher after publisher rejected it, saying it was "too disturbing", so Fight Club was published first.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Believe everything Erin tells you about Palahniuk. She is Jack's expert knowledge.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by educatedlady View Post
    I recently read Diary and I really liked it...it was unusual but I liked it. For Christmas I was given Invisible Monsters but I haven't had time to read it. Anyone read it? Thoughts?
    i'm reading it now, well not right now, but it is my current fiction read and i am enjoying it a lot. truth be told, i hated diary, but love other Chuck P. Invisbile Monsters is a little more what I am looking for in a Chuck book.

I bought Diary when I was having trouble eating due to lack of money. I was very disappointed. I almost bought Invisible Monsters instead...mayhap I should have.

Citizen of Gilead jemaher will become famous soon enough jemaher will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Loved the movie Fight club... anyone read the book and watched the movie care to venture an opinion on which is better... i.e. should i ready the book now that i have seen the movie?

Quote Originally Posted by jemaher View Post
    Loved the movie Fight club... anyone read the book and watched the movie care to venture an opinion on which is better... i.e. should i ready the book now that i have seen the movie?
    Read the posts above.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I was quite disappointed with Diary when I first read it. However, I've read it twice since then and like it a lot more. It's one of those books that grew on me.

Thanks Erin, I might give it another shot at some point. Too much on the plate right now.

Gunslinger Apprentice Grillslinger is on a distinguished road Grillslinger's Avatar

SMOLEY HOKES!!! I just finished Rant and I think it's an amazing book. It may even be...gulp...my favorite.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

My thoughts exactly!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmmm... Maybe I'll have to read RANT sooner rather than later...

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

3rd Planet on the left in the Milky Way galaxy
    Country
    Country Flag

Anyone read any of his Non Fiction stuff? He wrote a great little book on my home town Portland OR about eclectic things to do around the city. He lists every thing from gay male bathe houses (it is Portland) to beautiful hidden hikes. Between the events he shares insight in growing up and living in Portland, where he is also from and currently resides.
    Also his Stranger Than Fiction is a non fiction book that talks about anything between wild sex festivals/concerts in Montana to cauliflower ear that wrestlers get from germs on the mat.
    His live readings are outrageous also. For such an eccentric writer he's very reserved at them. And he stays until everyone who wants an autograph gets them, no matter how late.
    Chuck rules!

"As for gunslingers, Roland," Cuthbert says, "I am here. And we are the last."

When two fit, it makes you think
    I got the cute one, my woman
    She says, "Lovin's all I bring"
    And it's her loving that's a wonderful thing.
    Lovin' yes we are, it's such a wonderful thing
    When two fit it makes you think
    See us both in the black
    She lays on me so relaxed.
    -Big D and The Kids Table

Along the Path of the Beam special k is on a distinguished road special k's Avatar

Im currently in the middle of lullaby though Im not feeling it as much as i was with survivor and choke.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Got home today, and what was waiting for me in the mail, but my new copy of Snuff signed by Chuck

I was really hoping to catch him on tour this year, as I missed the last one, but sadly he's coming nowhere nearby.
    It's my first signed copy of a book by any author so I'm excited!

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I nearly died looking how the body parts made the letters on his new book and the inside decoration. We were laughing so hard when we were putting it away at the bookstore today.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

HEATHER! That rocks! How cool!

I had no idea Snuff had come out already. I'm slacking on my Palahniuk!
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast