Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chuck Palahniuk Thread

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

3rd Planet on the left in the Milky Way galaxy
    Country
    Country Flag

You don't know Chuck until you've read his short story GUTS

WARNING!

You may think you know how over the top Palahniuk can get. This is a whole new level.

"As for gunslingers, Roland," Cuthbert says, "I am here. And we are the last."

When two fit, it makes you think
    I got the cute one, my woman
    She says, "Lovin's all I bring"
    And it's her loving that's a wonderful thing.
    Lovin' yes we are, it's such a wonderful thing
    When two fit it makes you think
    See us both in the black
    She lays on me so relaxed.
    -Big D and The Kids Table

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

yes. It's the first story in Haunted. I loved every word.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I've only read one story in HAUNTED - the one about the CPR dolls. Pretty twisted.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

John F. Kennedy gunslinger19 is on a distinguished road gunslinger19's Avatar

I was curious about Chuck for a while because Fight Club is one of my favorite movies and a couple of years ago I finally picked up one of his books, Lullaby. I read nearly a third of the book before I even got home that day. After that I had to finish everything in his library, at the time anyway I still haven't read Guts yet. My favorite is a three way time between Lullaby, Survivor, and Fight Club.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

LULLABY was my first Palahniuk read as well.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Lullaby was a good read. I'm excited for Choke to be released. I'll be there to see it opening day. That's my favorite Palahniuk book.

Did anyone else write Chuck a letter last October? I got my response around a month later, along with a box of goodies. I guess he's not doing it again this year, but will open up for fan letters again soon enough. I'm waiting!
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I missed it last October Hannah. I check back from time to time on his site to see if he's opened it up again. Let me know if you see something before I do.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I will. I'm looking forward to writing him another letter.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Apparently Choke is premiering at Sundance. If anyone here gets the chance to go, let us know how it is.

Citizen of Gilead ATG is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I've never heard of this man.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I loved Survivor and Choke. Looking fwd to seeing Choke on the screen. Is somebody making Survivor as well?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I do remember reading something somewhere that someone was looking into making it in the near future. I'll see if I can find where I saw it.

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

3rd Planet on the left in the Milky Way galaxy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ATG View Post
    I've never heard of this man.
    Your missing out...one of the most eclectic writers to grace the industry.
    His stuff is out there. Completely out there.
    He'll make you feel dirty, and you'll love it.
    I would start with Lullaby...

"As for gunslingers, Roland," Cuthbert says, "I am here. And we are the last."

When two fit, it makes you think
    I got the cute one, my woman
    She says, "Lovin's all I bring"
    And it's her loving that's a wonderful thing.
    Lovin' yes we are, it's such a wonderful thing
    When two fit it makes you think
    See us both in the black
    She lays on me so relaxed.
    -Big D and The Kids Table

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I started with LULLABY.

what do you guys think of Diary? It was an interesting premise, but I never really got into it like I did the others of Chuck's works.

R of G, if you go to chuckpalahniuk.net and scroll down just a bit you'll see some info about a Survivor movie.
    Diary was the second book I picked up and I thoroughly enjoyed it. That's the one that really got me into his stuff. I had read Haunted first, and while I thought the premise was interesting, I just couldn't get into it that much. Some of the stories I liked, and some I didn't. So I decided to pick up another book by him to give him a second chance, and I've been reading his stuff ever since. I'd say Fight Club and Lullaby are my favorites. I'm currently reading Survivor which is also very good.

thanks for the info Heather!

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I can't remember where I read this and if it was true or not, but I remember back after September 11 occurred, reading an article that mentioned production on a Survivor movie had been postponed due to the sensitivity regarding the plane hijacking in the book, even though it was a completely different situation.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    what do you guys think of Diary? It was an interesting premise, but I never really got into it like I did the others of Chuck's works.
    I kind of had the same reaction. It took me a bit to start actually getting into it, but then I liked it just fine.

I had already read LULLABY, SURVIVOR, CHOKE, and INVISIBLE MONSTERS. Only I.M. took me longer to get into than DIARY.

I had read Choke and Survivor previous to starting Diary and it was just such a different read. I finsished it, but it took me a lot longer than the other two which were very quick reads because I got caught up in them so quickly. Still have to read I.M.

Gunslinger Apprentice AIMB will become famous soon enough AIMB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skolpadda View Post
    You don't know Chuck until you've read his short story GUTS

WARNING!

You may think you know how over the top Palahniuk can get. This is a whole new level.
    thanks a lot i thought i had succesfully surpressed that from my concious memory.

Gunslinger Apprentice AIMB will become famous soon enough AIMB's Avatar

oh and ill read any chuck p. book i can get but i am i the only person who thinks his books are a little redundant/pretintious in the way they are written?
    like i cant read two of his books in a row.
    maybe its the add haha

Traveler mr.nineteen is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I've read Fight Club, Survivor, Lullaby, Rant and Choke. And some short stories, like Guts. I liked Fight Club so much I even wrote an 4000 words essay on it for an assignment.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AIMB View Post
    oh and ill read any chuck p. book i can get but i am i the only person who thinks his books are a little redundant/pretintious in the way they are written?
    maybe its the add haha
    Given his distinctive style, I agree that, for me, it would be a bit much to read two in a row. I prefer to put other authors into the mix between his books. But then again, I do that with most authors (King and Gaiman being the only-sometimes exceptions).

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by AIMB View Post
    maybe its the add haha
    I think part of the reason why his books seem so redundant is his writing style. The narrator always seems the same. They have the same tone, the same attitude almost. He doesn't seem to give much of an individual tone to each character.

I still love me some Chuck though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast