Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chuck Palahniuk Thread

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Skolpadda View Post
    You don't know Chuck until you've read his short story GUTS

WARNING!

You may think you know how over the top Palahniuk can get. This is a whole new level.
    I loved Guts a lot, it was perfect; but as far as his getting over the top, he surely didn't go as far as some Russian writers he is very similar to and, I would say, he inherits from (I have no doubt that he did read them, and in Russian).

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Traveler mr.nineteen is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Reading two Chuck books in a row is overwhelming, I also like to switch authors while reading. Although I remember reading all seven Narnia books in a week without ever stopping and got never tired of C.S. Lewis' style. Depends really, some authors can really be heavy in their narration.

And Jean, what Russian authors are those? I'd like to read them sometime.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am not sure they were ever translated into English. It's Alexander Bushkov, Dmitry Bykov, Victor Pelevin, Ludmila Ulizkaya, Tatiana Tolstaya, Michail Veller (even his style is very much like Palahniuk's), and Lubov Petrushevskaya.

Traveler mr.nineteen is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Oh thanks, I sure hope to find some translations of at least some of them, I can understand Spanish, English and some French, but not a thing of Russian.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Just saw on Chuck's website, that Choke got picked up at sundance and they already set a release date of August 1, 2008. So we won't have to wait too long.

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Palahniuk drives me crazy because he thrives on the gross-out. I think it's pretty juvenile. I loved Fight Club though (but because of the reason stated here, I liked the movie better. [I know that's literary blasphemy, sue me.]). Also, he creates these situations that are just too surreal, I can't take him seriously most of the time. I tried reading Haunted and after the second chapter I was rolling my eyes and wondering how he got published in the first place.

Country
    Country Flag

but there are some very good short stories in Haunted? If taken separatelym, I mean. I agree that a novel it is rather weak; the same with the only other by him I've read, Survivor: all separate parts are ok, some very sharp, some really brilliant, but they somehow don't add up to a convincing whole.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Try Lullaby. That's one of my favorites by him.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

i really enjoyed survivor. i can see where it might have some coherence issues, but overall i thought it held together alright.

Citizen of Gilead blackrose22 is on a distinguished road blackrose22's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

When I saw the name Chuck Palahniuk I wondered who??? Sorry but had never heard of him and no I haven't seen the film Fight Club either. After reading all the replies to this thread (especially Erin's) I can't wait to get some of his books to read. Going to see if the local video store has Fight Club to get a taste of what the books are like.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yay! Hopefully you will really like it blackrose22!
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Country
    Country Flag

Heading into town shortly to see what I can my hands on.

Country
    Country Flag

Couldn't believe my luck in the local branch of Easons as the only had one copy of Fight Club in stock so naturally I bought it . Then went to ExtraVison and they had Fight Club on dvd for just 7.99 euros so got it as well . Once I finsih the last two books in the Dune series I going to read Fight Club and then watch the film after. Can't wait.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Awesome deals! And it's good that you are planning on reading the book first...I saw the movie before reading the book and I had the image of Brad Pitt as Tyler Durden burned in my head. I like visualizing the characters myself before a movie trys to tell me who to see.

Anyhoo, you're in for a treat, I can't wait to hear what you thought of them.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Awesome deals! And it's good that you are planning on reading the book first...I saw the movie before reading the book and I had the image of Brad Pitt as Tyler Durden burned in my head. I like visualizing the characters myself before a movie trys to tell me who to see.

Anyhoo, you're in for a treat, I can't wait to hear what you thought of them.
    No worries on that score Erin as soon as I read Fight Club and watch the DVD I'll give you a full report on what I thought of them. It's going to a week or so till I get around to reading the book as I just started Heretics of Dune and want to read Chapter House Dune afterwards as these books have so much detail in them you can't rush them. Really looking forward to Fight Club.

Country
    Country Flag

Finally finished Chapter House so going to start Fight Club tomorrow evening. Can't wait to see is as good as people say.

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished Fight Club yesterday and loved it. I found his writing style a bit strange at first but once I got use to it I found the book a great and quick read. Funny and surreal at times and a fast momentum to the storyline. Love his characterisation and quirkiness of the people in the book. Watched the film last night and loved it as well. Edward Norton and Brad Pitt were brilliant and I couldn't get over how good Meatloaf was in it. Also loved Helena Bonham Carter she looked so much like how I had visualised Marla. There was a few changes to the film from the book but I thought this help the flow of the story in the film. Can't wait to read more of Chucks books.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yay!

So glad you liked it! Chuck Palahniuk's just great.

Along the Path of the Beam Vasagi is on a distinguished road Vasagi's Avatar

I was looking for a new author to check out, and was in the mood for something "out there", so I picked up a copy of Rant at the library the other day. Yeah ... it was pretty out there

The writing style turned me off a bit - I'm not too keen on the whole "oral biography" thing, where you're essentially reading a bunch of quotes from different people. It wasn't that bad, considering I've read a couple of other things recently written the same way ... it's just not my favorite style of writing.

It was also strange that a few fundamental things of the setting of the book weren't really explained until I was beyond half-way through it. Once I got to the point where the main character moved on from home, and things start getting explained, I couldn't put it down. The way things got tied together, inconsistencies were explained, and new questions raised the further I got just keept sucking me in deeper and deeper.

My reaction to the book kind of went from ... WTF?!? to 'Oh ... that explains a lot' ... to Dayum ... to WTF?!?

So yeah ... I was looking for a mindbender, and I found one. Any suggestions for a 2nd book to read from Palahniuk?

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Vasagi View Post
    I was looking for a new author to check out, and was in the mood for something "out there", so I picked up a copy of Rant at the library the other day. Yeah ... it was pretty out there

The writing style turned me off a bit - I'm not too keen on the whole "oral biography" thing, where you're essentially reading a bunch of quotes from different people. It wasn't that bad, considering I've read a couple of other things recently written the same way ... it's just not my favorite style of writing.

It was also strange that a few fundamental things of the setting of the book weren't really explained until I was beyond half-way through it. Once I got to the point where the main character moved on from home, and things start getting explained, I couldn't put it down. The way things got tied together, inconsistencies were explained, and new questions raised the further I got just keept sucking me in deeper and deeper.

My reaction to the book kind of went from ... WTF?!? to 'Oh ... that explains a lot' ... to Dayum ... to WTF?!?

So yeah ... I was looking for a mindbender, and I found one. Any suggestions for a 2nd book to read from Palahniuk?
    i particularly liked Choke and Survivor, not so much Diary. Reading Invisible Monsters now, which I am enjoying a lot.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

BJ!! Nice to see you!

Anyways, I'm so glad you found Rant so intriguing. Seriously, I have never been left with more of a WHAT THE F???? HOLY COW!!!! feeling before upon finishing a book. I absolutely loved it. I feel it is the type of book though i will need to re-read a few times before I fully understand everything that went on in it.

R_of_G made good suggestions. I think you'd really like Choke...the main character is a sex addict.

I'll have to give Rant a second try. I ended up putting it down and never finishing it. I'd recommend Lullaby and Fight Club. Those are my two favorites by him. Haven't read Choke though, but will have to soon before the movie comes out.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

The first half of Rant is nothing like the second half. Really, it becomes a completely different story. It's shocking.

Nice, I'm definately curious about it now. I'll give it another shot.

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

Ah! I read Fight Club over my winter break this year and LOVED it.
    The book was a lot better than the movie, fo sho.
    But when isn't that the case?
    I still enjoy the movie though because I adore Edward Norton

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast